Trading it in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 19 1500 big horn, blacked out edition. When I bought the truck I couldn’t afford new diesel truck prices. I am always looking for my next truck, found a 2013 2500 with 85k longhorn edition. Black and gold. I am giving this some serious thought. Just asking for opinions here. I have nothing to haul, I had an 03 3500 back about 14 years ago and absolutely loved it. I really would like another diesel. Thanks

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's all about what's important to you. The 19 is going to ride better and more luxury. If you dont haul my honest opinion is to keep the 19. I thought about a diesel myself when I got my 18 but the EPA and the new laws took the fun out of it for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I have a 19 1500 big horn, blacked out edition. When I bought the truck I couldn’t afford new diesel truck prices. I am always looking for my next truck, found a 2013 2500 with 85k longhorn edition. Black and gold. I am giving this some serious thought. Just asking for opinions here. I have nothing to haul, I had an 03 3500 back about 14 years ago and absolutely loved it. I really would like another diesel. Thanks
Your money, your ride, do what you want. It’s none of our business. But, you did ask so.....You stated you couldn’t afford a diesel when you bought the 19 Big Horn so I’ll assume your not flush with cash. If your needing to, or just trying to, reduce your your capitol investment in a vehicle sell first then buy. Trading will lessen the capitol reduction.

If you’re doing this just because you want to and are making payments and are one who is constantly in debt. One who never really “owns” anything and your ok with that, I think you need to rethink what you’re doing. Then again; your money, your ride, do what you want. It’s none of our business. But you did ask....

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
me, Id keep the 19.....if you don't haul, seems your going backwards IMHO

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
1) You will take a bath on trading or selling your new truck.
2) Diesel repairs are not cheap.
3) You will be saddled with an RFE transmission.
4) Increase the amount of your bi-weekly payment and wait a few years until you are no longer upside down on your truck loan then trade up. 2022 is supposed to be the year they bring out the completely redesigned truck so the leftovers and used market will give you plenty of choice and deals.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Payments or paying cash? If cash and you don't mind losing a bunch go for it. Payments? Stop making the banks rich. A paid off truck rides and drives 4X nicer than one with payments :)

Money aside, the diesel HD truck will have a comparatively terrible ride, have some added maintenance, and you'll sometimes have trouble finding fuel. If that all sounds great then go for it. I'd never dream of getting a diesel just for fun (unless I had A LOT of $$).

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My personal opinion is Diesel is a waste of money if you don’t need it. I can tell you I wouldn’t spend an extra $10k to have a slow (Cummins) Diesel engine if I didn’t tow heavy. You’d find me in a much more comfortable riding half ton.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Like with gasoline engines, diesel powered vehicles have their own pros and cons. Before deciding what to do, sit down and list the pros and cons for each. Be honest with yourself. When you can't think of any more, you'll hopefully have a list to make a more informed choice. It's fun to get a new vehicle. It just isn't always a good decision, and it sucks to have regret after the "newness" wears off.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I will admit, I have two CTD powered Gen 4 trucks. I like the ride, and the way the diesel pulls and sounds. But honestly in traffic, in a panic situation. Your screwed if you think the diesel will snap your neck and accelerate like gas powered anything usually does when you tromp the pedal. With all the huge HP, and torque numbers the marketing people spew out, these diesel powered versions are flat out pooches. Luckily when I drive the "truck" I drive with that in mind. But hook them to something heavy like an RV, or something.... and they are a diamond.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I haven't heard that...But good, in only two years the 5th Gen haters will have something new to hate...
Googled 2022 Ram and found several articles talking about a new mid size truck and the new TRX which is meant to compete with the Ford Raptor. Both are expected to be available for 2022. The heavy duty trucks are expected to get a major redesign for 2022 but the 1500 is only scheduled for a minor cosmetic upgrade.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Googled 2022 Ram and found several articles talking about a new mid size truck and the new TRX which is meant to compete with the Ford Raptor. Both are expected to be available for 2022. The heavy duty trucks are expected to get a major redesign for 2022 but the 1500 is only scheduled for a minor cosmetic upgrade.

They need to bring back the Dakota with a HEMI option.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect diesel fuel prices to stay this low for very long either. As soon as this Coronavirius thing gets sorted out and with the constant whining from the Saudi's and OPEC prices should be back close to $3 or higher in no time. If another Democrat gets back in the Whitehouse you can look for $4 plus. I would hate to have a huge truck payment and have to shell out $100 for a fill up every time.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I wouldn't expect diesel fuel prices to stay this low for very long either. As soon as this Coronavirius thing gets sorted out and with the constant whining from the Saudi's and OPEC prices should be back close to $3 or higher in no time. If another Democrat gets back in the Whitehouse you can look for $4 plus. I would hate to have a huge truck payment and have to shell out $100 for a fill up every time.

I’m a little more optimistic. I don’t think any amount of whining will sway this administration. I do believe Demorats will undo our achievements and bow to OPEC if given the opportunity though.. lol

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

well they are already that here where I live. $3.89/gal on my last fill up. Down from $3.99/gal about a month ago.