"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Interesting. I thought real hard about getting this, but anything run by android has been a disaster

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Hey guys, after 6+ months with my PX3 unit working flawlessly it is starting to show some signs that something isn't ok. In the last 2 days and with temperatures below freezing here in Virginia, the touchscreen is unresponsive overall when I coldstart my truck in the morning - literally nothing works -. After doing 2 or 3 resets (via the reset pin button) the touchscreen starts working again. I leave my truck in a commuter lot all day and I have no issues with the touchschreen after work and with cold temperatures through out the day - the issue it's just overnight. Any thoughts? Before I do a hard reset to the unit, I thought to come here and ask if there is any solution to avoid going this way. Thank you.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys, after 6+ months with my PX3 unit working flawlessly it is starting to show some signs that something isn't ok. In the last 2 days and with temperatures below freezing here in Virginia, the touchscreen is unresponsive overall when I coldstart my truck in the morning - literally nothing works -. After doing 2 or 3 resets (via the reset pin button) the touchscreen starts working again. I leave my truck in a commuter lot all day and I have no issues with the touchschreen after work and with cold temperatures through out the day - the issue it's just overnight. Any thoughts? Before I do a hard reset to the unit, I thought to come here and ask if there is any solution to avoid going this way. Thank you.
Personally I think you are just seeing the effects of the cold on your screen. Especially if it only occurs in the AM.

If you start it and let it warm for a while does it work?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Personally I think you are just seeing the effects of the cold on your screen. Especially if it only occurs in the AM.

If you start it and let it warm for a while does it work?

It works until I do multiple resets and turn off the truck...open the door and wait for a minute or two for complete power shut down.

It has been cold/below freezing in the last month and it is quite of odd it didn't happen before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It works until I do multiple resets and turn off the truck...open the door and wait for a minute or two for complete power shut down.

It has been cold/below freezing in the last month and it is quite of odd it didn't happen before.

That may be the device getting warmed up enough to register touches still. I would try leaving the vehicle running, heat on full (hands and feet) and after 15 minutes or so see if it reacts to touches correctly.

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
That may be the device getting warmed up enough to register touches still. I would try leaving the vehicle running, heat on full (hands and feet) and after 15 minutes or so see if it reacts to touches correctly.

Ok, thank you. The thing is that I cannot even turn on the heat since the on/off button doesn't respond. I will try to leave it on tonight and see if tomorrow - will be in the 20s - to warm up the truck.

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, thank you. The thing is that I cannot even turn on the heat since the on/off button doesn't respond. I will try to leave it on tonight and see if tomorrow - will be in the 20s - to warm up the truck.

It’s because in the cold your truck goes into battery save mode which will cause the radio to kinda go to sleep . At least this is what I see with mine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I make sure to have my heat set on high heat every night so it will stay on the last setting it was and at least if my radio dies I can at least not freeze and roll window down if have to lol

SteveLabus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That does seem like a low voltage issue caused by low temperature.
Probably what SitKneelBend was saying.
Trucks battery saver mode drops the voltage when cold which then messes with your HUs sleep mode (standby) settings. Not sure if there would be a work around for that software-wise.

My PX6 unit does not have a sleep mode built in anymore, so it works pretty well the same in the cold. The sacrifice is a 20 second start up every time the unit boots up. It's - 9°C here right now. Just fyi

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
That does seem like a low voltage issue caused by low temperature.
Probably what SitKneelBend was saying.
Trucks battery saver mode drops the voltage when cold which then messes with your HUs sleep mode (standby) settings. Not sure if there would be a work around for that software-wise.

My PX6 unit does not have a sleep mode built in anymore, so it works pretty well the same in the cold. The sacrifice is a 20 second start up every time the unit boots up. It's - 9°C here right now. Just fyi
My 2 previous PX3 units (3 button) didn't have any issues even with the polar vortex [emoji23] ( - 11C) last winter, but since both were defective I guess that's why they worked.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I make sure to have my heat set on high heat every night so it will stay on the last setting it was and at least if my radio dies I can at least not freeze and roll window down if have to lol

I do the the same! Then hit remote start the next morning from inside and bam toasty truck..... [emoji23]

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do the the same! Then hit remote start the next morning from inside and bam toasty truck..... [emoji23]

[emoji106]
FYI doing the spider oled tail lights today or tomorrow !! Thanks for the vids sorry For wrong thread but wanted to thank you

gtluck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just wanted to give an update. @SteveLabus has helped me tremendously with my Phoenix PX6 radio. I have used his firmware and the issues with the backup camera coming on with startup appear to have gone away. I am still working on the radio to get everything working exactly right, which may never happen, but I believe I only have a couple of more things to tweak. Just wanted to follow up since I came and asked for help. He has been extremely helpful with trying to get this radio working, since the seller seems to have no interest.

SteveLabus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just wanted to give an update. @SteveLabus has helped me tremendously with my Phoenix PX6 radio. I have used his firmware and the issues with the backup camera coming on with startup appear to have gone away. I am still working on the radio to get everything working exactly right, which may never happen, but I believe I only have a couple of more things to tweak. Just wanted to follow up since I came and asked for help. He has been extremely helpful with trying to get this radio working, since the seller seems to have no interest.

Always glad to be of service.

If you have any more questions or issues feel free to contact us all. Solving mysteries seems to be some of our favourite hobbies lol

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Excluding 1.4 billion active phones, I'm sure.
Sorry, I should have been specific. I should have said any android-based headunit have been disasters from my experience. I've installed dozens of head units, around half being android based (some of them rooted and modded enough to make the head units feel OEM) and most of the android based ones didn't even make it up to a year without the CPU being fried or memory being corrupted.

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m considering going back to my stock radio or attempting the 8.4 Uaq if I can find a reasonable one . Not sure I can live without CarPlay though so maybe the 8.4

Anyone in market for a px3 with modified 3.5 mic adapter ?

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Has anyone successfully been able to get the wheel controls configured correctly. Need help getting it programmed. I can’t ever get the icons to highlight green.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Has anyone successfully been able to get the wheel controls configured correctly. Need help getting it programmed. I can’t ever get the icons to highlight green.
I personally could never get mine to work until I added the volume control rockers to the steering wheel. And even after that I couldn't assign the buttons anyting. In settings I just put it as stock location.
Doesn't work exactly like I wanted to but close enough.
If anybody has a script or something to fix this please chime time in. I might grab it myself.