Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In cali, people join costco just for the gas discount, averages 60 cents less per gallon for top tier, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more, yes more then 60 cents per gallon, but averages 60 cents cheaper then top stations. For some reason shell is even more, so like 80-100 cents cheaper then shell around here. I never paid for my redline si-1, it pays for itself by using costco gas. 7-8 bucks per tank savings. However, it isnt always good news, because gas is so cheap, it is like the 70's every single time you want gas, lol. Yes, a line 4-5 cars deep all hours the thing is open. Once is a long while you will have no line, and you always ask yourself what is going on today there is no line at costco gas.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In cali, people join costco just for the gas discount, averages 60 cents less per gallon for top tier, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more, yes more then 60 cents per gallon, but averages 60 cents cheaper then top stations. For some reason shell is even more, so like 80-100 cents cheaper then shell around here. I never paid for my redline si-1, it pays for itself by using costco gas. 7-8 bucks per tank savings. However, it isnt always good news, because gas is so cheap, it is like the 70's every single time you want gas, lol. Yes, a line 4-5 cars deep all hours the thing is open. Once is a long while you will have no line, and you always ask yourself what is going on today there is no line at costco gas.

⤴️

Hence the lines of old ladies 10 cars deep in 6 lanes here. I've never had this few choices of good gas in my 35 years here.

It's like 1973, waiting for an hour to buy gas except there's plenty of ($hitty) gas.
Which is why I went looking for PEA. Now only Red Line has it.

Bring back the Stanley Steamer

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To those who change their oil,I just got some new stock and was surprised by the difference in price between my Audis oil and the ram. I guess I never ordered them at the same time They are the 4-1 gallon cases7B7716CA-EC67-44DF-B913-51A18020DC42.jpegimage.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd say so, wow. One is not SS though?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I too am a subscriber of Costco in Ontario, Canada just for fuel savings.
Here it is $0.12 to $0.15 cents more per liter for premium 91 vs their regular 87 - just depends on the day.

And yes, Shell here is a minimum of $0.40 per liter more per liter vs their regular 87, but I have seen it as high a difference of $0.55 per liter more expensive vs their regular 87.

Both have zero ethanol in their premium fuels, but is Shell V-Power 91 really that much better!?

My HEMI really doesn't notice too much a difference that I can discernably tell, but my **** dyno tells me that the Shell V-Power 91 is a better grade of premium.

So, the only time I currently venture to Shell, which is right around the corner from my local Costco, is either when the Costco lines are ridiculously long because my time and my sanity are worth the extra $5 a tankful, or, when I am travelling all over Ontario for work.

But then again, I have my lady's CAA card in my wallet and it saves my $0.03 per liter at Shell, so I'll take a discount anywhere I can get it, especially with a 32 gallon tank... :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
wow, 55 cents a liter which is nearly 2 bucks a gallon difference, that is nuts. Something similar happens here but same gas station just a different city, it will be two bucks different. I have a lot of family in SF, they all drive to daily city to fill up, less then ten miles and save a lot at the pump.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have fuel cycles here as our prices are stupidly linked to the Singapore pricing. I have seen 45-50c/L difference. With the normal 25c per litre difference at Costco on my 121L tank that is a huge saving per tank, $30. It only costs $55 per annum as a business expense and that is tax deductible. So two tanks of fuel and I've covered the annual fee.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like FCA/Stellantis has quietly rescinded the "YOU MUST USE 5w20 OIL IN THE 5.7 EQUIPPED WITH MDS OR IT WILL EXPLODE INTO A FIREY EXPLOSION THAT RIVALS HELL!!!" claim in the older owners manuals. Amazingly, my 2013 5.7 has not exploded while running 5w30 for years.

I was perusing all data the other day and this little interesting note is now in their service info. This is from the engine oil specifications chart for 2013 Rams. Look at the note for the double diamonds. Also take note of the Mercedes 229.31 & 229.51 specs.
Proof Oil.pngProof Oil Legend.png

If this doesn't prove they spec-ed 5w20 solely for CAFE numbers and not engine protection, not sure what will.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Looks like FCA/Stellantis has quietly rescinded the "YOU MUST USE 5w20 OIL IN THE 5.7 EQUIPPED WITH MDS OR IT WILL EXPLODE INTO A FIREY EXPLOSION THAT RIVALS HELL!!!" claim in the older owners manuals. Amazingly, my 2013 5.7 has not exploded while running 5w30 for years.

I was perusing all data the other day and this little interesting note is now in their service info. This is from the engine oil specifications chart for 2013 Rams. Look at the note for the double diamonds. Also take note of the Mercedes 229.31 & 229.51 specs.
View attachment 516026View attachment 516027

If this doesn't prove they spec-ed 5w20 solely for CAFE numbers and not engine protection, not sure what will.
good find, and look what spec they say ok to use, the ones I had been saying for a decade merc specs, lol? Maybe they been reading this thread :)

TBH, it makes you wonder why they just didnt say dexos, there must be more to the story I'm missing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

View attachment 516026View attachment 516027

Yeah they don't give a $hit about EPA CAFE now that they stopped making new Hemi engines for cars.

What else could it have been? I mean, they've stooped so far as to put a pencil thermostat into trans oil cooler lines, for chris' sake.

I feel sorry for nontechnical people that don't know any better.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
"Tom's Key Company" :lol:

Everybody's a coder hacker today. Ridiculous.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
chatting with curly I noticed something I hadnt noticed before on tire size and just another reason they should have never used 3.55's on this rams, especially with the rfe. The professional charts say the only use for 3.55 is economy, and since the white is never recommended you shouldnt even have 33's with 3.55's. If I knew I was gonna keep this truck so long no way I get those dog 3.55.

hp?image=https%3A%2F%2Fth.bing.com%2Fth%2Fid%2FOIP.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And here I'm unhappy with the stock 3.73's.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
chatting with curly I noticed something I hadnt noticed before on tire size and just another reason they should have never used 3.55's on this rams, especially with the rfe. The professional charts say the only use for 3.55 is economy, and since the white is never recommended you shouldnt even have 33's with 3.55's. If I knew I was gonna keep this truck so long no way I get those dog 3.55.

View attachment 516219

For sure! I have read on here that going to 4.56 gears really wakes these trucks up, fun to drive. My 4x4 truck also has 3.55's, and I looked into upgrading to 4.56's and a limited slip rear. It would cost me around $4K to have this upgrade done, as this is more of a job than I would want to tackle myself, and therefore declined.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For sure! I have read on here that going to 4.56 gears really wakes these trucks up, fun to drive. My 4x4 truck also has 3.55's, and I looked into upgrading to 4.56's and a limited slip rear. It would cost me around $4K to have this upgrade down, as this is more of a job than I would want to tackle myself, and therefore declined.
Likely more now with all that devaluing of the dollar, plus shaving the diff. That was yesterdays price, my guess add 1500. Funny I got to drive my buddies ram when he drank a little too much at a giants game, just the 3.92's over the 3'55's where huge, I had to feather it to not toasting his tires, I could slam mine and not break traction. He has 3.92 with 6 speed, mine is the 3/55 with the 5 speed. Not only that but I have so many issues with low rpm's, I don't even know how this is efficient, if you ask me it seams to not make the best out of the fuel.air mix with all of this low rpm bulljive. The only way this makes sense is on long freeway drives, but it isnt a good trade off imo. All I have to do to equal mpg's is drive a bit slower on mr freeway, but this low rpm and poor take off garbage is just pizz. end rant

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Likely more now with all that devaluing of the dollar, plus shaving the diff. That was yesterdays price, my guess add 1500. Funny I got to drive my buddies ram when he drank a little too much at a giants game, just the 3.92's over the 3'55's where huge, I had to feather it to not toasting his tires, I could slam mine and not break traction. He has 3.92 with 6 speed, mine is the 3/55 with the 5 speed. Not only that but I have so many issues with low rpm's, I don't even know how this is efficient, if you ask me it seams to not make the best out of the fuel.air mix with all of this low rpm bulljive. The only way this makes sense is on long freeway drives, but it isnt a good trade off imo. All I have to do to equal mpg's is drive a bit slower on mr freeway, but this low rpm and poor take off garbage is just pizz. end rant

You are probably correct, $4K for this upgrade was a couple of years ago. Crazy how expensive everything is now...anything I look at, shocked at how much things cost!

Last edited: