TIPM Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So this week my truck wouldn’t start. It would turn over but just wouldn’t start. So I had it towed to a repair shop who found my fuel pump was done for. After replacing the fuel pump I got the truck back and was running just fine. The next morning after getting the truck back I walked out to my truck and only 10 steps away I could hear the fuel pump running. So I took the truck back to the repair shop and had them look at it. They said it is a TIPM fuel pump relay failure and the whole thing needed to be replaced to the tune of $1200. I said no thank you and went to pick up my truck. The tech explained to me the situation and how the fuse for the relay is built in so the whole thing has to be replaced to repair it. But when the managers back was turned he told me dodge makes a BYPASS KIT bc it’s such a common issue. I looked it up and $30 on eBay. Already ordered one. Should be here later this week so I will update this post when I get it installed. I did a search on the forum and found several posts about this TIPM issue but no one had posted a fix for it other than repairing it, so I thought I’d do the neighborly thing and post my findings and the link to the bypass kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIPM-Fuel-...7-2016-Caravan-Town-Country-Ram-/292112319102

Again, I will update my post after I get it installed about if it works or not. But $30 compared to $1200, I’d be a fool not to try it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ugh another TIPM failure. Let us know how the install of that kit goes. Keep in mind when the TIPM has numerous failure points which are built into the circuit board. A new TIPM from allmoparparts.com is around $330 and then needs to be flashed. It should just plug in, $1200 for that is pretty steep...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reminds me of the control panel in my high efficiency washing machine.

Crap solder, crap solder joints, crap surface mounted relays in an environment that shakes a lot. Of COURSE it fails. But it fails so often, of course there is someone out there rebuilding them :)

The same place that sells that fuel pump relay bypass on eBay has a website with a few options to fix it. Not just the bypass but a neat circuit board module that plugs in instead of the relays. But thats expensive (199). They also repair the TIPM for 265.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a recall on other TIPM equipped vehicles that installs a more permanent hack bypass, dunno if there is one on a RAM. There have been several reliability complaints on the hack. The newer model number TIPMs seem to be more robust and is a more durable way to repair these. I don't think there is any TIPM flashing involved as it picks up the configuration from the PCM, but RAM may be different. The hardest part is moving all the fuses and plug in relays over.

OP
OP
jaked1500

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There was a recall on other TIPM equipped vehicles that installs a more permanent hack bypass, dunno if there is one on a RAM. There have been several reliability complaints on the hack. The newer model number TIPMs seem to be more robust and is a more durable way to repair these. I don't think there is any TIPM flashing involved as it picks up the configuration from the PCM, but RAM may be different. The hardest part is moving all the fuses and plug in relays over.

From what information I was able to find, TIPM didn’t fail as often on RAMs as it did on the other TIPM equipped vehicles so there was never a recall issued on the RAMs.

OP
OP
jaked1500

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok so got the bypass kit in the mail today. 5min install and no issues so far. The pump is no longer running when the truck is off and the truck starts just fine. The instructions say that it shouldn’t affect anything else on the truck. Instructions do state that it shouldn’t be used as a permanent fix however it does say that they’ve had customers that have used it for 2-3yrs with no issues. So far it’s doing what it promised and I’m happy.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so got the bypass kit in the mail today. 5min install and no issues so far. The pump is no longer running when the truck is off and the truck starts just fine. The instructions say that it shouldn’t affect anything else on the truck. Instructions do state that it shouldn’t be used as a permanent fix however it does say that they’ve had customers that have used it for 2-3yrs with no issues. So far it’s doing what it promised and I’m happy.

How long did you run this, and did it cause an issue with the factory remote start?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ugh another TIPM failure. Let us know how the install of that kit goes. Keep in mind when the TIPM has numerous failure points which are built into the circuit board. A new TIPM from allmoparparts.com is around $330 and then needs to be flashed. It should just plug in, $1200 for that is pretty steep...

Do dealers give you any grief over bringing one in to be flashed? And they can flash the TIPM without being in your truck? Just wondering if my truck is dead in the driveway and order one of these TIPM's i just bring that to the dealer, correct?

OP
OP
jaked1500

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How long did you run this, and did it cause an issue with the factory remote start?

I ran with it for another year and a half before I traded in that truck with it still on there. Never had an issue.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran with it for another year and a half before I traded in that truck with it still on there. Never had an issue.

Thanks man, sux I replaced the battery thinking it was that and turns out every AM I have the same problems. I just have to find a new spot for my xb headlights fuse tap.

Bradley Yelland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2012 ram 1500 5.7l

anybody have issues with power supply to tipm bolt that it gets so hot and doesn't make proper connection? I'm on my 2nd tipm and its doing the same as my factory one, I though it was accessory lights I had installed but thats not it. I called dodge.and they said possibly engine harness needs to be changed for the positive cable anybody else have similar issue or.am I chasing my tail and just burn the sob