Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Keep my 5.7 Hemi or trade for EcoDiesel

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cubmedic, Jan 25, 2018.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. cubmedic

cubmedic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Like the title states, Keep my '16 with the Hemi or with the prices and discounts out there trade for EcoDiesel.

2. dexter

dexter Banned

Why?

3. cubmedic

cubmedic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    better fuel mileage, Diesel motors last longer.

4. dexter

dexter Banned

Do the math ... you may not be able to recover the cost of the swap via fuel savings and the cost of DEF and more oil.

"Although today’s turbochargers are significantly more reliable than those nightmares in the 1980s that were as effective at burning oil as creating power, in the longer-term, it is a potential expense if you plan on keeping your truck for more than 150,000 miles."

Diesel motors last longer but they cost much more to repair.

http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/1501-ram-tough-dilemma-hemi-vs-ecodiesel/

U&A and 2010 Infantry Vet like this.
  5. cubmedic

cubmedic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Makes since. I just wanted some other thoughts. I'm not saying which way I'm leaning because I do not want it to sway others opinion. I like honest answers.

6. MT Hillbilly

MT Hillbilly Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I am undecided about the new body of the 2018 ram, but.. Man, some of the new features are very appealing!! Assuming you are talking about a 4th gen eco... are you going to keep it long enough to recover the cost of buying it?.. However if you do get one, Please let me know how you like it compared, I have been curious about how they feel, compared to the hemi!
    I am a sucker for fords glass ceiling, love that it will be available in Ram. the stupid air dam catches on curbs of my stock Ram, so having an active one that only lowers when at speeds is GREAT! And that beautiful 12" center would make my long trips REALLY nice! I have never heard of a truck that has reclining rear seats before, but.. My elderly loved ones would/should love that feature when going the 1800 miles from my house to theirs! OH, and they can haul more and tow more...Just not sure about the body... I am waiting till I see one... or forty ;) Oh, and lets not forget the electric motor that adds 175 ft lbs to the 5.7 hemi for taking off and deceleration... That, could be good or bad?!? but Certainly good for starting off with a load!.... until the battery behind that reclining seat goes up in smoke. :) Just not sure about the looks of it though... The badging looks like a ford to me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. 2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I say keep your 5.7
    I have seen tons of diesel truck that will not start in cold weather, unless you plug in the heater. But im biased since I had to drive diesel humvees and european 4cyl turbo diesel rangers for two years in Afganistan. Lol

Ramitiner likes this.
  8. Joes1500

Joes1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I had an eco Diesel, had a love /hate relationship with it.

Love the fuel mileage

Hated the fact that on a $58,000 vehicle it $36,000 dollars worth of warranty work including a new engine within 2.5 years and 48,000 miles. The amount of time it spent at the dealer in those 2.5 years was over 9 months

Traded it on a 5.7 and have no regrets lesson learned---- if you want a diesel , get a cummins. Should have never got ride of mine.

cubmedic likes this.
  9. cubmedic

cubmedic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

This is the kind of reply's I was looking for. I was looking for fuel more than anything. Will only save about $500 a year over Hemi. I can find Rebel's for far cheaper and they have the 44/45 transfer case.

10. kukufixer

kukufixer Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ecodiesel 3.0
    I have a '16 ecodiesel and really like it. Depends on what you want in deciding. If you want to burn rubber and go like a bat out of hell, then keep the hemi. If you want to drive past the gas station and laugh at the guys with hemis, then get the ED. If it upsets you to see the gas gauge visibly drop while towing, then get the ED. I drive about 28 miles to work as a combo city and interstate with mid 20s mileage. The ED isn't a grumpy Cummins 2500, the ED sounds more irritated but you can still tell it is diesel. Get the GDE tune if you go the ED route and you won't have to buy DEF. Diesels have fewer moving parts so less to break.
    Jump over to the Ram1500Diesel forum where the ecodiesel owners post and ask for opinions.

G8rDuc and crash68 like this.