Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I realize that but the whole reason of this was asking what that Mopar oil that Burla suggested I use. I have no reason to think otherwise that the factory fill isn’t semi-syn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FF isn’t synthetic or semi synthetic....

PYB is conventional

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope no API donut on the SS. I believe their wording is "meets API SN and SN+" but it doesn't have the actual API certification. Their XL and OE oils have the donut tho...

See, right here folks, is why I’m asking about Amsoil compared to PUP, in case y’all are wondering.

I don’t know about their XL oil, but if it isn’t the SS, the good stuff- I think I’m just better off with PUP.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In every seriousness, if it were me, I would look for the api oil with the highest cst with the hemi spec in 5w20. If PUP is working, I would stick with that, if not look at cst's, maybe castrol or qsud. The issue with gtL is twenty weight has been noiseyness. If you don't have that, stay with PUP and keep copius records.

SS is not neccesarily their best stuff in 5w20, look at cst's. Their xl has same operating temp visc, maybe the donut you are looking for. Again, it comes down to best, if one has api donut and one doesn't, in your case which one is "best".

From Amsoils data sheet

XL Synthetic Motor Oil is licenced by the American Petroleum Institute (API)

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FF isn’t synthetic or semi synthetic....

PYB is conventional

Hmm. Well, don’t go ape **** on me but I’ve had quite a few service writers- and even heard it quite a few times here that it’s semi-synthetic, or a synthetic blend. But either way, irregardless of whatever the hell it is, that’s why I don’t wish to use it again.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
In every seriousness, if it were me, I would look for the api oil with the highest cst with the hemi spec in 5w20. If PUP is working, I would stick with that, if not look at cst's, maybe castrol or qsud. The issue with gtL is twenty weight has been noiseyness. If you don't have that, stay with PUP and keep copius records.

SS is not neccesarily their best stuff in 5w20, look at cst's. Their xl has same operating temp visc, maybe the donut you are looking for. Again, it comes down to best, if one has api donut and one doesn't, in your case which one is "best".

From Amsoils data sheet

XL Synthetic Motor Oil is licenced by the American Petroleum Institute (API)

I like this hole idea for corn.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Okay, so... not Ram related, but OIL related for sure. Coworker. '16 Lariat ecoboost. (I know. First mistake, whatever) Bought it brand new Oct '16. He's had it serviced on sched, at the dealer he bought it from, since new. These motors are known for cam phasers going bad before 100k. He's just 3k and 4 months !!! out of factory/dealership warranty. About a week ago, he had the oil changed (whatever ferd dealership synthetic is... prob redline lol) and he heard an unfamiliar tick/knock while pulling out of his garage to go to work. It was gone before he put it in Drive and forgot about it (for that day). Next day, same thing. Third day, the paranoia set in. We've chatted about oils previously and he nervously tells me the whole story. I tell him he needs to get it in to that dealer and don't let them ******** their way out of it.

They keep the truck for THREE days. They finally come back and say it's definitely NOT cam phasers but it's in the bottom end. They proceed to quote him $10,600 to "fix it". He's like "WHOA, WTF!! ... This is the 3rd truck Ive bought new here and have had it serviced here religiously since new!" What do you think their reaction was? ... ... ... "Do you have any UOAs??" I tell him he needs to contact ferd's customer arbitration line to get corporate involved. He does so. They ALSO ASKED FOR UOAs!! This is unbelievable to me and shows that they have ZERO confidence in their own 'recommended maintenance schedule' and/or products used. This was yesterday. He still owes just shy of $30k on this POS Lariat.

BLUF- UOAs are no longer just for the super ****-retentive car guy niche. I don't know how this will shake out in the end, but it's certainly interesting and telling of the modern auto industry. As for me, I'm just going to stick with my old LS's. When they break, I'll just rebuild them for $700 and a couple nights in the garage with a few 12-packs and a buddy or two. What a shame. My hunch is, he'll go a couple towns over and trade this thing off. I don't blame him one bit. Be very careful buying even a used one-owner late model truck!!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Okay, so... not Ram related, but OIL related for sure. Coworker. '16 Lariat ecoboost. (I know. First mistake, whatever) Bought it brand new Oct '16. He's had it serviced on sched, at the dealer he bought it from, since new. These motors are known for cam phasers going bad before 100k. He's just 3k and 4 months !!! out of factory/dealership warranty. About a week ago, he had the oil changed (whatever ferd dealership synthetic is... prob redline lol) and he heard an unfamiliar tick/knock while pulling out of his garage to go to work. It was gone before he put it in Drive and forgot about it (for that day). Next day, same thing. Third day, the paranoia set in. We've chatted about oils previously and he nervously tells me the whole story. I tell him he needs to get it in to that dealer and don't let them ******** their way out of it.

They keep the truck for THREE days. They finally come back and say it's definitely NOT cam phasers but it's in the bottom end. They proceed to quote him $10,600 to "fix it". He's like "WHOA, WTF!! ... This is the 3rd truck Ive bought new here and have had it serviced here religiously since new!" What do you think their reaction was? ... ... ... "Do you have any UOAs??" I tell him he needs to contact ferd's customer arbitration line to get corporate involved. He does so. They ALSO ASKED FOR UOAs!! This is unbelievable to me and shows that they have ZERO confidence in their own 'recommended maintenance schedule' and/or products used. This was yesterday. He still owes just shy of $30k on this POS Lariat.

BLUF- UOAs are no longer just for the super ****-retentive car guy niche. I don't know how this will shake out in the end, but it's certainly interesting and telling of the modern auto industry. As for me, I'm just going to stick with my old LS's. When they break, I'll just rebuild them for $700 and a couple nights in the garage with a few 12-packs and a buddy or two. What a shame. My hunch is, he'll go a couple towns over and trade this thing off. I don't blame him one bit. Be very careful buying even a used one-owner late model truck!!

The ecoboost is a "throw away motor" and the 1st gens are notoriously bad. Got a cousin who used to be a master mechanic at the local ford stealership and he does not have kind things to say about them at all. Will tell everyone he knows to never buy one if they plan to keep it for any amount of time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
you and auto correct :)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfectly reasonable, and understandable, I bought an extended warranty for the same reason on the Durango, because of all the expensive ass electronics. Not my engine and transmission.

Plenty of guys running Hemi’s out there with dealer oil changes we’ll past 100,000 miles.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30
That extended warranty you bought is probably lenient and doesn’t care what you use for lubricants, unless it’s the same MaxCare warranty I have.

But I’m curious.... why the mixed 5w30 and 0w40 in the Durango? What are you going for, like a 5w50 mixture or what? I figured just all 5w30 would suffice, especially with it being Amsoil SS.

But ya see, I’m not really asking what’s best, just pretty much asking y’all’s opinion to that, and why you run what you run. And why the Amsoil in your 392 I’m assuming is fine but in the other guy’s 392, who said it made his motor sound like a thrashing machine.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
you and auto correct :)

No auto correct problem

I said something that I should not have .

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure Jeff will chime in but that's the mix of SS I would run in a 5.7 to get a higher 30wt viscosity

Well, I assumed that but why, though? Again, I figured just straight 5w30 would be more than plenty considering 5w20 is what the book probably calls for.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I assumed that but why, though? Again, I figured just straight 5w30 would be more than plenty considering 5w20 is what the book probably calls for.

So Amsoil SS is a rather thin 30wt like around 10cst@100C. For comparison M1 5w30 is higher than 11, Redline 5w30 is 11.9. Most Hemi's seem to like an oil around 11.5cst. By mixing in some 0w40, it will be closer to the 11.5+cst range.

Am I correct about why you're mixing in 0w40 @AFMoulton?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

And my 6.4 book, and the SRT book call for 0W40. There are thousands of pages on this thread of owners seeking the magic elixir to quiet these damn things down. Experimentation, guess-work, wishful thinking. If your Hemi is quiet, rock on, and count your blessings.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And my 6.4 book, and the SRT book call for 0W40. There are thousands of pages on this thread of owners seeking the magic elixir to quiet these damn things down. Experimentation, guess-work, wishful thinking. If your Hemi is quiet, rock on, and count your blessings.
^^^^^This

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So Amsoil SS is a rather thin 30wt like around 10cst@100C. For comparison M1 5w30 is higher than 11, Redline 5w30 is 11.9. Most Hemi's seem to like an oil around 11.5cst. By mixing in some 0w40, it will be closer to the 11.5+cst range.

Am I correct about why you're mixing in 0w40 @AFMoulton?

Good post[emoji3595]

I would shoot for 30-35w. But that is just me. I like 30w MINIMUM in everything

Last edited: