The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crashguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Other mods:

DeeZee Tailgate assist
20140425_113601.jpg

Undercover Flex tri-fold tonneau cover and 5th wheel hitch is installed in the factory prep pkg:
20140425_173200.jpg

And my favorite mod so far....LED bed lights, for seeing under the tonneau without having to open it to get enough light in there to see:
20140719_145414.jpg

I mounted them under the bed rails with the supplied two sided tape. No doubt it's a Chinese copy of 3M tape, but it has stuck really good so far.

I bought the LED light bars on ebay and made up the wiring myself. Put the switch in a little box I mounted to the back driver's side of the bed.

I used these LEDs...just search ebay for "COB DRL LEDs". They are extremely bright, and only cost like $10/pr. I used 4 (2 pr). The wiring they come with is pretty fine and was kind of a pain to work with. I guess they don't draw much current though to have such fine wires.

D5470.jpg

stealth78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry guys I haven't read all 149 pages but everyone is saying how much power the 6.4 has..... either I bought a **** or this thing is seriously limited/governed while in a break-in period??? I have to say I thought it would have a little more balls then this. Only have 400 miles on it, will this thing wake up some after I put some more miles on it or is this as good as it gets?

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I will say this! It's not a super car! My 2500 mega cab weighs in at 8100 lbs with all my gear in it. These trucks are heavy. My Ram boxes with gear put a lot of weight on the back end. I have 4:10 gears and i can not break the tires loose on dry pavement. I also run 45 psi in the back tires so they don't wear out so that also gives me more traction but worse fuel mileage. I would say they get up and go pretty good for how much they weigh. Sure the Cummins will get up and go better but it has almost double the torque and a much steeper price tag and cost of maintenance.
I am very happy with mine.
If I wanted to get up and go I would have bought a viper!

stealth78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I will say this! It's not a super car! My 2500 mega cab weighs in at 8100 lbs with all my gear in it. These trucks are heavy. My Ram boxes with gear put a lot of weight on the back end. I have 4:10 gears and i can not break the tires loose on dry pavement. I also run 45 psi in the back tires so they don't wear out so that also gives me more traction but worse fuel mileage. I would say they get up and go pretty good for how much they weigh. Sure the Cummins will get up and go better but it has almost double the torque and a much steeper price tag and cost of maintenance.
I am very happy with mine.
If I wanted to get up and go I would have bought a viper!

I realize it's not a sports car but still hoping it wakes up a bit. BTW I have a Viper.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry guys I haven't read all 149 pages but everyone is saying how much power the 6.4 has..... either I bought a **** or this thing is seriously limited/governed while in a break-in period??? I have to say I thought it would have a little more balls then this. Only have 400 miles on it, will this thing wake up some after I put some more miles on it or is this as good as it gets?

I am on the fence about buying a 6.4 ram right now. Honestly that was my first impression, I have a 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed and 3.55's which feels fast to me. This truck doesn't, if I watch the speedometer it appears to be decently fast though. Passing people I would look down and see I was going 80 without even realizing it. So I think the truck is decently fast for what it is, but they are so darn tall that it doesn't feel like it.

stealth78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am on the fence about buying a 6.4 ram right now. Honestly that was my first impression, I have a 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed and 3.55's which feels fast to me. This truck doesn't, if I watch the speedometer it appears to be decently fast though. Passing people I would look down and see I was going 80 without even realizing it. So I think the truck is decently fast for what it is, but they are so darn tall that it doesn't feel like it.

I had the 392 gears in my 13 Sport and I have the 373's in my 2500 (wish I went with the 410's). I have to agree about the speed thing... It doesn't feel like I'm accelerating that fast but the speedometer is climbing fairly fast. As for people saying that the 6.4 will break the tires loose from a roll on dry pavement, well they're full of **** unless they don't have the anti-spin rear. Definitely not going to break loose from a roll with the posi rear!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had the 392 gears in my 13 Sport and I have the 373's in my 2500 (wish I went with the 410's). I have to agree about the speed thing... It doesn't feel like I'm accelerating that fast but the speedometer is climbing fairly fast. As for people saying that the 6.4 will break the tires loose from a roll on dry pavement, well they're full of **** unless they don't have the anti-spin rear. Definitely not going to break loose from a roll with the posi rear!

I can say with 100% honesty that this one I am test driving will break the tires free on dry pavement, not near as much as my 1500 but it still will do it.

stealth78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can say with 100% honesty that this one I am test driving will break the tires free on dry pavement, not near as much as my 1500 but it still will do it.

But from a roll or from a dead stop? If it will do it from a roll then there is definitely something wrong with mine!

SB2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe the 6.4 is quicker than the cummins from a stop. Not long range but pulls pretty decently. Mine has 3.73s and even with 35s feels fine too me. Never tried to break the tires loose so unsure on that.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
my regular cab weighs in at 6500 unloaded but with me in it and it breaks the tires loose easily:naughty:

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Just noticed on mine that turning ON the tow/haul really makes a difference in the around town feel, much better off the line acceleration, and quicker shifts. Almost makes it feel tuned in my mind. Still no race car mind you :roflsquared:

Gumpsta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

It's really a matter of perception. If you drive a viper and then the truck, of course it's going to feel slow. My last truck was a 2006 mega cab with 42" tires and 3.73's. This one has 60+ more HP 37" tires and 4.10's so of course it feels very powerful to me.

My wife has a 2014 Toyota 4runner, and I'm pretty sure my 6.4 on 37's would beat it on a 1/4 mile. To me that's pretty impressive.

14PowerWaggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello

I've read about a quarter of the posts in this thread and have enjoyed what I've read so far... Figured I'd stop lurking and say hello... I bought a 2014 Power Wagon... It's a helluva truck... Huge off the lot... Only mods so far is tint on the front windows and AMP power boards going on 9/3/14... Gonna get a tonneau cover but haven't made up my mind on which one yet... Big plans for the truck, but going to go slowly this time around... Any other Power Wagons in this thread? Appreciate all the info so far... It has helped me with my decisions in other areas...

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've read about a quarter of the posts in this thread and have enjoyed what I've read so far... Figured I'd stop lurking and say hello... I bought a 2014 Power Wagon... It's a helluva truck... Huge off the lot... Only mods so far is tint on the front windows and AMP power boards going on 9/3/14... Gonna get a tonneau cover but haven't made up my mind on which one yet... Big plans for the truck, but going to go slowly this time around... Any other Power Wagons in this thread? Appreciate all the info so far... It has helped me with my decisions in other areas...
No, but i really like the power wagon! Especially the Laramie!

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I believe the 6.4 is quicker than the cummins from a stop. Not long range but pulls pretty decently. Mine has 3.73s and even with 35s feels fine too me. Never tried to break the tires loose so unsure on that.

Exactly right

whitetrashmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I too have a 2014 power wagon and just found out magnaflow exhaust catback wont't fit.I guess i will bite the bullet and build my own dual system.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I can break the tires loose in mine at will. I have to be careful at on ramps. If I'm rolling along at 40-50, and step on it, I have to be mindful of the rear kicking out.
I run 65 psi on all 4 corners when unloaded, because I can't stand the EVIC warnings.
I don't have any issues taking a Cummins right off the line, but that probably torque management more than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk