To MDS or Not MDS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
OK so I really don’t like driving with the MDS enabled so I have been using the Gear +/- like a lot of folks to disable it after I start my truck.

BUT recently I have seen posts that state the lifters do not get the same amount of lubrication when the MDS is turned off through the Gear +/- as they do when they are operating using the MDS “normal” mode or turned off using a tuner.

So my real question is this: If I continue to run with MDS off using the Gear +/- buttons will I hurt my lifters in the long run?

2016 Longhorn with 70K miles. Redline 5W-30 and RP 20-80 filter every 10K miles. Last UOA came back great. So 10K mile interval is OK.

Thanks and God Bless !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s no real evidence that this speeds up or slows down the lifter failure. Nobody really KNOWS what causes it and when. There’s tons of theories. My MDS was tuned off via tuner, I still got the lifter failure.
Drive it the way you enjoy it, keep up with maintenance, and keep a back up bank roll for when it’s cam/lifter upgrade/replacement time.
Good luck.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
In MY opinion, I have my MDS turned of by a tuner. You ask 10 people you're going to get 10 different answers. I have 136000 miles on mine and all is great so far. I'm at the point that I believe you either have the defective cam and lifters or you don't. I change my oil at 5000 miles no matter what. Nothing wrong with getting your oil sample checked if it makes you feel better but to me it just lets you know ahead of time to prepare to spend a lot of money and I'm not going to worry myself to death worrying about it, the tick (noise) will let me know when it's time.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turn mine off with the -/+ buttons every time I drive it. I am just under 30,000 miles.

I hate the sound of the motor on MDS and the hesitation when it comes off MDS. I would tune it out but that is expensive on my 2017 and the gear buttons are free.

I usually lock out 8th gear when I am bombing around the city to keep the revs up and hopefully help my oil coverage.

I would like to believe that using good oil and changing it every 6000 miles while keeping the idle time down to a minimum will be more of a factor.

Time will tell.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drive it the way you enjoy it, keep up with maintenance, and keep a back up bank roll for when it’s cam/lifter upgrade/replacement time.
I'm not going to fix mine if it ever lets go and I pray to God that it doesn't. Hell nawwww. lol
Time for me to trade up and order a 2021.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not going to fix mine if it ever lets go and I pray to God that it doesn't. Hell nawwww. lol
Time for me to trade up and order a 2021.
Wouldn’t get a dime for mine how it sits now plus it’s paid off. Also just picked up a CTS-V, so not crazy about a new truck note to boot lol.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn’t get a dime for mine how it sits now plus it’s paid off. Also just picked up a CTS-V, so not crazy about a new truck note to boot lol.
NICE!! What year CTS-V?? Pics?
My Ram is paid off as well. I really want to order a Hellcat widebody Charger as my daily, but I can't living out here. Sucks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK so I really don’t like driving with the MDS enabled so I have been using the Gear +/- like a lot of folks to disable it after I start my truck.

BUT recently I have seen posts that state the lifters do not get the same amount of lubrication when the MDS is turned off through the Gear +/- as they do when they are operating using the MDS “normal” mode or turned off using a tuner.

So my real question is this: If I continue to run with MDS off using the Gear +/- buttons will I hurt my lifters in the long run?

2016 Longhorn with 70K miles. Redline 5W-30 and RP 20-80 filter every 10K miles. Last UOA came back great. So 10K mile interval is OK.

Thanks and God Bless !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turning the MDS off via a tune still doesn't change the oil to lifter issue.You have to physically pull the MDS solenoids and replace them with either Ma Mopars MDS block off plugs or the aftermarket plugs like Stanke builds. Mopar has the solenoid replacement plugs in plastic,while Stanke has them in billet aluminium.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have mine turned off through the tuner and have had since the truck was new. At over 70k I have not experienced any problems with lifters or the cam.
Jay

I also have a 2016, what kind of tuner do you use to deactivate the mds?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, your PCM needs to be unlocked or you need to purchase one that has been unlocked. You can contact Diablo and they can explain the process.
Jay

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, your PCM needs to be unlocked or you need to purchase one that has been unlocked. You can contact Diablo and they can explain the process.
Jay

thank you, had a shop tell me that it as about a thousand dollar job to do, guess that is the reason for the high cost.

Kayakbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$536 to swap your pcm with a Diablo unlocked one ( you exchange yours for theirs) and you get an an I3 tuner. I did it and really like having the mds crap turned off and I run the 91 can tune that came with it. Truck runs great! I installed it myself in less than an hour. It’s easy. I highly recommend this mod.
I called emailed and called again Moes over a couple days to no Advil. I went ahead and ordered it direct from Diablo and got it and installed it two days later. Great service.

Last edited:

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015+ for the PCM swap as they didn’t lock them in the earlier years. Best way to get ahold of Matt is by email and he’ll set you up.
Now, I have had my MDS tuned off as well via Diablo T2 with custom HF tune without issue for the last 3 years. Truck runs a lot better firing on all cylinders all the time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last edited: