So I just sold my new Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The other thing was all the things you hear to solve the annoying things. MDS bothersome? Just scroll to 8th gear every time you put it in drive. Or buy a tuner. Sluggish? Buy a pedal commander. Lifters/cam aren't oiling well? Just buy this special oil and keep the rpm's above 2k and don't let it idle much.

Its just like damn I never had to worry about any of that crap in my previous old trucks.

This truck was SO close to being right. Like 95 percent.

For what it's worth, I heard ram keeps the MDS Stuff because of government regulations. I wondered why ford doesn't have it? While watching a tear down vid of the 7.3 godzilla engine they mentioned it has a variable pressure oil pump, which changes depending on driving demands (cruising/idling/towing etc). Certainly seems questionable to me, but time will tell. Nothing's perfect.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You’re going to be disappointed with anything you purchase, I’m afraid. Each manufacturer has their own solution to pacify the EPA and satisfy the consumer.

The more you read, watch and research, you’ll find more reasons not to purchase this or that.

dbctmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hate to hear that you had problems. Mine has been great so far (16,000 miles). I think the MDS sound & vibration is more of an issue for us 6.4 owners. Most 5.7 owners don't seem to mind it. I really wish FCA/RAM would give us an option in the settings to permanently turn it off. It should just require a programming update. I have been especially impressed with the build quality (fit & finish) with my 2500, so it sounds like you got a bad one. I don't blame you for selling it. Good luck with whatever you end up getting!

David

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You young guys whine too much about every little thing...... Had Trucks for 50 years....you couldn't own one of the earlier models be it Chevy, Ford or Dodge.... these new Rams are the best I've ever owned, they ride like a Imperial,handle like a sports car and get great mileage for a truck. and no road noise....maybe some of you cupcakes go drive a 1967 or 73 truck for a year and then see what the difference is...that is if you have any Kidneys left !!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have never added a drop of oil to the last 2 or 3 5.7L motors but never had the 6.3.
I can;t remember any problems, but if I had what you had I would be worried as well.
But I sure as hell would not be selling a truck because of yahoo's on the web ******** about lifers.
But I am never listen to advice anyway, never changed a lifter eather in all the ones I have had.
I run 5-20 syth. oil

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Sorry to hear of the issues. No issues here with you moving to something that makes you more comfortable. I drive all three trucks again before I buy a new truck; don't get me wrong, my wife doesn't like the GM or the Ford, but it needs to be fair and honest, so we always try to test several trucks.

I drove the 6.2 F250 and it was pretty good but nothing special. The 7.3 wasn't an option when I was buying, but I hear the 7.3 tows like a beast (TFL Truck), but I think the 6.4 does pretty well. I drove the GM 6.6 gasser and it felt a bit lackluster, and the interior was far more lackluster with hard "rental car" seating, so if I opted out of my Ram , I'd likely go with the 7.3 powered Ford if one was available.

I have a couple issues with my '19 6.4, one being the squeaky left front caliper (I think) and the flimsy hood. I wish I had the Big Horn seats with the power lumbar and split folding rears because after towing a few thousand miles my lower back was destroyed. With that being said, the Ford dealer and service dept near me is lackluster so it makes it very hard to buy a Ford, especially since they think their trucks are made of gold and price accordingly.

Please share what you end up with and how you like it; even though this is a Ram forum, I'd love to know the real world, unbiased comparisons between what you had and what you got after the same number of miles.

Best of luck!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You young guys whine too much about every little thing...... Had Trucks for 50 years....you couldn't own one of the earlier models be it Chevy, Ford or Dodge.... these new Rams are the best I've ever owned, they ride like a Imperial,handle like a sports car and get great mileage for a truck. and no road noise....maybe some of you cupcakes go drive a 1967 or 73 truck for a year and then see what the difference is...that is if you have any Kidneys left !!

Trucks also cost WAY more (way more even with inflation factored in) than they used to, so we expect a LOT more out of them. I've had old ****** riding trucks without a/c or other creature comforts for years, big difference was I paid hardly anything for them compared to the 3 rams I've had. So they better be a lot nicer.

I like having a nice modern truck, but I do balance it out with my 1966 Lesabre that I've had for 17 years, best of both worlds!

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
If (when) I sell mine it won’t be for issues, rather for capability.

We are looking at purchasing a larger travel trailer or motor home in the next 12-18 months and all chips are on the table.

If it makes more financial sense to pick up a 3500 DRW and travel trailer instead of a motor home, I’ll be shopping.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I love my Rams BUT that said you are the one paying for your truck and if unhappy than you have to do what you think is right , Myself I would look into maybe a 5.7 engine as the oil is easier to get in any auto parts store or even major markets . Good luck on your next truck .

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
The vibration was not caused by MDS. My guess is you have the truck levelled or lifted, which is almost always the cause for vibration at speed.

And, the lifter issues was past versions of this engine, not yours. Plenty of folks here getting 1/4 million miles and zero issues. 4 out of 5 is a bit off. More like 1 out of 5.

Also, Ford? Found On Road Dead? Look into Ford engine failures, you'll find some there too. What I see is the 6.4 is tried and true, problems known and fixed. The Ford 7.4 is brand new, no idea what issues it faces. Risky. Much more risky than what you were first concerned about.

Owning a vehicle is not a freebie. Some have issues, most don't, no matter who makes it. If you'd got the 8y 125K mile warranty, then you are covered for the "I need 125K with no problems" scenario. And if it were needing major service, you'd know you are good for many many more miles after that.

Last edited:

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many engine manufacturers have oil consumption for the first 5k. My previous Ford did and it turned out fine and even Porsche states consumption is normal in the first 5k. I had a Chevy that consumed oil for 100,000 miles or so before I traded it. Obviously, that wouldn’t have been cool with a new truck to continue to use oil. I agree on the PUP and refuse to order oil on the internet. I’ve ran Mobil 1 for 35,000 miles without any issues. I just don’t see how PUP is so special! Keep in mind Fiat owns Penzoil and is probably why they did that stupid certification.

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Out of your problems the 2 qts low on oil in 4k miles would have worried me the most. That's usually not something that tends to fix itself over time either.

MDS seems to bother some more than others, I can hear and feel it (ever so slightly in both cases) but it doesn't bother me at all - actually at times I try to drive in MDS, nothing like getting 28-30 mpg @ 50 mph with a hemi and 3.92 gears.

The 6.4 has MDS? It didnt in my 2016.

MrR2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since 2014 all 6.4's had MDS

7.3 have already had their share of failures, they had a stop order due to engines not being built right, leaking oil, broken plastic oil pans. Been reading on some Ford forums. I looked at a 2020 F250 7.3 XLT, Tremor package for 61k... that is crazy price for an XLT

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Plastic oil pans?!? Did I read that right....

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Been nice having you around and sorry to see you go. As my friends in the Bible belt say, "Don't let the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'".

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
As a 5.7 guy , I don't understand this special oil thing, Before I retired I bought oil in 45 or 30 gallon barrels, mind you I went 5/20 syth in the Rams , it gets cold up here.
The first one I had ( well Dad bought it new) was 1949 Fargo 2 ton, one value job, 1950 or 60's a few sets of points, couple brake lines, one Vacuum shiftier for the 2 sp rear end, and new plywood for the box floor and a few tire, never change the brakes, you did not need them that often, Still in use in 2011 when I quite. I also redid the seat cover x2

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the OP is without a truck right now, we can’t run out that he won’t show back up in a Ram after he looks over the competition. Or, maybe a Cummins?? I would recommend giving the 6.4 a shot again in the Power Wagon. Some how, us PW guys seem to have good luck with our 6.4s.