"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have this in my cart and nearly ready to go ahead (still tossing around the ideas of UAQ upgrade), can anyone tell me is there sound quality as good as the factory radio? I don't have any upgrade on my radio, just factory amp and speakers. Also, does the mirror defrost still work? What, if any, radio info shows up on the cluster?
I just ordered the steering wheel controls and just finished my cluster upgrade.

Also, does this use the factory antenna or include an adapter? I want to do an fm direct install for XM and wanted to see if I need an additional adapter

I have this in my cart and nearly ready to go ahead (still tossing around the ideas of UAQ upgrade), can anyone tell me is there sound quality as good as the factory radio? I don't have any upgrade on my radio, just factory amp and speakers. Also, does the mirror defrost still work? What, if any, radio info shows up on the cluster?
I just ordered the steering wheel controls and just finished my cluster upgrade.

Also, does this use the factory antenna or include an adapter? I want to do an fm direct install for XM and wanted to see if I need an additional adapter

I'm unfamiliar with FM direct...

I haven't heard anyone with the factory amp say how it sounds but I have gone from the RA2 to RA3 to RA4 to a T-Style 4.4 and the sound quality h

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Error with last post that I can't fix.

Anyway, the sound quality is progressively better with each upgrade. The FM station appears in the cluster by dial/channel number but that's it. The mirror defrost button is there but I have yet to use it. An adapter to plug into your factory radio antenna is included.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Error with last post that I can't fix.

Anyway, the sound quality is progressively better with each upgrade. The FM station appears in the cluster by dial/channel number but that's it. The mirror defrost button is there but I have yet to use it. An adapter to plug into your factory radio antenna is included.

Sounds good. I ordered my 7.1 unit from RhinoRadios.com and they have been great so far with answering questions and getting info to me quickly. I got confirmation via messenger and email immediately and got personal message right after. Hope all goes well from China to my home.
I ordered the XM Onyx Plus hoping Sirius will transfer my remaining subscription and I'm going to adapt the factory XM antenna (so I won't have a redundant antenna) and will direct connect everything so it plays through FM station (fm direct basically Jacks all FM stations while the XM unit is powered so it's clear and no chance of interference) to save my aux in for other stuff. I got a flush mount USB/aux kit to install in the dash so everything is accessible and a front camera to try. Should be an interesting project. I also got the Apple Carplay dongle so I'll have plenty of stuff to play with. Probably be months before I get bored and start cooking custom firmware. Thanks for all the answers.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sounds good. I ordered my 7.1 unit from RhinoRadios.com and they have been great so far with answering questions and getting info to me quickly. I got confirmation via messenger and email immediately and got personal message right after. Hope all goes well from China to my home.
I ordered the XM Onyx Plus hoping Sirius will transfer my remaining subscription and I'm going to adapt the factory XM antenna (so I won't have a redundant antenna) and will direct connect everything so it plays through FM station (fm direct basically Jacks all FM stations while the XM unit is powered so it's clear and no chance of interference) to save my aux in for other stuff. I got a flush mount USB/aux kit to install in the dash so everything is accessible and a front camera to try. Should be an interesting project. I also got the Apple Carplay dongle so I'll have plenty of stuff to play with. Probably be months before I get bored and start cooking custom firmware. Thanks for all the answers.
Thanks for pointing me to the Carplay/Android Auto dongles. I've been trying to figure out how that's done. Did you mention an FM modulator or amplifier of some kind too or am I mistaken?

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for pointing me to the Carplay/Android Auto dongles. I've been trying to figure out how that's done. Did you mention an FM modulator or amplifier of some kind too or am I mistaken?

FM Modulator. I think it can be used with other stuff, it's got an aux cable and the antenna runs through it, when you send data through the aux cable it takes over the FM band. I'll play XM all the time, but just power down unit and have fm again.

haydenwebb404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking into getting this headunit upgrade, what's the price difference between the 2 the specs look the same from what I can see.

Screenshot_20181220-212628_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181220-212613_Chrome.jpg

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They have same px3 chip, more expensive one has 7.1 supposedly and the extra buttons. Find the same radio at RhinoRadios.com for 300$ less and 4% discount right now. They were better at responding to messages and I gave up on Phoenix as they never responded to messages (email, call, and messenger). Maybe they are off for holidays?

AdamKan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the verge of picking this up with the 7.1 software. I was initially hesitant because of all of the issues on the front end but it seems like most of the bugs have been worked out. I've got a 17 Laramie with the 8.4 and definite envy on the 19's big screen so this would be my consolation prize. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and somewhat tech savvy so i'm not too worried about install and minor tweaks but am definitely not one to write my own code. That being said...Would anyone try to discourage me from going this route since my current 8.4 works fine other than it being dumber than i'd like?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
On the verge of picking this up with the 7.1 software. I was initially hesitant because of all of the issues on the front end but it seems like most of the bugs have been worked out. I've got a 17 Laramie with the 8.4 and definite envy on the 19's big screen so this would be my consolation prize. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and somewhat tech savvy so i'm not too worried about install and minor tweaks but am definitely not one to write my own code. That being said...Would anyone try to discourage me from going this route since my current 8.4 works fine other than it being dumber than i'd like?
Yes, I would really only recommend this to folks with an RA3 or below

AdamKan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I would really only recommend this to folks with an RA3 or below

So mine is an RA3. When i was looking at it i thought it was the later one with android auto but i guess there were some 17s with the RA3 like mine.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So mine is an RA3. When i was looking at it i thought it was the later one with android auto but i guess there were some 17s with the RA3 like mine.
I should also say I think the UAS/UAQ OEM upgrade is the way to go IF you can get it done for around $800.

AdamKan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should also say I think the UAS/UAQ OEM upgrade is the way to go IF you can get it done for around $800.

Yeah was thinking about that route also...guess i liked the idea of the 10” screen for no better reason than bigger is better....Back to the factory radio upgrade search...

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the heater controls for hot and cold work well on this or is it like the 8.4 4C upgrade where the hot and cold arrows don't display correctly for some people?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do the heater controls for hot and cold work well on this or is it like the 8.4 4C upgrade where the hot and cold arrows don't display correctly for some people?
Works great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990