Tire P.S.I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let’s touch on your point questioning the lady you spoke with at Toyo. She’s referencing the load inflation table:

View attachment 239693

the stock Goodyear’s reach a max capacity of 2,601 lbs @ 35 psi. The tire has the capacity to be aired up to a max of 44 psi but from 35 psi to 44 psi the load capacity does not increase.

Just to confirm, you’re talking about the tire, not the truck, correct?

Since I’m pretty sure you’re talking about the tire, then why is it stamped otherwise on the sidewall? Because tire rack said so and that lady at Toyo said so when in my opinion, it’s probably more than likely that she’s probably supposed to tell you that so that somebody doesn’t look at that sidewall and think that if the take that number and multiply it by two because, you know, yep tires that if they were to inflate the tires to 44 pounds of pressure that they can all of a sudden safely haul around in their half-ton bed, a whole pallet of 80 pound sacks of concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So instead of just looking like you’re now resorting to using a whole n’other website to argue with the other one, or a last ditch effort to prove the point of that other one, what is your stance on what I told you about how this 10% thing only applies to light truck tires replacing P-rated tires? Or do you have nothing to say about it?

But who knows, maybe all that stuff up there that you grabbed from tire rack‘s website is pretty much what she was telling me when she said that increasing my tires pressure up to 44 pounds of pressure is not gonna do anything, she just didn’t go into that great of detail of what you posted above which, I don’t even know why you even posted that because I’ve already told you that I have no plans to overload my truck even if both Goodyear and Michelin would probably still tell you that they don’t care what their tires are on, that if it says X amount of weight (((AT))) X amount of pressure, then that’s what that tire will support at that pressure.

But one thing I question about all that you posted, It’s awful funny how it talks about actual passenger cars and such. Well even though I kind of see where they’re coming from, you don’t see a whole lot of 275/60/20 tires mounted to a whole lot of small cars and small SUVs so, why would that lead anybody to believe that’s the same passenger rated tires they use on trucks and large SUVs, would even be in the same ballpark of tires they use on Honda civics, dodge Durango‘s and Nissan pathfinder’s? Besides that, since it’s already been duly noted that the passenger rated tires that come on our trucks are well enough equipped to handle everything that you could legally toss at that pickup so, why does it even matter anymore that the stuff you got the tire racks website goes against what the sidewalls of my original tires said?

This dialogue between us was never about me giving you specific advice on the tire pressure you run in your Michelin’s. You asked me about a statement I made and I’ve been offering up evidence to support my statements. Citing TireRack is no last ditch efforts, it’s simply ANOTHER source of information that is in concurrence with the info from Toyo. The info from Toyo and TireRack does not contradict each other, they complement each other.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This dialogue between us was never about me giving you specific advice on the tire pressure you run in your Michelin’s. You asked me about a statement I made and I’ve been offering up evidence to support my statements. Citing TireRack is no last ditch efforts, it’s simply ANOTHER source of information that is in concurrence with the info from Toyo. The info from Toyo and TireRack does not contradict each other, they complement each other.

You’re right, it wasn’t, but the moment I corrected you on what major tire brands say about their tires, that’s when you started in on this whole thing and whether or not the sources of information complement each other or not, I still proved to you that in the beginning, your ten percent stuff really only pertains to LT tires replacing our stock P-rated tires. Now whether or not a P-rated tire can support whatever it says it can on the sidewall, who cares. We are still limited to what our trucks can and can’t do and tires isn’t going to change that.

But I’m just curious, where does tire rack get their information from that you cited second? At least the first part has the NHTSB and whatever that other long acronym was to back that up, but where does it say (other than tire rack) that the tires they put on all halftons and large suvs is reduced just because of what they are on?

But again, it’s still funny how you haven’t commented towards a lot of what I’ve said like about how what you were thinking in the beginning only applies to LT tires and not P-rated tires and when I said basically, how many 33’ tires with 20 inch wheels are mounted to small cars and SUVs??? It’s pretty much because of that why I don’t care what tire rack says. I’m not running the same tires my girlfriend has on her little Honda Civic, or the even smaller passenger tires my mom has on her even smaller Mazda hatchback on my full-size truck.

But whatever, deflect all you want, I really don’t care. After talking to that lady at Toyo, even if I do someday have to make the ole Hemi break a sweat again some day while on the p rated Michelins, I’m not gonna worry about my tires because they are more than capable of doing the job because just like in the first post that you made when I responded to you and told you that three major tire companies would argue with what you said, when you said something about as long as you use the inflation table, yada yada yada, and as long as you find a tire that’ll hold like 2300 and some odd pounds, that you’d be fine… Well, you’d be pretty hard-pressed to find a tire in our stock size that won’t do what even the stock SRA’s‘s can do. It’s just like with tires that are in a 35 inch size; you’ll also be very hard pressed to find a 35 inch tall tire that is not a 10 ply because of the fact that what most tire manufacturers make a tire in that size, for, they make them for the people who think that’ll be buying them, is to go off road and they want a tire that’ll handle whatever they encounter while on the trail. Pretty much another reason why I’ll probably never level or lift my truck and put big tires on because I don’t want 10 ply tires on my truck. I tried that once with eight ply tires and the smooth ride that sold me on my truck, just up and vanished and my mileage suffered.

Last edited:

Hogman338

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you go

Attachments

• NEXEN_TIRE_SAFETY_BULLETIN___REPLACING_LT_TIRES_ON_LIGHT_TRUCKS (1).pdf
    318.8 KB · Views: 3

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@6.7CumminsDrvr

Something else… I decided to hop on a chat line with somebody over at tire rack and guess what, they pretty much told me that a 33 inch tall P rated tire is not reduced by any means just because it’s on a truck. They did however say something rather unusual about how when you referenced that tire inflation chart that you used after you brought tire rack into the conversation but apparently, even though it says on the tire 2601 pounds at 44 psi, he said that it’s 2601 pounds from 35 pounds of pressure all the way up to 44 psi. Maybe that’s why the lady at Toyo told me what she told me when she said that there was not going to be any change or gain in anything upon going to the maximum pressure on your tires but still,I still don’t argue with that because the lady already told me that the 39 pounds of pressure that they write on that sticker that’s inside our door jamb, covers every aspect of how the truck is going to be used whether it’s empty with just one person in it or loaded to the max. It sure is awful confusing though, at least to me anyway, it is, that both Goodyear and Michelin make it look like the tires will only hold 2601 pounds or 2679 pounds right at 44 psi. To me, that means right there at that point. Doesn’t say those two numbers at 35 psi or above, it says directly at 44 psi.

But in any respect, I don’t see what more there is to talk about this so maybe we can get this thread back on track and people can start talking about what tire pressures they run.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you go

I’m glad you posted that because even though I’m sure it probably already somewhat says that in the links that ramdriver posted but this right there sure shows even more interesting information about how it states that the original factory equipment tire was a light truck tire and somebody is pulling that off and replacing it with a P rated tire. Interesting stuff.

But I sure hope you’re not trying to use this to say what’s been said all along about passenger tires being reduced just because they’re on light trucks…

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another FWIW...the manual in my Ram 3500 specified a lower pressure if not fully loaded or hauling a heavy trailer, but if you were, then bump the psi up to a higher pressure. (don't have the manual in front of me, so I can't give specifics...seems it was 65 up to 80, if memory serves) But I wasn't gonna keep letting air out and replacing it, so I ran them at the higher pressure, with no apparent difficulties or side effects.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another FWIW...the manual in my Ram 3500 specified a lower pressure if not fully loaded or hauling a heavy trailer, but if you were, then bump the psi up to a higher pressure. (don't have the manual in front of me, so I can't give specifics...seems it was 65 up to 80, if memory serves) But I wasn't gonna keep letting air out and replacing it, so I ran them at the higher pressure, with no apparent difficulties or side effects.

Well, that’s worth it quite a bit to me because see, you’re talking about a heavy duty truck that probably came with 10 ply tires on it from the factory, am I correct? If that’s the case, then I think that actually explains finally to me why a 10 ply or an eight ply tire has to have so much air in it to support the same weight as a P rated tire can because like, when I pulled those factory SRA’s off of my truck at just a mere 1500 miles in to owning my brand new truck three years ago, Now I think I know why BFG told me I had to run my tires at 55 psi all the way around with a minimum of no less than 50 because if my stock tires will hold 2601 pounds at 35 psi or above, that explains why those tires needed so much air which I think also explains that in order to support the 3000 pounds thats stamped on the side wall, those tires in fact have to be inflated to 65 psi whereas my stock SRA’s‘s and my Michelin‘s only need 35 psi and above.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it's not. It's facts.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

So what are you trying to say, that the tread contact with the road is different when the wheel is turning at high speeds vs slow speeds? I know that R/C tires can balloon like hell from the extreme centrifugal force but not automotive tires....lol. Unless they’re top fuel drag cars when they do their burnouts. 45292be04624544c4e466bcac212a4ee.jpg

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
So what are you trying to say, that the tread contact with the road is different when the wheel is turning at high speeds vs slow speeds? I know that R/C tires can balloon like hell from the extreme centrifugal force but not automotive tires....lol. Unless they’re top fuel drag cars when they do their burnouts. 45292be04624544c4e466bcac212a4ee.jpg

It does do it to automotive tires. If you don't think it does, you go tell that the three tire manufacturers. They didn't hundres of thousands of dollars on research on these things, and it gets relayed to us sales people in our training seminars. This exact thing has been in my seminars from michelin group, bridgestone, kumho, and general tire. All the same results about contact patch at different speeds, and the chalk trst myth.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does do it to automotive tires. If you don't think it does, you go tell that the three tire manufacturers. They didn't hundres of thousands of dollars on research on these things, and it gets relayed to us sales people in our training seminars. This exact thing has been in my seminars from michelin group, bridgestone, kumho, and general tire. All the same results about contact patch at different speeds, and the chalk trst myth.

Well, I guess I’d have to see this first hand with my own two eyes, a regular ole automotive tire that gets taller and skinnier the faster it spins before I buy into that but I don’t know, it kind of seem to me that maybe there could be some kind of a rotational affect from centrifugal force like that on it on it but I wouldn’t think it would be that much to even be remotely concerned about it.

I can speak from experience from the only time that I’ve ever had to play with tire pressure to make the whole tread make contact with the road that I’ve ever had to only do that based on how fast I drove. As I mentioned way up there at the top of this thread, that set of 285/75-16 Yokohama GeoLander AT 2’s that I had once a long time ago on my old 98 ram about 1500, I just got out there on the highway and drove it a couple of miles at highway speed and then pulled over on the shoulder to take note of how much of the tread was black and how much of the shoulders wasn’t so that I’d let a tiny bit more air out and drive another couple miles down the road and pull over to see what changed. I mean sure, I’m not gonna say that I was able to find the result that I wanted in just a short amount of time, it did take a while to find this out but as I said before, that chalk test and what I did really should only apply for if you’re trying to put too wide of the tire on too narrow of a wheel because if your tire is pretty much made to go on the size of wheel you have, then you shouldn’t really have to do this.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Deleted.

Holy ****, people.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
where do these PSIs come from?

i searched amazon and even called earl down at the garage/ mini mart/ hair salon and he didnt know either

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
where do these PSIs come from?

i searched amazon and even called earl down at the garage/ mini mart/ hair salon and he didnt know either

Cuz ya gotta call ole Jimmy Bob down there at the bait shop, tire care taxidermist and liquor store.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
75-79 all 4 same

Last edited by a moderator:

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
For best MPG the max recommended on the tire side wall. Cold which means not driven for a few hours. Never release air if checked hot it's gonna go up when heated.