Thinking Keep my 5.7 Hemi or trade for EcoDiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would keep the Hemi. I owned a 2nd gen 2002 Cummins 2500 for 10 yrs. I bought it in 04 with 37k miles and sold it in 14 with 265k miles. It was a very good truck but it was a 5.9L so there wasnt any emissions or pollution control systems on the truck. I've not been a fan of the newer diesel with all the emission controls on them. When I was looking for a new truck in 2014 I realized I didn't use my diesel any more for alot of towing like I did when I bought it and I wasn't wanting a new diesel. So for me the Hemi was a good option, 4 yrs and 50k miles later I'm very pleased with my 1500 hemi. If I were to buy a new truck today I would go with a hemi again.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ask yourself this question...how are you going to plug your diesel motor into an electrical cord at walmart so it will start in cold weather? Couldnt pay me to buy a diesel. If thats not enough, diesel which is a less refined fuel, is way higher in cost than gas.

Had my eco diesel through 2 winters with around 0 degree weather . Never plugged it in once. Never had a problem with it starting ,even after sitting for 2-3 days.

Have been driving diesel pickups for 20 years both personal and work, (oilfield). We never plug them in and never have problems with them starting. Now the big trucks , that's a different story.

The biggest problem with the newer ones with below 0 weather is the DEF fluid freezing. And they are not heated even you did choose to plug it in.

OP
OP
cubmedic

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I drove a couple of trucks the other day. An eco diesel, new Hemi 5.7 and also a Power Wagon with the 6.4. None of them made me want to get rid of my Big Horn. The Power Wagon while the extras are nice. I know I will never use the off-road stuff. I would like a winch but why mount a winch to the front. What I found out when I had my accident was that a front mounted winch would have done me no good. So I will get a winch for my Big Horn but I will have it mounted to a mount to be used on both front and rear. I will put a front mount hitch on my truck also. Build up thread to follow.

mjpep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I traded my '13 Hemi for a '15 EcoDiesel. I wanted the mileage boost and the new truck is a Crew vs the old truck's Quad cab. I've had no issues with the motor. I've read about a lot of other people's issues but I've had none. This winter has been extremely cold and it's never been an issue, starts right up, and I've never plugged it in. The mileage with the stock tires on 20" rims is great, I got 27 mpg on the highway over long road trips. I've changed the tires and wheels on mine to a set off a Rebel, 17" with the Toyo tires, and the mileage has dropped around 2 mpg. The oil changes are expensive too. If you do it yourself (which you should, it's easy) it'll still cost you around $130 for the oil and filter, but it's a 10,000 mile interval. There's lots of discussion on which oil is best, check out the EcoDiesel specific forums for more on that. Overall if you're trying to save money, it's not going to work. If you're looking to upgrade for other reasons, I say don't let the EcoDiesel scare you, there's a lot more people that have had great experiences with them than people with problems. Of course if you're buying it used, you'll be wondering why someone else got rid of it...good luck!

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I just traded my '14 in on a '17 ED...the thread is on this board if you want to look it up.

My CFO's 2012 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 had a catastrophic engine failure right at 90K miles, it was $6000 to get it up and running again. I've worked with the man for 18 years...he is good to his vehicles. Long story short, do I look at all 5.7 engines that way? Nope...he just got the bad luck of the draw is all.

I've read good ED stories...and bad. Because of this, I took my warranty to 7 years. If it has to live at the shop...I'll be sure to tell you all about it.

Don Hileman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the 5.7 is doing a good job for you, keep it! if you trade it in you will lose money which you will not recover over the lower fuel bill! The 5.7 is a great hauller for it size , If it meets your needs keep it! If you want to throw money away send it to me!

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Costly to work on Diesel engines

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I bought an Eco in 2016 for the economy. Since then, diesel in California has gone up well over a dollar gallon since I bought it. Gas around here now is $2.89 a gallon, diesel is $3.45. I wish I would have bought a HEMI truck now

mystictmoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking into getting an ecodiesel instead of a gas, but looking more into it, the ecodiesel is not made by cummins. and there was a recall on some of them, maybe they fixed it by now. I believe it might be made by mercedes. I didnt get a good feeling for them, so i ended up buying a 5.7 hemi, love it so far!!!

Slugger134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2011 RAM 1500 was running beautifully, getting great gas mileage on a trip from VA to IL. The dash flashed 4 wheel drive failure, the check engine came on, an alarm sounded and the lightning bolt flashed on the screen. The engine died and I coasted to the side of the interstate. Had it towed to dealership since I bought the extended warranty. Service manager said I had a catastrophic engine failure. Went back to where the technician was tearing into the engine, the left lifters and push rods had been removed so far and half of the push rods were bent.
My wife and I decided to trade in for a 2017 RAM bighorn. We are confident of a long relationship with this RAM.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking into getting an ecodiesel instead of a gas, but looking more into it, the ecodiesel is not made by cummins. and there was a recall on some of them, maybe they fixed it by now. I believe it might be made by mercedes. I didnt get a good feeling for them, so i ended up buying a 5.7 hemi, love it so far!!!

The eco diesel is made by VM MOTORI. There is evidence of Banks Performance being involved , but I believe that is only for the off road performance version that Banks offers.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 RAM 1500 was running beautifully, getting great gas mileage on a trip from VA to IL. The dash flashed 4 wheel drive failure, the check engine came on, an alarm sounded and the lightning bolt flashed on the screen. The engine died and I coasted to the side of the interstate. Had it towed to dealership since I bought the extended warranty. Service manager said I had a catastrophic engine failure. Went back to where the technician was tearing into the engine, the left lifters and push rods had been removed so far and half of the push rods were bent.
My wife and I decided to trade in for a 2017 RAM bighorn. We are confident of a long relationship with this RAM.

Mine had catastrophic engine failure at the dealership. Was there for check engine light that was for the regen (one of many times ). They had it for 3 days. They called and told us it was ready. We got there and as the guy was bringing it from around back it started hammering severely and would not stay running. I heard and witnessed this , by the way.

Upon teardown , found that 2 rod bearings let go. This was at 48,000 miles.

Star Chrysler tech flew in and said that he had seen many of these just like this.

That was about the same time the TSB came out to change the weight of oil they were supposed to use in them.

So Chryslers answer to faulty bearings is to run a slightly different weight oil. I had them replace the engine ,top to bottom and the complete oil system. No telling were pieces of those bearings had gotten to and were hidding This was of course all under warranty.

Then traded it on a 5.7. Don't regret it.