spongey brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamdrives

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hey guys, I just picked up my first truck ever, a 98 2500 gasser 4x4 with the 8' bed. 137k on it, got a great price and loving it so far. I bought the truck with the intention of towing a trailer and car to the track (well, that's really just a happy side effect, after I test drove this I just had to get it). I've been a Volvo mechanic for about 3 years so I'm not a stranger to turning a wrench, but I'm sure I still have a lot to learn.

Couple questions: I've searched around and a few other members on various threads have talked about a persistent, mysterious, spongey brake pedal. Since I'll be towing with the truck, I wanted to make sure the brakes are completely serviceable. It has discs in front and drums in the rear. I flushed the fluid, put heavy duty pads towing pads in front and made sure the slides were free and lubricated, but I still don't feel confident in how this thing stops. It stops, but there is a hesitation from when I begin pushing down on the pedal to when I can actually feel the brakes engaging. Most of the time, I don't notice it and begin braking early, but if I stomp on the pedal to mimic a panic stop, the pedal has a decent amount of travel before anything starts happening. Even then, it doesn't feel anywhere close to needing the abs to prevent the wheels from locking up.

Because the fluid was so dark and it seemed like the pedal sank a little with the pedal fully pumped up with the truck not running, I replaced the master cylinder, but that didn't improve anything. I adjusted the rear shoes (the automatic adjusters were frozen from the truck sitting before I got it) so they just start to rub the drums, but that didn't help much either. I adjusted the loose parking brake cable as well, just to be thorough. One of the wheel cylinders was seeping a little, so I replaced both for good measure. Still no real change.

Any ideas? I'd like to think this through before I just start replacing everything. I've heard some people say the front hoses can swell under pressure, I've always thought of this as an old wives tale, but maybe I'm wrong. Or, is that just how these trucks are? Like I said, this is my first truck, and she's about as big and heavy as they come, so maybe comparing it to a passenger car/european SUV is unreasonable. The only other ram I've driven is the 01 1500 the aamco next door uses to haul scrap, and it feels like it will stop on a dime, but that's a half ton.

Any help is appreciated.

Adam

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamdrives

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
posted in the wrong section, mods please delete.