side view mirror replacement options 2023 classic warlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
So I have two options. Replace the mirrors with (for lack of a better term) the smaller utility mirrors like those that were on the 2019, or go with the power folding mirrors which are quite a bit more expensive.

I'd prefer to go with the 2019 style mirrors to save myself some coin but a thought occurred to me that is giving me pause.

The 2019 style mirrors don't have an integral turn indicator like the existing mirrors do and I'm concerned that each time I start the truck that the computer will no longer sense a turn indicator on the mirrors and I will constantly get an error message on the dashboard display?

Edit: I'm not sure if the computer even runs any kind of "system check", I'm just trying not to step on anymore land mines before I proceed.

Not a problem if it "self" clears after 30 or 60 seconds or whatever but I can't turn the truck in with that going on when the lease expires.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.

And thanks for all the good advice I've received from everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
Decided to go with the power folding mirrors from Benny @ allmoparparts. More cost but I couldn't very well surrender the truck when the lease expires with the "utility" mirrors and swapping back to the originals at lease end would have cost more money.

This way I can at least sell the original mirrors at the end of the lease on craig's list or something and recover some of the cost of the power folding mirrors.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
Mirrors were installed today but they ran into a snag when they attempted to program them. Apparently before programming can be done with the OBD Genie they have to be configured and it appears that can only be done by a Ram dealership service center.

Problem is one dealer said they wouldn't have an open appointment for a month so the auto repair shop that did the install is trying to find alternative sources.

Might there be a way to configure it through the on star system or the Ram app on a smart phone? Edit: Can it be configured remotely?

This video at the 8min 06sec mark discusses a phone app the guy in the video used to program his power folding mirrors. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
Thank you.

The auto repair shop has an acquaintance with the appropriate programming kit but he's at some mopar event in Kentucky and won't be back until next Wednesday.

They exchanged text messages and he said he'd be happy to do it.

The mirrors are installed and in the extended position so I can drive the truck as is until next week.

dinoman

Reaction score
I'm very interested to know how this turns out for you, as I have a similar issue. Maybe I overlooked where it was mentioned which part you ended up going with, as I see your statement "Decided to go with the power folding mirrors from Benny @ allmoparparts", but when I go there to look for the same, I am not seeing any versions that fit this year and model. Did you end up going with a part that did not have a guaranteed match to 2023 Warlocks? Could you provide more details about which you went with?

Chainsaw_Monday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I've got the same "issue". 2022 Ram Classic Warlock, house built in 1965 lol. I park her in the garage every time I drive. Unless you live in the rainforest, either opening your door and folding the mirror(s) in or rolling down the window(s) for 5 seconds to do the same, isn't going to affect anything lol. Enjoy your truck.

dinoman

Reaction score
Personally I'm more interested in just ensuring the mirrors work as expected after swapping out the stock ones and updating the programming, less concerned about manual vs power folding "issue" :) Basically the dealership made it sound like it wasn't possible to swap, so just paranoid about buying a pair of tow mirrors that won't work as expected. Basically the only thing I miss from old ram.

Chainsaw_Monday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I do applaud your steadfastness to chase this down and get it done how YOU want it, not how the dealer or anyone else may have suggested possible. Do you mind sharing the part #(s) of what all you needed to order from Benny at allmopar? I may go the same route after reading through your thread.

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
These are the parts I bought from Benny.

Power Mirrors / Power Folding & Supporting required parts

2022 Ram 1500 Classic part # 68595447AA - Outside Rear-View Mirror, Left

2022 Ram 1500 Classic part # 68595446AA - Outside Rear-View Mirror, Right

2011-2022 Mopar part # 68225103AD - Door Module, Left

2011-2022 Mopar part # 68225102AD - Door Module, Right

2011-2022 Mopar part # 68590220AA - Front Door Switch And Bezel

Long story short, the dealership wasn't willing to help in any way shape or form so I had a local auto repair shop install the mirrors, modules, and bezel. However, they did not have an up-to-date dongle for my 2023 model year so they couldn't configure and program them.

One of their mechanics lives next door to a dealer technician and he agreed to do it but ran into a snag. Something about no sales code existing for these particular mirrors and my VIN. After calling someone in Detroit (CHY), he said they were going to actually write a sales code so he could program them for me. We never heard back from him and after two weeks called him and he said he wouldn't be able to do it.

It now seems the only way I'm going to be able to get these operational is if I buy an Alpha OBD or the OBDLink MX+ and use the JScan App.

I watched this video and it seems straightforward except for two issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgVoVlIK5tk

First, his Ram is a 2018 and mine is a 2023.

Second, he forgot to indicate the "state" the vehicle needs to be in ("run" vs "off") during the actual programming sequence so he overlays the video with text which IMO is not very precise. Skip to about the 7min mark in the video to get to the programming portion.

What I am in need of now is guidance on a number of issues.

Whether to go with the Alpha OBD or the OBDLink MX+ w/JScan App. I have an iPhone and a Windows laptop so the OS related to either type dongle is irrelevant.

Question 1. Which dongle is cheaper, easier to use, and more importantly, most reliable?

Question 2. Are there any instructions to be found anywhere that indicates which options to use in case my 2023 is different from the 2018 in the video?

Question 3. Is there any risk associated with using these dongles? I don't want to find out I inadvertently disabled my headlights or turn signals because I unknowingly fat-fingered something while trying to enable the power folding mirror option.

The funny thing is, I can adjust the actual mirrors and the integral turn indicators work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dinoman

Reaction score
I was too impatient to wait for Tony's results on his swap and what parts he ended up going with, but if anyone is curious I ended to l up purchasing a set of "‎Trail Ridge TR00042" tow mirrors, and they have been working perfectly so far on my 2023 Warlock. I didn't even have to hook up the OBD to reprogram anything, since I had power folding already. I knew I missed my those mirrors, but I didn't realize just how much until swapping the stock ones out with these haha. Not sure why the dealership was reluctant to do it, but I probably saved some doing myself anyways. Good luck to anyone on the same adventure.

dinoman

Reaction score
Although I can't say I had to end up doing it like I expected, if it helps, I was personally planning on using a "Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth OBD II" I bought a while back, combined with AlfaOBD app. I've used it for other vehicles in the past, but haven't used it yet on this truck. I won't say the interface is amazing, but it is a diagnostic tool. Looks like there are a few threads in here about OBD setups, so I'll have to defer to one of those who have actually had to do it on these models. I lucked out with my mirrors and existing config. Or maybe I'll end up doing it for something else, and I can report back at that point.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
@Mpgrimm2 Mike could you offer any insight as to what would be recommended as I do not have hand on experience with either Jscan or Alpha. We simply need to turn on power folding mirrors.

Thanks,
- Benny

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@AllMoparParts.com (Benny)

Not sure if you're referring to Tony or Dino ? ...
But if the trim level of truck didn't have it as an 'available' sales code option from the factory then dealer won't have the access to add it (ie heated seats were never an orderable option for a tradesman) and as such
.... it will have to be done with an aftermarket programming tool & interface Device (& A Security Gateway Bypass for 2018+ trucks)... Such as AlfaOBD/OBDLink MX BT adapter (very reliable) or Jscan/OBDLink MX BT adapter (simpler interface, may not work for everything AlfaOBD does), or obdgenie (unreliable, can't be verified, can't undo changes w/o trip to dealer) or Autel Maxisys or similar.

Here's some specific info to reference for the power fold side mirrors....

Ramforum thread - DIY: 2013-18 (19 classic) Power Fold Mirror upgrade/Notes

** AlfaOBD (for activating factory features yourself. See Docs linked in OP.)

---> OBDLink MX BT adapter

---> KaodTech Security Gateway Bypass

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
@AllMoparParts.com (Benny)

Not sure if you're referring to Tony or Dino ? ...
That was on my behalf but I'm sure others will appreciate the info you posted as much as I do.

I will carefully read through those links.

Hope you don't mind if I have a few follow up questions.

Thank you

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
@AllMoparParts.com and @mpgrimm2

I have a contact that might be able to do this for me and I'm waiting on a phone call.

In the mean time I read through most of the info @mpgrimm2 posted relating to PF mirrors and I solicited a reply from someone who posted a comment in this DIY Video.

I was planning on going with the OBDLink MX+ and JScan app used in that video because it's the closest thing I could find to a step-by-step video applicable to my situation.

I then went to obdlink.com to look up more info and I found this PDF on their support page website and noticed my 2023 model year wasn't listed.

Figured I better email them to make sure the OBDLink MX+ would work with a 2023 model year and this is part of what they replied.

I'm not sure what it means but it sure sounds like the OBDLink MX+ won't work on a 2023 and that even the AlfaOBD probably won't work because ...

"Starting from the model year 2018 (2017 Fiat 500L) Stellantis (FCA) installs the Security Gateway Module (SGW) blocking third-party diagnostics. AlfaOBD has no software solution yet. As a workaround please use a hardware SGW bypass module."

Mike replied with this in post #34 ".... it will have to be done with an aftermarket programming tool & interface Device (& A Security Gateway Bypass for 2018+ trucks)... Such as AlfaOBD/OBDLink MX BT adapter (very reliable) or Jscan/OBDLink MX BT adapter (simpler interface, may not work for everything AlfaOBD does), or obdgenie (unreliable, can't be verified, can't undo changes w/o trip to dealer) or Autel Maxisys or similar."

And unless I'm misunderstanding him, he seems to say that a security gateway bypass for 2018+ should work.

Sorry if I'm not understanding something.

I'm ready to buy the OBDLink MX+ and use the JScan app if I can get confirmation they will work. Also willing to get AlfaOBD instead of JScan if that is a better choice but as stated above, I'd rather do MX+ and JScan so I can use the step-by-step in the video as a guide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
Here is my inquiry to OBDLink.com

Hi,I'm about to purchase an OBDLink MX+ in order to enable the power folding option on a set of Mopar exterior side view power folding mirrors for my 2023 Ram 1500 Classic. It appears that it does not based on your OEM-Specific Enhanced Diagnostics Support Coverage pdf but I'm finding other sources telling me that it will. Please advise. Thanks.

Here is their reply.

Hi Anthony,

The document you are referring to specifically refers to the vehicles that are supported by the OBDLINK APP's OEM data that the app has access to. It does not necessarily list ALL that OBDLink MX+ is capable of, just what is available with the OBDLink app.

For your specific use case, MX+ can be used with AlfaOBD to configure the ECU of a vehicle, but since we are not the developers of AlfaOBD, I can not tell you if your exact vehicle supports this exact feature.

I would advise you to visit their website(AlfaOBD.com)or a forum for your vehicle to confirm if users have successfully done this with a 2023 Ram yet.

Lastly, due to the year of your vehicle, I will post the following below from their website:

1. Security Gateway bypass (model years 2018 and later)
Starting from the model year 2018 (2017 Fiat 500L) Stellantis (FCA) installs the Security Gateway Module (SGW) blocking third-party diagnostics. AlfaOBD has no software solution yet. As a workaround please use a hardware SGW bypass module.

Owners of Alfa Romeo Giulia / Stelvio, Fiat 500X / Argo / Chronos / Toro, Jeep Renegade / Compass MP, Ducato Serie 8, RAM ProMaster 2022+, make sure that the bypass supports the second high-speed CAN bus. This bus is connected to the pins 12 and 13 of the car OBD socket.
Here are some recommended SGW bypasses:
North America:

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_dbp/ - 2018+ Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw/ - All Stellantis (FCA) vehicles including Alfa Romeo and Fiat Platforms with the second High-Speed CANBUS (Alfa Romeo Giulia / Stelvio, Fiat 500X / Toro / Jeep Renegade / Compass MP)
https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass - RAM/Dodge/Jeep
https://ecri.app/products/ecri-security-module-bypass-2018-jeep-ram
Europe:
https://electronic-fuchs.de/en/search?q=bypass
https://www.obdauto.fr/boitier-bypa...les-fca-fiat-chrysler-automobiles-c2x28773236
https://www.obdauto.fr/cable-sgw-special-vehicules-fca-8-voies-12-voies-c2x29793057
Any other compatible bypass should also be fine, if in doubt please confirm the compatibility with the bypass distributor / manufacturer.

It is a good idea to disconnect the bypass before visiting your dealer as the dealer tools will fail with the bypass installed.​

Warm regards,
Shubert
OBDLink Technical Support
Support hours: Monday–Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm MST (GMT–7)

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
@Mpgrimm2 Hey Mike, We could use some insight here. For a 2018+ 4th gen is a gateway bypass required to enable power folding mirrors? I am reading some mixed info.

Thanks
- Benny

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm out on vacation this week.

OBDLink MX 's app has nothing to do with this and asking them won't matter, it's just a hardware interface device ... AlfaOBD & Jscan are the important programming apps.

Whether Tony goes with AlfaOBD (what most Members here use) or Jscan is up to him... He will need to look through the YouTube videos and decide on one.

Either way he will need the OBDLink MX BT adapter and a Security Gateway Bypass.

If Tony's not feeling comfortable with either of those, there's always an obdgenie, but it will also require a Security Gateway Bypass.

OP
OP
T

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
I'm out on vacation this week.

OBDLink MX 's app has nothing to do with this and asking them won't matter, it's just a hardware interface device ... AlfaOBD & Jscan are the important programming apps.

Whether Tony goes with AlfaOBD (what most Members here use) or Jscan is up to him... He will need to look through the YouTube videos and decide on one.

Either way he will need the OBDLink MX BT adapter and a Security Gateway Bypass.

If Tony's not feeling comfortable with either of those, there's always an obdgenie, but it will also require a Security Gateway Bypass.
Thanks Mike.

What was confusing me was that I did not understand there something called a security gateway module in CHY vehicles that needs to be overridden before a CHY vehicle's ECU can be accessed by software such as AlfaOBD or the JScan app.

The security gateway module is overridden by using a security bypass cable.

Edit: What I didn 't understand was that both connectors of the security gateway cable plug into the security gateway module. I was thinking in linear terms and it didn't occur to me what we're doing is "jumping" the security gateway module in the same way I jumper the inputs of some of my guitar amplifiers.

Once that is done the AlfaOBD or the JScan app software can access the ECU via an aftermarket programming interface such as the OBDLink MX+.

If I have all that right, the next step is locating the security gateway module on my truck.

I found this link and searching through the list the closest vehicle to mine they have listed is a 2021 Classic and it indicates the security gateway module is behind the radio. :mad:

Can anyone tell me where the security gateway module is located on my 2023 1500 Classic?

Thanks.

Last edited: