The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have this desire to retro the rear air ride into mine. Anyone know if it's possible?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you feel like swapping the rear axle and figuring out a way to control the air suspension sure, with enough money anything is possible.

It's really an axle swap? It seems like it would be as simple as replacing springs with bags, installing the compressor/lines, and flashing the capability into the computer.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's really an axle swap? It seems like it would be as simple as replacing springs with bags, installing the compressor/lines, and flashing the capability into the computer.

The spring perches are different. One is built for a coil spring, one is built for a air bag.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was told that our 2014's are already set up for airbags. We just need to add them to the rear coils. All of them come ready to add. I have the tradesman and it's got the blocks for them.

When you get the air suspension it isn't added, it replaces the coil Springs, I'm sure you could get the ain't 1000's like the half ton trucks take but it wouldn't be factory.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I thought the airbags went inside our coils. I asked about them and that's how they explained it to me. And our airbags are nothing like a half ton setup.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I thought the airbags went inside our coils. I asked about them and that's how they explained it to me. And our airbags are nothing like a half ton setup.

I don't know, I've never seen them installed. If we have both of them at work I will look again to see what the exact differences are between the spring perches.

How is it any different than the half ton setup? The only difference is it is only on the rear of the 2500's vs all 4 corners of the 1500's. The 2500 setup is just heavier duty, that is it.

Last edited:

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I was told they go inside of the rear coils. And on the rear end of our trucks, they have a huge boxed off base plate on the top of the axle where the coils sit.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was told they go inside of the rear coils. And on the rear end of our trucks, they have a huge boxed off base plate on the top of the axle where the coils sit.

On the 3500's it is that way, only inside of the leaf springs. In the 2500's they replace the coils. On the 3500's they are helpers.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Awesome trucks! I got me one of them, with Air-Ride....Love her!

Gumpsta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
On the 2500's with the factory air ride option the bags replace the rear coils, I'm sure after market companies will come out with bags to go inside the coils, similar to what they sell for 1500's. I really doubt you would need to replace the axle to convert, but buying all the parts needed to convert to factory air ride will be pretty expensive. I believe it's a $1,500 option if done at production, but I'm betting to buy all the parts needed will be at least twice that, not counting labor.

I haven't looked at them, but I bet if you had a 3500 that you wanted to convert, I think you would have to swap out the axle. I don't think the non air ride would have the perches for the bags. the air ride version also uses a control arm to prevent axle wrap, similar to ladder bars, I don't know if the non-air ride 3500's would have all the mounts for these.

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just finished the Pennsylvania trip from central Indiana. Round trip average, real time, 9.8. Several 6%, and two 8% long hills, and a lot of two lane State Roads with limited speed, and short hills.
Overall, not disappointed and pulled well on the hills. Cabella Hill in W. V. was a non-issue.
8200 Miles on clock at this point...
Back to Florida in 4 weeks.....

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On the 2500's with the factory air ride option the bags replace the rear coils, I'm sure after market companies will come out with bags to go inside the coils, similar to what they sell for 1500's. I really doubt you would need to replace the axle to convert, but buying all the parts needed to convert to factory air ride will be pretty expensive. I believe it's a $1,500 option if done at production, but I'm betting to buy all the parts needed will be at least twice that, not counting labor.

I haven't looked at them, but I bet if you had a 3500 that you wanted to convert, I think you would have to swap out the axle. I don't think the non air ride would have the perches for the bags. the air ride version also uses a control arm to prevent axle wrap, similar to ladder bars, I don't know if the non-air ride 3500's would have all the mounts for these.

No the 3500 axles without air bags don't have the perches.
At a bare minimum you would have to cut the perches off of a air ride axle and weld them in place of the coil spring perches, and that itself won't be cheap.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mufflex installed, awesome sound! Nice rumble at idle. I will know more about MDS drone later today.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have a video or a sound clip of the mufflex on out trucks. I'd like to hear it before I ever bought it. I definitely do not want drone and I want a moderate performance sound when it's stepped on.