"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
16 laramie
Engine
5.7 hemi
No when I had it installed i was fooling around with stuff ,could not find the code for developers so i downloaded a developer options from the play store wich only helped me make things worse, so i factory reset on the app developers options wich made everything look diffrent, and more user friendly and guess I got lucky as hell

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I seen on a previous post this evening that one of the guys can not get his seats and climate to work if it will help I can post pics of my settings tomorrow afternoon if it will help
Yeah, definitely. There are actually two folks having that issue in the thread. I'm not having the problem but I'd like to make note of it on my settings spreadsheet for others in the future...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No when I had it installed i was fooling around with stuff ,could not find the code for developers so i downloaded a developer options from the play store wich only helped me make things worse, so i factory reset on the app developers options wich made everything look diffrent, and more user friendly and guess I got lucky as hell
I've been there a few times...

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In their CANBUS instruction video, they link to TWO DIFFERENT CANBUS updates for the RAM (one for 7.1 and one for 4.4). I suppose it's possible the one they posted on Facebook was the wrong one for 4.4 for those having heated seat issues. Could be worth a reflash just to see...

I just tried the one from their YouTube video comments (v 4.4). Same result, no heated seats or steering wheel and auto lights still don't work.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone even received Shipping info from Phoenix Android on the upgrade? I hope this isn't a "generate interest and pre-sales and then purchase from China and fulfill from California without letting the customer know" kinda thing...

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone even received Shipping info from Phoenix Android on the upgrade? I hope this isn't a "generate interest and pre-sales and then purchase from China and fulfill from California without letting the customer know" kinda thing...

I have not. I never received any shipping info from them when I ordered the unit itself either. They are obviously a company of 1/2 people.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Loaded the file as update.img to a fat32 formatted thumb drive ,plugged it in but nothing happens, thumb drive does show up in file explorer I can see the .img system does see it but won't update, in setting os ver is 7.1.1 could it be because am trying to upgrade to the same ver #?
Manual update says system is up to date, do you know if is possible to reinstall same version on this units
I did try to two different USB drives with same result
I apologise, for the 7.1 version the file name needs to be "px3.img" and not "update.img"

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have not. I never received any shipping info from them when I ordered the unit itself either. They are obviously a company of 1/2 people.
FYI, I got someone at Phoenix who is going to ask the manager for the file(s) you need

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Has anyone installed this in a 2500 with the RA2 (5 inch) radio? It says on Phoenix forum that USB and aux will not be retained if upgrading from this radio, just checking to see if that's correct before I pull the trigger. Trying to decide on this 600$ radio or the 2000$ upgrade to UAQ.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone installed this in a 2500 with the RA2 (5 inch) radio? It says on Phoenix forum that USB and aux will not be retained if upgrading from this radio, just checking to see if that's correct before I pull the trigger. Trying to decide on this 600$ radio or the 2000$ upgrade to UAQ.
The USB in the console will work still, the AUX input will not. You will also get another USB to run where you like (mine is in the glovebox).

If you source the parts yourself and buy the UAQ at a fair price (which to me is under $600), you can do the OEM upgrade for $800-$900.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The icons on the climate display light up when buttons are pressed, but both go out after a couple of seconds.
Pressing the icon does nothing.
I've checked with alfa obd and everything is still enabled in the bcm, so it appears to be a config issue in the canbus update....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The icons on the climate display light up when buttons are pressed, but both go out after a couple of seconds.
Pressing the icon does nothing.
I've checked with alfa obd and everything is still enabled in the bcm, so it appears to be a config issue in the canbus update....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
I'm gonna use your info in my trouble ticket with them (since I don't actually have the issue). To be clear, we're your auto headlights working before the update and what are they doing now (sorry if I already asked you this)?

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They were Not working, but always on when set to auto.
Now they are always off when set to auto.
Still enabled in bcm.
Work properly when canbus module is unplugged.

Mines a 2015 laramie dual cab.

Everything else still works, camera etc.
Dash still shows time in 24h clock.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The USB in the console will work still, the AUX input will not. You will also get another USB to run where you like (mine is in the glovebox).

If you source the parts yourself and buy the UAQ at a fair price (which to me is under $600), you can do the OEM upgrade for $800-$900.

Can you point me in the right direction to find the parts cheaper (I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere, I'll try a search)? I was looking at ordering the kit from infotainment which includes everything. The cheapest head unit I found on eBay was 895$. I did look into car--parts.com but I've never used them before and not sure if they'll include the theft code and which bezel would be correct.

I do like the Tesla style radio as I'm an avid Android user and used to build ROMs for all my phone's up until S8+ when I decided to use Samsung pay. I just worry about the on screen Temp and volume controls and hitting bumps. As long as Bluetooth works I suppose losing aux input wouldn't be too bad, maybe someone will figure out a way to get that working.

Also, does this radio save your last media source? If using USB will lot automatically start playing when start truck? Has anyone tried an external hard drive?

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you point me in the right direction to find the parts cheaper (I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere, I'll try a search)? I was looking at ordering the kit from infotainment which includes everything. The cheapest head unit I found on eBay was 895$. I did look into car--parts.com but I've never used them before and not sure if they'll include the theft code and which bezel would be correct.

I do like the Tesla style radio as I'm an avid Android user and used to build ROMs for all my phone's up until S8+ when I decided to use Samsung pay. I just worry about the on screen Temp and volume controls and hitting bumps. As long as Bluetooth works I suppose losing aux input wouldn't be too bad, maybe someone will figure out a way to get that working.

Also, does this radio save your last media source? If using USB will lot automatically start playing when start truck? Has anyone tried an external hard drive?
It does remember the last input source. I've changed mine so much though that I'm not sure if the stock music player starts automatically. I use Black Player EX and Car Launcher Pro. With those two I can get it to play automatically at boot and my home screen looks like like this...

02e3aac87d99ec071e135054d545e074.jpg

Here is the thread with the part numbers for the OEM upgrade.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=116140&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

If you look around sometimes salvage yards have the UAQs listed at around $500. You have to beat the eBay sellers and Infotainment to the punch. They are just buying them (using Car Parts dot com) and jacking up the price. If I come across one I'll PM you. I recently found one on Craigslist for $545. LKQ online also sometimes gets these mislabled and you can get a really good deal if it makes it past their "quality inspection" (read profit police)...

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is exactly the same

They were Not working, but always on when set to auto.
Now they are always off when set to auto.
Still enabled in bcm.
Work properly when canbus module is unplugged.

Mines a 2015 laramie dual cab.

Everything else still works, camera etc.
Dash still shows time in 24h clock.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is this auto headlight issue a common problem or just with some trucks? Also, are the climate settings saved so I can still use remote start to warm up truck in am? Has anyone tried automation apps with this (Tasker, automagic)?
i am getting ready to order the 7.1 unit from rhinoradios. Phoenix has not been very good with getting back to me about questions while rhino radios has replied to messages within couple hours. I was going to go with the 4.4.4 unit because of root options but I think the 7.1 can be rooted as well. I'm going to order a XM Onyx Plus and a factory antenna adapter along with an fm modulator and everything to direct wire. My wife and kids like the XM , so if I upgrade radio without it they will look at me like I'm crazy.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is this auto headlight issue a common problem or just with some trucks? Also, are the climate settings saved so I can still use remote start to warm up truck in am? Has anyone tried automation apps with this (Tasker, automagic)?
i am getting ready to order the 7.1 unit from rhinoradios. Phoenix has not been very good with getting back to me about questions while rhino radios has replied to messages within couple hours. I was going to go with the 4.4.4 unit because of root options but I think the 7.1 can be rooted as well. I'm going to order a XM Onyx Plus and a factory antenna adapter along with an fm modulator and everything to direct wire. My wife and kids like the XM , so if I upgrade radio without it they will look at me like I'm crazy.
HVAC settings are memorized (at least for the blower speed and temperature option), I'm sure root will eventually be available and the auto headlight issue is fixed if your truck came with a 5.0 RA2 or below with manual AC controls from the factory.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have this in my cart and nearly ready to go ahead (still tossing around the ideas of UAQ upgrade), can anyone tell me is there sound quality as good as the factory radio? I don't have any upgrade on my radio, just factory amp and speakers. Also, does the mirror defrost still work? What, if any, radio info shows up on the cluster?
I just ordered the steering wheel controls and just finished my cluster upgrade.

Also, does this use the factory antenna or include an adapter? I want to do an fm direct install for XM and wanted to see if I need an additional adapter

Last edited: