This is scary as hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Wow, I'm now so glad my truck isn't push to start.
I heard just recently FCA had like 9 or 10 Chargers and Challengers get stolen from the production plant by these same means. It was like a scene from gone in 60 seconds. They got into the facility (obviously had some inside help or worked there) and then into the new cars, used the first one as a battering ram on the fence to get around security and then the others all blew through the hole. Cops caught the first guy because he broke the car on the fence and eventually crashed. Everyone else got away though.
You would think after losing that kind of money before the vehicle is even sold would be enough incentive for them to change ****. They will knit-pick every second of wasted time inside the plant to save money but will let Nicholas Cage and the gang just walk in and take over half a million in cars for free.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Key cloning has been around a long time. Main reason I never went to the proximity stuff.

He went 7 miles and could have probably gone until out of gas.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like one of the comments says.... This is not unique to FCA vehicles. Anything with a fob can be spoofed in this manner.

And this is why I pay for insurance.

It does make me consider changing where I keep my keys or possibly lining our key storage area with something that would block the signal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, that is why you have insurance. I have an extra Rider for my add-ons. I'm sure I don't have even a small percentage of the mods that many here do. But I pay an extra $100 a year for $5,000 in accessories and there's no depreciation on them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
even if the manufacturers limit how far a vehicle can be driven without a key fob in the vehicle, the their just needs to get it far enough away for a flat bed to haul it away.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yawn lol to me scary as hell is waking up to Harris as president.. If somebody wants to steel mine have at it. it is insured and I don't keep anything of sentimental value in the truck. I have never been super attached my vehicles so would just buy another to take its place.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having it stolen would kill me, even though we have insurance you'll never get what it would take to replace it with the mods you've made out of pocket. You'll definitely lose out in the deal, maybe upside down if you have a note.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
The older ones were almost too easy.
When I was a kid (Probably 10-11) I broke the key off in the door of my dads '87 Sierra. I was trying to use it to move a bunch of tires instead of moving them all by hand. The Doors were locked and I broke off the ignition key in the door. He was at work and we lived on a very rural Ranch in Arizona.
I panicked thinking about the ass whooping I was going to receive when he got home that night. So I used a coat hanger to pull the lock lever up from between the window and the exterior door panel. I got in and then proceeded to Hot wire the fuel pump with a residential light switch and a momentary push button for the starter.
I was able to use the truck for my chores and my dad was only half as pissed I thought he would be that night.
He left it like that and actually sold it to someone a few years later.
Not sure if he was proud of my ability to correct my mistake or ashamed that my ******** didn't know the difference between the door and ignition key. :rotflmao:

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
just heard from the ex who works for parts in a dodge dealer that you can drive a dodge with out the key fob if its running for as long as you want. once you shut it off thats it though.