swap my 66RFE for a G56....cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whats the reason for the swap, reliability? I have an 18 G56 i drove off the showroom floor, and I love it, dont get me wrong, but its really a Slug to get Moving compared to an Auto, especially towing.
I know you wont have the detuned motor like the factory g56 comes with, but its really the gearing more than the motor. That transmission is geared low in the first 3, and reverse is ridiculously geared high. Reverse is Useless with any kind of weight behind it without low range.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Whats the reason for the swap, reliability? I have an 18 G56 i drove off the showroom floor, and I love it, dont get me wrong, but its really a Slug to get Moving compared to an Auto, especially towing.
I know you wont have the detuned motor like the factory g56 comes with, but its really the gearing more than the motor. That transmission is geared low in the first 3, and reverse is ridiculously geared high. Reverse is Useless with any kind of weight behind it without low range.
Don't tow very much but sometimes we do, mostly working in the bush getting wood, clearing trails, recovering vehicles off winter roads, carrying heavy loads.. then there's hunting, fishing, hiking and the list goes on. The low n slow work the truck does is a tranny killer. In the past we had a a 80 power wagon 4 speed that did all that work and never failed. The 1500's we had between the PW and this 2500 never stood up and the one thing we really like is the suspension on the newer 2500. So just out to make the perfect truck

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
O.k I just re-read your post and understand this is going in the Hemi.. Many folks swap out the 68 and use the G56 in the Disel, I think you are the first one I have read to do it in the Hemi... In that situation I will say it should be a vast improvement! We owned a 2016 Hemi 2500 6.4 we bought new also, and My biggest complaint int hat truck was the transmission gearing when towing and that annoying gap in 1st to 2nd. This will work nicely for you, good luck.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
O.k I just re-read your post and understand this is going in the Hemi.. Many folks swap out the 68 and use the G56 in the Disel, I think you are the first one I have read to do it in the Hemi... In that situation I will say it should be a vast improvement! We owned a 2016 Hemi 2500 6.4 we bought new also, and My biggest complaint int hat truck was the transmission gearing when towing and that annoying gap in 1st to 2nd. This will work nicely for you, good luck.
That is annoying with the 6.4. Why on earth Dodge/Ram used the same transmission gearing on the Hemi as they use on the Cummins is beyond me.....just lazy engineers or pencil pushers. The Hemi mated to a manual would be great.