"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just joined the forum and this is a huge thread... by the way I work at Linkswell, and we do check forums like this all the time for feedback.

From what I've read y'all have been so deep into the research of how these big-screen PX based Radios work and I'm super impressed. You guys are basically taking my job as Tech Support.

Here is the feedback I got from one your sales managers. I was considering either the Gen2 or Gen4 but had a concern about slow boot time since the Linkswell vids speed through the boot process and it's hard to know what to expect. In an automotive application, being able to use A/C controls rather quickly after vehicle startup shouldn't be an outlandish expectation.

D****,

We appreciate you reaching out to us and showing an interests in our Company & Products.

If Boot-Time is a concern of your we recommend that you do not purchase one of our Products. They are basically a computer and take a while to open up.

Good luck in your search for the right product for your application.

Regards,

xxxxxx xxxxxxxx

National Sales Manager

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is the feedback I got from one your sales managers. I was considering either the Gen2 or Gen4 but had a concern about slow boot time since the Linkswell vids speed through the boot process and it's hard to know what to expect. In an automotive application, being able to use A/C controls rather quickly after vehicle startup shouldn't an outlandish expectation.

D****,

We appreciate you reaching out to us and showing an interests in our Company & Products.

If Boot-Time is a concern of your we recommend that you do not purchase one of our Products. They are basically a computer and take a while to open up.

Regards,

xxxxxx xxxxxxxx

National Sales Manager
That is a response with a lot of integrity...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
Here is the feedback I got from one your sales managers. I was considering either the Gen2 or Gen4 but had a concern about slow boot time since the Linkswell vids speed through the boot process and it's hard to know what to expect. In an automotive application, being able to use A/C controls rather quickly after vehicle startup shouldn't be an outlandish expectation.

D****,

Regards,

xxxxxx xxxxxxxx

National Sales Manager

Interesting... Linkswell is a company of about 7 people, and those character counts for the name don't match either of our Managers. It's likely a Distributor of ours, or one of our Reps who sells our products to retailers. Thanks for that info.

TD;DR: Android 4 Causes Slow Boot, PX6 Will fix it.

The boot time is slow for a really Dumb reason which I guess by your guy's knowledge you may already Know.
Android 4.

The PX3 Radios mostly run Android 4, some Android 7.

Android 4 takes forever to boot, but Android 7 has a feature that is marketed as "Fast Boot"

Fast Boot is like pressing the lock button on your phone instead of turning it off. The radio is put into a sleep mode and draws little power until you turn the vehicle back on, setting off the remote wire and turning it fully on within about 5 seconds.

The issue is that Android 7 tends to be less stable because you cannot turn OFF Fast boot. We tried. If your radio goes days at a time basically 90% or more time in the sleep state of fast boot, it becomes unstable and de-syncs with your vehicle's CANBUS. At Linkswell our goal is "Quality and Premium products" (Not really a quote) so we got our stuff on Android 4, mostly.

Those PX6 Radios running android 8 don't support fastboot because Android Developers realized it caused issues in unique applications like this, so it's disabled. But PX6 Radios tend to boot in like, 16 seconds or less so it's minimal time compared to the 30 seconds of Android 4 on PX3.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Hey @JustLovett0, thanks for joining!

Are you guys planning to do some work "cleaning up" the UI of these things so that the settings make sense versus a bunch of folks on a forum going through trial and error as to what they different settings mean, what combinations work with certain trucks, etc.? That's been the primary thing holding me back ... and now that @SitKneelBend is back on Uconnect. lol

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
Hey @JustLovett0, thanks for joining!

Are you guys planning to do some work "cleaning up" the UI of these things so that the settings make sense versus a bunch of folks on a forum going through trial and error as to what they different settings mean, what combinations work with certain trucks, etc.? That's been the primary thing holding me back ... and now that @SitKneelBend is back on Uconnect. lol

Thanks for the Welcome! And personally, yes I am planning to make the settings all more fluid and make more sense. The engineers here are hard to communicate to improvements, and their focus is fixing issues and cool new features. I'm in the process of taking some Coding classes so I can start working on the units myself, and from there (Hopefully by March/April 2020) I'll be able to start making stuff like that make sense.

The companies solution was to create my job entirely. Their goal was for people to call and ask, but that ain't how it works so I'm going to be looking into improving it soon, definitely.

And honestly if you guys have any questions, just ask away or give us a call. I like helping people understand stuff like this.

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the Welcome! And personally, yes I am planning to make the settings all more fluid and make more sense. The engineers here are hard to communicate to improvements, and their focus is fixing issues and cool new features. I'm in the process of taking some Coding classes so I can start working on the units myself, and from there (Hopefully by March/April 2020) I'll be able to start making stuff like that make sense.

The companies solution was to create my job entirely. Their goal was for people to call and ask, but that ain't how it works so I'm going to be looking into improving it soon, definitely.

And honestly if you guys have any questions, just ask away or give us a call. I like helping people understand stuff like this.

Have you ever seen a px3 on a ram show 48 degrees from lo to high on the temperature ? Basically mine functions like this , lo then on next up press goes to 48 until you reach 73 then 48 until 77 then 48 until 91 then 48 until hi . Realize mine is not a linkswell but just curious .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
Have you ever seen a px3 on a ram show 48 degrees from lo to high on the temperature ? Basically mine functions like this , lo then on next up press goes to 48 until you reach 73 then 48 until 77 then 48 until 91 then 48 until hi . Realize mine is not a linkswell but just curious .

By this do you mean as the temperature goes up, every number inbetween shows 48*. And assuming this is on Climate Control, correct?

Most of these Radios do temperature by every other number. So normal operation isn't 77*, 78*, 79*, etc.
On most of the Radios, the temp is normally 77*, 79*, 81*, etc.

It's likely a computing (calculation) error in the Radio where it's displaying the wrong number, but is turning the number up. It's nothing wrong with the CANBUS or anything internal, just a software bug. An Update from that manufacturer typically fixes it. Which company is it from? Phoenix, Rhino, etc?

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By this do you mean as the temperature goes up, every number inbetween shows 48*. And assuming this is on Climate Control, correct?

Most of these Radios do temperature by every other number. So normal operation isn't 77*, 78*, 79*, etc.

It's likely a computing (calculation) error in the Radio where it's displaying the wrong number, but is turning the number up. It's nothing wrong with the CANBUS or anything internal, just a software bug. An Update from that manufacturer typically fixes it. Which company is it from? Phoenix, Rhino, etc?

Yes climate control but as it’s supposed to go from lo to each new temperature it stays at 48 other then the ones I listed before .
Phoenix ughh

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This is what mine does

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That is a response with a lot of integrity...

Here ya go:

Duane,

Regards,

Walter Detlefsen

National Sales Manager

1660 Chicago Ave. Ste N-19

Riverside, CA., 92507

Office: (909) 375-0633 ext 101

Direct: (909) 375-0631

Cell: (951) 203-9986

Fax: (951) 405-8888

Email: [email protected]

www.linkswellinc.com

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl

This is what mine does

Interesting. We would definitely normally fix that with an Update. I had something similar happen to a radio we sold once before. The fan speed would jump from 1, to 3, to 7, but the fans did speed up like they normally would. I keep hearing rumors from some people at shows like SEMA that there's some Russian guy you can contact and pay like $100 to make a Phoenix Radio better and it supposedly fixes all the issues. Sounds sketchy to me, but just letting you know.

Here ya go:

Regards,

Walter *********

National Sales Manager

That's the GM at Linkswell. He basically runs the company so the Owner of Linkswell can focus on working with the engineers to improve the products and our product line. It sorta makes sense he'd say something like that, but personally I've never known him to say even one downside of Linkswell stuff to a customer. Glad to hear it.

Also to re-answer the issue of boot time in short:
Gen 3 (PX3 Android 7) has like a 5-second Fast boot, but can be unstable at times.
Gen IV (PX6 Android 8 or 9) has a 15 second boot time, no fast boot, more stable.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting. We would definitely normally fix that with an Update. I had something similar happen to a radio we sold once before. The fan speed would jump from 1, to 3, to 7, but the fans did speed up like they normally would. I keep hearing rumors from some people at shows like SEMA that there's some Russian guy you can contact and pay like $100 to make a Phoenix Radio better and it supposedly fixes all the issues. Sounds sketchy to me, but just letting you know.

That's the GM at Linkswell. He basically runs the company so the Owner of Linkswell can focus on working with the engineers to improve the products and our product line. It sorta makes sense he'd say something like that, but personally I've never known him to say even one downside of Linkswell stuff to a customer. Glad to hear it.

Gen 3 (PX3 Android 7) has like a 5-second Fast boot, but can be unstable at times.
Gen IV (PX6 Android 8 or 9) has a 15 second boot time, no fast boot, more stable.
He's a real Russian (at least I think he's Russian I never asked). He goes by ShIvaDest on XDA and 4PDA and $100 US gets you rooted custom firmware. He will also do personal customizations if it's within his power to implement.

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He's a real Russian (at least I think he's Russian I never asked). He goes by ShIvaDest on XDA and 4PDA and $100 US gets you rooted custom firmware. He will also do personal customizations if it's within his power to implement.

If he can fix my issue I would gladly pay it

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Thanks for the boot times info. Y'all keep innovating.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know the Launcher name? It looks awesome and I'd love to try it out myself.

It's Agama Car Launcher Pro. If you try it... Let me know if it messes up your equalizer that comes with these units.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Quite a thread..Can anyone confirm the remote start working with the climate controls fix?

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
Quite a thread..Can anyone confirm the remote start working with the climate controls fix?
This is referring to which problem..? Where the climate control won't turn on when you remote start, and they only start when you physically put the key in?

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Yes.. I read in the beginning of thread with the remote start enabled the climate controls will not function until key is present.