Tailgate assist broke today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You had to drill it out because the new screw which appears to be bigger and stronger and new nutsert must go into the hole that the old nutsert was occupying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got ya. That's all I've been wanting to know. Haven't been able to find any sort of YouTube install videos of the new plate style, so wasn't sure if it used the same spot. Thanks bud...

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn’t gonna take the chance. Especially since the old screw wouldn’t screw in any more than a few threads and then pull out. Not sure if it was a screw issue or a nutsert issue but since they included both in the replacement kit I figured I would use it. The only thing that kinda sucked was when I drilled it out, although most of it came out onto drill bit, a little piece fell back inside of tailgate. Not a big deal but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t bother me when it happened.

Yep, that's exactly why I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with this old nutsert, because of it falling inside the tailgate and having to fish it out... It is what it is though...

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Believe me. I tried fishing it out. I went fishing. Didn’t catch a damn thing. Lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Believe me. I tried fishing it out. I went fishing. Didn’t catch a damn thing. Lol

Magnets! And removing the cables to let things role a bit. I think I got lucky though on how easy mine fished out ...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, got lucky with removing my busted nutsert over the weekend. Went to drill it out and my battery power drill didn't have enough juice to penetrate deep enough into the nutsert to start grinding down what little bit actually started splicing like it was supposed to. So, I basically just hammered a flat head screwdriver in there and it flattened out those spliced ends to where I was able to grab the splits with the screwdriver and yank it out the way it came. Probably a **** poor way of explaining the ****show that was the whole process, but bottom line is I got it out. New one is now installed and works like a champ!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine didn't break, the nut itself in the original design bracket came loose. It wiggled around and is throwing the shock off the nut. Mine made it about a year like that. Its been busted ever sense. Any ideas on fixing it or am I stuck drilling it out?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine didn't break, the nut itself in the original design bracket came loose. It wiggled around and is throwing the shock off the nut. Mine made it about a year like that. Its been busted ever sense. Any ideas on fixing it or am I stuck drilling it out?
I had to drill mine out. DZ might send a repair kit free of charge though.