Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question. My tick is back again for about 4 to 5 seconds after start up and then stops. Is this just the lifters getting pressurize or should I start looking at manifold bolts
Probably lifters getting oil pressure. If it stops after a few seconds and doesn't return I'd say youre good.

Manifold bolts usually tick for a good minute or more and it's more of a "puffing" tick if that makes sense....

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I heard a rumor about the new Ranger so I had to look it up. It’s better than what I was told but it’s still ridiculous that you have to partially pull the wheel well liner just change the oil.

https://www.motor1.com/news/300071/ford-ranger-oil-change/amp/

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I heard a rumor about the new Ranger so I had to look it up. It’s better than what I was told but it’s still ridiculous that you have to partially pull the wheel well liner just change the oil.

https://www.motor1.com/news/300071/ford-ranger-oil-change/amp/

You have to take of plastic skid plate to change rav 4 trans fluid, or cut a hole in it. One guess what I choose to do, lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably lifters getting oil pressure. If it stops after a few seconds and doesn't return I'd say youre good.

Manifold bolts usually tick for a good minute or more and it's more of a "puffing" tick if that makes sense....
Yea that was my though. It sucks because it was gone for a while now it’s back. It came back towards the end of my last oci with redline 5w30 and I’m about 200 miles into pup 5w30

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea that was my though. It sucks because it was gone for a while now it’s back. It came back towards the end of my last oci with redline 5w30 and I’m about 200 miles into pup 5w30
Some trucks seem to do that on cold start no matter what oil you run. If you don't have a hot idle tick you should be fine though

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

It's so hard to find in my area almost non- existent. If not for Amazon I would really have no access to it.
I honestly never thought once of running it!
My dealership even gave up on it & began using T6 5W-40 in their free oil change program. (I still have 4 to use)

UOAs posted within BITOG shows good robust oil with low wear numbers!
But so has every other shelf bought HD Diesel oils.

Before I even brought my 6.7L CTD home: I knew I wanted to run either Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 or Schaeffers 9000.
Now I'm some what leaning towards Hot Shots Secret (Blue Diamond).

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I quite like the RL75W110. My Challenger spec'd the stupid CAFE 75W85 in its diff which whined like crazy after going to a solid cradle mount even with RL75W85 and 75W90. Moved over to RL75W110 and its way quieter plus LSD locks/unlocks more predictably in corners after it's been run hard. Since the HD's have the torsen type LSD you actually have a lot more flexibility in the fluid you run and the LSD operation. I'd rather have the 75W140 if I was towing heavy in the heat personally for the added film strength/gear cushioning.
Very helpful. First hand experience. Thanks Fitz

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The Syn Transmission Transfusion. What a awesome little pump; nice way to get fresh fluid in without dropping the pan. A very good option for guys with the Maxcare warranty; stay with warranty requirements by not cracking open the transmission and doing a service. Nothing wrong with fresh fluid. The is an RFE lifesaver.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The Syn Transmission Transfusion. What a awesome little pump; nice way to get fresh fluid in without dropping the pan. A very good option for guys with the Maxcare warranty; stay with warranty requirements by not cracking open the transmission and doing a service. Nothing wrong with fresh fluid. The is an RFE lifesaver.

Thanks for sharing this HH. Puts it into perspective.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

Woah, woah. And where do we purchase this mystical item of sorcery?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Some trucks seem to do that on cold start no matter what oil you run. If you don't have a hot idle tick you should be fine though

Before I moved I noticed if I backed my truck into my steep ass driveway (Nose down) it would tick for a quick second every time on any oil. Out at the Family property now parking flat it's a much more rare occurrence unless it's been sitting for several days.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Before I moved I noticed if I backed my truck into my steep ass driveway (Nose down) it would tick for a quick second every time on any oil. Out at the Family property now parking flat it's a much more rare occurrence unless it's been sitting for several days.

This is my take on the noise we can get from time to time. And for me it is very short run times that cause it. Like pulling out of the garage, shut it off and then on the next restart it will do it. So I avoid very short run times.

They have hydraulic lifters. So if you have leak down than you basically are loosing the oil cushion. There is a small gap maybe .03” that oil pressure holds tight creating the correct valve lash. So you never have to adjust your valves like older engines. But you lose that oil prime to leak down and you hear that .03” of an inch clattering until it fills with oil and tightens up.

Could be wrong. But that is what it sounds like to me.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is my take on the noise we can get from time to time. And for me it is very short run times that cause it. Like pulling out of the garage, shut it off and then on the next restart it will do it. So I avoid very short run times.

They have hydraulic lifters. So if you have leak down than you basically are loosing the oil cushion. There is a small gap maybe .03” that oil pressure holds tight creating the correct valve lash. So you never have to adjust your valves like older engines. But you lose that oil prime to leak down and you hear that .03” of an inch clattering until it fills with oil and tightens up.

Could be wrong. But that is what it sounds like to me.

That's more than likely exactly what it is with the hydraulic lifters. If I have to move it a short distance I'll usually rev it up to about 2500 before I kill it and that helps an lot on the next start.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I try not to drive the truck short runs. It does sit for a few days at a time as it’s not my primary vehicle. I drive a company vehicle during the week so sometimes my truck doesn’t run at all till The weekend

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Last edited: