Since the F250 has 930 foot pounds of torque does it tow more than the ram Cummins 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Since the F250 has 930 foot pounds of torque does it tow more than the ram Cummins 2500?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Chevy, Ram, and Ford diesels are all capable of towing way more than the average person that buys these will ever actually tow. They can all have 1000ft/lbs, but it’s unnecessary and just a bragging numbers game.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 3/4 ton should never pull as much as they are rated. The trucks are not heavy enough for a 9 ton trailer.

Also the Cummins and the Powerstroke are 2 very different motors. The cummins is a slow churn down low torque machine, the powerstroke is a high rev motor. They work, feel, drive, operate, very differently.

If I were buying a 3/4 ton I would get the Ford as untrailerd or only a weekend tow rig they are frigin rocket ships, fast and powerful. If I were pulling 15000 lbs daily Id get a cummins as they have better low end grunt to get things moving and chug along at low rpms.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have to look at some numbers to do a real comparison. GVWR & payload are part of that calculation.

Which truck can haul more depends on how much the truck weighs, loaded, with gear passengers & fuel. You also need to add trailer tongue weight or pin weight to that number. That's the gross vehicle weight which, hopefully, should be under the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Most 2500 Ram trucks have a GVWR of 10,000 lbs.

The trucks also have a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating which represents the truck's weight and the weight of what it is towing. Most 2500 trucks have a GCVWR of 24,300 lbs.

Basically, if the 2500 is loaded close to max GVWR (10K) and their GCVWR is 24,300 lbs then it would still be in spec if the trailer weighs something less than the difference, i.e., 14,300 lbs.

This is a simplistic calculation and there are other variables that figure into what you can tow, and generally reduce what you can actually tow and still be in spec but this gives you a pretty good idea of the general capacity.

So now you can dig up the Phord specs, check those numbers and see which one has the bigger difference.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now you can dig up the Ford specs, check those numbers and see which one has the bigger difference.

Depending on cab and trim its within the same numbers. The 250 is rated for a conventional trailer of 18000. Thats best case with all proper packaging. Really the differences between all big 3 are a few hundred pounds when spec'd out.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Depending on cab and trim its within the same numbers. The 250 is rated for a conventional trailer of 18000. Thats best case with all proper packaging. Really the differences between all big 3 are a few hundred pounds when spec'd out.

Yeah, they are. I looked at all of them when my 2014 2500 was totaled. I noted the specs were so close that it came down to which one I liked the best from an appearance, option and driving perspective. I chose Ram...again... and couldn't be happier with the truck.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
A 3/4 ton should never pull as much as they are rated. The trucks are not heavy enough for a 9 ton trailer.

Also the Cummins and the Powerstroke are 2 very different motors. The cummins is a slow churn down low torque machine, the powerstroke is a high rev motor. They work, feel, drive, operate, very differently.

If I were buying a 3/4 ton I would get the Ford as untrailerd or only a weekend tow rig they are frigin rocket ships, fast and powerful. If I were pulling 15000 lbs daily Id get a cummins as they have better low end grunt to get things moving and chug along at low rpms.
Agree with you except for they shouldn’t pull as much as they’re rated for. That’s what they have ratings. The truck can handle what it’s rated for

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

I thought diesels (like the power stroke) are low REv Motor

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Yeah, they are. I looked at all of them when my 2014 2500 was totaled. I noted the specs were so close that it came down to which one I liked the best from an appearance, option and driving perspective. I chose Ram...again... and couldn't be happier with the truck.
Why was your truck totaled?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Because somebody hit me, that's why:

20170324_130409_zpsnslamxi3.jpg

052516%20Cedar%20Ram%2002_zps7vguppv3.jpg

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Wait... how did this thread find its way to 5th Gen??

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@MADDOG , I wanna :doublepuke: everytime I see this. You must have been an emotional wreck.

It definitely sucked. I still kinda miss that black beast but the red one is coming along nicely.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The Cummins and Powerstroke use separate SAE standards two achieve their power. You could have two identical engines, but achieve different power numbers using either of these ratings. Another thing, the Powerstroke's ratings decrease as you gain altitude(per Ford) while the Cummins' power level is good up to 10k ft. This is more than likely attributed the different turbo efficiencies of the two.

Diesels are low revers compared to gas engines. However, just like gas engines, there are some that have a longer stroke for more torque down low or a short stroke for higher revs. Think of a longer cheater bar adding torque to shorter wrench and it is the same as how a longer piston rod applies more torque the crank than a shorter one. While all three diesels get peak torque at around the same rpm at wide open throttle with the turbo at full boost, the Cummins has more what I refer to as naturally aspirated torque than the other two due to its much longer stroke. You can really tell the difference in part throttle where the Cummins does not need as much revs or boost to make torque while the others do.

The downside to the Cummins is the transmission and torque converter it is hooked up to.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
These guys have some great comparison videos of all the HD trucks. They run a variety of towing tests with them. Here is just one on efficiency but they have other on max capacity etc if you search their channel. Good stuff.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
These guys have some great comparison videos of all the HD trucks. They run a variety of towing tests with them. Here is just one on efficiency but they have other on max capacity etc if you search their channel. Good stuff.

Love that Harvester Blue. Retro.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Only benefits to the ford over the ram 2500 is the 2500 you get the 68rfe vs Ford 6r140. Ram gets reduced power but still 800 ft lbs of torque isn’t bad considering they all max out on towing 17k to 18k w reg cabs. 3500 is where you get the big boy Aisin trans and the most torque.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

Yes, when compared to gas motors.

However, the Cummins is a straight 6 and the PS is a V8. V8s were designed to run at high RPM (with two engines of the same displacement, the one with more cylinders will generally rev higher - consider a Harley Sporster and a Ninja as an extreme example).

I have a '17 3500 4x4 single cab long bed CTD. Unloaded, at 65 it's turning about 1,100 RPM with almost no boost. It's getting 20+ mpg at that point. As for power and towing, both trucks have plenty of torque for towing heavy loads. Both are "fast" when empty. I gave a friend a ride, and nailed the throttle - his only comment was "oh damn, this is quicker than my WRX".

Honestly, wither one will easily go faster that you should on public streets, and they are both good trucks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel