Switching to 87 octane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alrighty so Im closing on a house tomorrow. My truck currently is tuned to 93 octane. I have a 87 octane tune aswell (both from Jay). I want to save some money / don't exactly know the new area too well and not every station has 93 octane.

So want to ask you guys. No one possibly sees an issue with me detuning my truck to 87 and running that for a few months while I get to know the area better? Engine is stock other than a air intake.

I don't see an issue with it. Manual states 89. But research shows A LOT of people run 87. I've never put 87 in.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
As long as you have a tune for 87 octane... You can run 87 octane.

The truck will obviously not perform as well on 87 versus 93. but as long as the tune can account for the lower octane, and adjust timing you wont have an issue.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
As long as you have a tune for 87 octane... You can run 87 octane.

The truck will obviously not perform as well on 87 versus 93. but as long as the tune can account for the lower octane, and adjust timing you wont have an issue.

Pretty much this.

On a somewhat related note - what are everyone's thoughts on running ethanol free in our trucks?

I run ethanol free in my '70 Dart, but I have an LA-based 408 stroker in it, not one of these fancy hemis...

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '16 2500 with the 6.4. Ran several thousand miles on the recommend 89 octane and now in the process of running on 87 octane. This includes a few 6-7 hour round trips on the freeway pulling a smaller trailer. As of right now I am seeing no difference in fuel economy and don't notice any obvious seat of the pants performance difference. All modern vehicles have knock sensors and other data that allows them to adjust the timing if needed to accomodate for pre-detonation (pinging). Granted that does slightly reduce performance.

Have to respond to the comment about 87 octane only being for 4 cylinder engines......the octane rating has absolutely zero correlation to the size of an engine or number of cylinders.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Pretty much this.

On a somewhat related note - what are everyone's thoughts on running ethanol free in our trucks?

I run ethanol free in my '70 Dart, but I have an LA-based 408 stroker in it, not one of these fancy hemis...

Fuel system components in modern vehicles are more than capable of handling the small percentage (up to 15%) of Ethanol in gasoline these days.

Ethanol should also, in theory help to reduce carbon buildup on the piston tops.

With that said, either way, the truck wont care. you might see a TINY increase in gas mileage running Non-ethanol fuel.

OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool deal glad the general agreement is that 87 is no problamo. I understabd I'll lose some performance in the mean time. Im not red lining a lot I'm fine with that. Plus I can always switch back once I find a good gas station.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't speak for anyone else, but, on average here in central Oklahoma, the highest octane fuel that is normally offered is 90% Octane. I've NEVER seen any gas station here with that high of an octane rating....our gas stations normally run regular 87% / 87%+10%Ethanol / 89% and 90% octane.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BREAKING NEWS: Not all states run high octane fuels. The main reasons states have high octane fuel is for POLLUTION REASONS. It means your state has a higher standing in pollution ratings. Oklahoma has a low standing, thus we do not need high octane fuels. As for high octane being better, technically it's not. The higher octane simply means the fuel burns SLOWER and more completely, producing less carbon pollution. It was never created for racing (atleast the street version of fuel). As for saying 89% octane fuel is for 4 bangers and lawn mowers only, that is a statement of ignorance. In general most modern 4 cylinder engines are technically more advanced and of a higher performance design than the 5.7 Hemi's. So, don't discount the lower octane fuels. After all, your driving a pickup, not a Dodge Viper or Lamborghini. If you were all that concerned about performance, you would have never purchased a TRUCK.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I have a '16 2500 with the 6.4. Ran several thousand miles on the recommend 89 octane and now in the process of running on 87 octane. This includes a few 6-7 hour round trips on the freeway pulling a smaller trailer. As of right now I am seeing no difference in fuel economy and don't notice any obvious seat of the pants performance difference. All modern vehicles have knock sensors and other data that allows them to adjust the timing if needed to accomodate for pre-detonation (pinging). Granted that does slightly reduce performance.

Have to respond to the comment about 87 octane only being for 4 cylinder engines......the octane rating has absolutely zero correlation to the size of an engine or number of cylinders.

Exactly! Compression ratio is far more important in determining what octane rating to use than the number of cylinders. As someone else already said, modern computer-controlled engines have knock sensors to retard timing in order to combat knocking and pinging. I've run 87 exclusively in both of my 5.7 hemis with absolutely zero issues.

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve run both using the Diablo 87 and 93 tunes (and 91 too). Performance wise I notice a little difference but nothing major if you prefer the money saved. If I data log with the Diablo I definitely get a lot of knock on the 87 tune whereas I get very little or none on the 91 and 93 tunes with the right fuel.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Stick with premuim fuel and tune.

Sure are wasteing your money on somthing else.

Wife ****** away $2500 on smokes, $1000 on CPOD medicine a year'

Prem gas is chump change !!

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fuel system components in modern vehicles are more than capable of handling the small percentage (up to 15%) of Ethanol in gasoline these days.

Ethanol should also, in theory help to reduce carbon buildup on the piston tops.

With that said, either way, the truck wont care. you might see a TINY increase in gas mileage running Non-ethanol fuel.

I can't stand that Ethanol garbage . Contrary to popular beliefs, that crap is hard on engines (it's highly destructive to two stroke and small engines). With that being said, with the current costs of fuel in most states, that is what the average person ends up having to get. I spend ATLEAST $20 a day just to get to and come home from my wife's work. If I were to use the 100% fuel, I'd being spending atleast $25-$30 (if not more depending on the cost at that time) a day. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up quickly. Not everyone is a millionaire and can afford 100% fuel.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I can't stand that Ethanol garbage . Contrary to popular beliefs, that crap is hard on engines (it's highly destructive to two stroke and small engines). With that being said, with the current costs of fuel in most states, that is what the average person ends up having to get. I spend ATLEAST $20 a day just to get to and come home from my wife's work. If I were to use the 100% fuel, I'd being spending atleast $25-$30 (if not more depending on the cost at that time) a day. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up quickly. Not everyone is a millionaire and can afford 100% fuel.

Im completely opposite. i LOVE Ethanol. Higher the percentage the better...

But then again im talking about running E-85 to E-90 in a 4 banger with a massive turbo. Ethanol lets me make way more power than gasoline ever would because of its resistance to pre-detonation. Only problem with E85 is that you need a whole lot more of it to make the same BANG as gasoline. So i was getting around 6-8mpg out of my 4 banger lololol

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BREAKING NEWS: Not all states run high octane fuels. The main reasons states have high octane fuel is for POLLUTION REASONS. It means your state has a higher standing in pollution ratings. Oklahoma has a low standing, thus we do not need high octane fuels. As for high octane being better, technically it's not. The higher octane simply means the fuel burns SLOWER and more completely, producing less carbon pollution. It was never created for racing (atleast the street version of fuel). As for saying 89% octane fuel is for 4 bangers and lawn mowers only, that is a statement of ignorance. In general most modern 4 cylinder engines are technically more advanced and of a higher performance design than the 5.7 Hemi's. So, don't discount the lower octane fuels. After all, your driving a pickup, not a Dodge Viper or Lamborghini. If you were all that concerned about performance, you would have never purchased a TRUCK.
In my years being an automotive enthusiast and working in the auto industry I have never heard high octane fuel and pollution reasons going together. To be honest that comment about states having high octane fuels because of pollution issues really doesn't make any sense. On a car tuned for 87 octane you may actually get higher emissions levels using higher octane fuel because of incomplete fuel burn. Besides, if you have the option of low or high octane at the pump and no "pollution" related requirements to put one or the other in the car how does that work. You would have to ONLY offer higher octane fuels at the pump to enforce that.