Tailgate support snowmobile?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where the sheetmetel is extremely thin on these trucks, I’m curious if anyone has had trouble with ramps on the tailgate and putting a sled in the back of the truck. I remember reading that the truck won’t support a slide in camper, so I’m leary of the tailgate buckling under pressure. Thanks for the input. Great site.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not positive but I would imagine most of the weight would be supported in the bed not the tailgate. Maybe a few hundred lbs on it and if that's the case mine supports my fat ass so I dont see it being a issue I would imagine the cable would snap prior to buckling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run a pretty heavy snowblower up a ramp into mine on a fairly heavy ramp and it's been fine so far and I've seen some fair size lawn tractors roll in there so I think you'll be fine.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would imagine a 800cc atv would weigh as much and I've seen those in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
R

ronr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input guys. I’ve never thought twice and have overloaded many pickup beds with lumber well out beyond the tailgate. After watching the sides push in as I lean against them and the roof moving with the snow brush, and I remember reading something about the truck not able to support a slide in camper, I thought I’d ask before I try the sled.
Thanks again

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Seems to me most guys with campers remove the tailgate, but I could see if someone blocked it up in the front and back leaving 1/2 or better of a campers weight resting on the tailgate it could be an issue. Especially with your usual campground potholes. I'm thinking that's what they're referring to.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In the old days I know the tail gates were only rated at like 300lbs. Problem is the cables that support it werent very reliable. Its when you run that front end of that sled onto those ramps, at speed. I think your on borrowed time.

I would find a hill near me and back up to it, and then you could easily just ride the load into the bed with out too much stress.

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had no issues with putting a 4 wheeler back there with the back axle sitting on the tailgate.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
first of all, its the internal structure of the gate that supports the weight, not the sheet metal skin, although even that is stamped to create surves in the surface for added strength. the cables are extremely strong, unlike the junk used way back when the truck itself was built like a tank. I drive my 700 kodiak up on ramps placed on the tip of the tailgate, the bike is 686lb, I'm 300+...that's 1000lb on the gate with no issue

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks for the input guys. I’ve never thought twice and have overloaded many pickup beds with lumber well out beyond the tailgate. After watching the sides push in as I lean against them and the roof moving with the snow brush, and I remember reading something about the truck not able to support a slide in camper, I thought I’d ask before I try the sled.
Thanks again

I run my 850 Polaris up mine. 2-8" ramps on the gate. Combined weight is a little over 1,000 Lbs.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
82207065_3253285834704021_6445684281279774720_n.jpg
Do it all the time no problems.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems to me most guys with campers remove the tailgate, but I could see if someone blocked it up in the front and back leaving 1/2 or better of a campers weight resting on the tailgate it could be an issue. Especially with your usual campground potholes. I'm thinking that's what they're referring to.
I'd say that and a slide in is likely way over payload.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
a slide in is likely way over payload.
Slide-in over payload...not for this guy:
f150overloaded.jpg

When using ramps to put a load in the bed, only about half the weight of the load is applied to the tailgate. Unless the ramps hang entirely off of the tailgate.

gdc0581

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 and I have destroyed my tailgate by carrying my Polaris ranger with the rear wheels on the tailgate. I have carried similar vehicles on my 97 F250 and 2013 F350 with no problem. The Ram tailgate split on the seam between the outside and the side of the tailgate on a trip I made from Washington to California this past winter. The tailgate still closes and the damage is barely noticeable, but I will probably need to replace it before I can carry the Polaris again. I had an auxiliary fuel tank in the front of the box that moved the Polaris back about 10 inches. I have since installed a 55 gallon Titan tank replacing the 32 gallon factory tank so I can do without the auxiliary tank. I will still have some of the weight of the Polaris on the tailgate, but it will be much closer to the hinge. I find nothing in the owner's manual about carrying loads on the tailgate and, like I said, I've done this with my Fords many times.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Slide-in over payload...not for this guy:
View attachment 191423

When using ramps to put a load in the bed, only about half the weight of the load is applied to the tailgate. Unless the ramps hang entirely off of the tailgate.
Some obvious issues with this load, but I noticed the tailgate looks fine.