"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw in a number of videos where you first connect your phone via bluetooth and then you start up the Zlink application. It works and my Apple Carplay works wirelessly on my unit.
Now whenever I start up the truck, it connects Carplay automatically.

I did make a mistake and accidentally remove the Zlink app. I tried to put a direct access to Carplay on the top icons. Did a bit of research and found this link..

If you accidentally remove your Zlink, just download the app using the link.

Sailor K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for reply. Sounds like the lack of android auto bluetooth connection is an old limitation, or the FB Phoenix guy was out of whack.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for reply. Sounds like the lack of android auto bluetooth connection is an old limitation, or the FB Phoenix guy was out of whack.
I believe they achieve wireless AA via a third party adapter. Its not built into the radio.

tacticalzl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Read through most of this, but not seeing to many love this radio or really hate it. Is it worth the money? Where is the best place to purchase from?

Last edited:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@tacticalzl1 I can only tell you my experience with it. Personally, I prefer the 10.4 inch screen unit over the 12" because it looks more factory. The hazard switch is in the stock spot and apart from the A/C dials, I'm not missing much from the OEM.
I was skeptical at first with these radios. The only reason I wanted to change my OEM 8.4 was to get Navigation via Apple Carplay. But finding a stock OEM unit from a 2018 Ram was proving to be hard and I wanted navigation on my truck as soon as possible. A friend of mine is a fan of these Android units and had one fitted to his German Audi A7 and it looked and operated like it was a stock unit. Therefore I decided to give it a shot and to be honest, I really like it. It works well and the large screen is really good for Navigation.
There are one or two issues I would like to get sorted out. This has more to do with aesthetics than functionality. In terms of functionality, the unit is top notch. There are quirks that I need to get to grips with, but nothing that will prevent me from using the unit any further. TBH, I think I like this unit over putting a stock OEM 8.4 now.
I put in a link where I got mine from. It was for a very decent price.

BadDadSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
@tacticalzl1 I can only tell you my experience with it. Personally, I prefer the 10.4 inch screen unit over the 12" because it looks more factory. The hazard switch is in the stock spot and apart from the A/C dials, I'm not missing much from the OEM.
I was skeptical at first with these radios. The only reason I wanted to change my OEM 8.4 was to get Navigation via Apple Carplay. But finding a stock OEM unit from a 2018 Ram was proving to be hard and I wanted navigation on my truck as soon as possible. A friend of mine is a fan of these Android units and had one fitted to his German Audi A7 and it looked and operated like it was a stock unit. Therefore I decided to give it a shot and to be honest, I really like it. It works well and the large screen is really good for Navigation.
There are one or two issues I would like to get sorted out. This has more to do with aesthetics than functionality. In terms of functionality, the unit is top notch. There are quirks that I need to get to grips with, but nothing that will prevent me from using the unit any further. TBH, I think I like this unit over putting a stock OEM 8.4 now.
Not seeing the link...what brand did you go with?

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not seeing the link...what brand did you go with?

BadDadSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Thanks, do you have the Alpine stereo

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or, if you wish to use Back up camera, in main radio, simply spice into the main loom, on passenger side of truck dash. then run to radio video input.

Right side of dash
remove the side panel from the passenger side of the dash.
The one at the very end of the dash.
Plain-Jane, plastic panel that you never really see, account the passenger door covers it up, when closed.
Yeah, that panel!
Take it off, just hooked in there, no screws or nothing.

View attachment 396782

See that hanging gray plug, yep that;s the one we want.

Here is the other end of that plug Forgot to take a picture with it together.

View attachment 396783

Dead center of the plug are the three wires needed

View attachment 396784 .

Bare Shield Wire, Green/Brown stripe is video or positive wire, Green with Orange stripe is negative wire.

AGAIN, this is for factory installed rear view camera.
If adding aftermarktet camera, the loom should still function, if you used factory video ends when you installed camera.

BadDadSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
To be honest, I'm not sure. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT. I don't know what stereo system is in it, but it does sound good.
I just swapped the stock 8" screen for the 10.4" Android one. That is all.
Factory Alpine system has a center speaker top middle of dash panel & has an Alpine badge.

Attachments

• 20220430_150101.jpg
    20220430_150101.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 8

BadDadSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Thanks, finding a compatible Tesla unit with that sound system has been challenging.

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How responsive is it when you touch an icon?
Thank you

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just about as responsive as a low end Android tablet or phone. It is quite good actually. I have a music player that plays the next track when you just swipe left or right on the screen. Works perfectly all the time.
Thank you sir.

BadDadSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with a 12.1 PX6 4/64 HU installed, back of unit pic below, i want to install a 7 keys wireless steering wheel smart car remote control button pic below. Factory wiring diagram does not show a "Key1 or SW1" wire on factory wiring diagram. I think steering wheel volume control signal comes over Can Bus to OE radio. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this head unit? Or hooked one of these Volume control remote in a 2017 Ram? If so I would appreciate any info you may have Back.jpgVolume.jpg