Transmission pan and fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It looks like I’ll be finishing this job tomorrow. I have three torque wrenches. My 3/8 inch drive torque wrench start at 20 foot pounds. I have a 1/4” drive torque wrench which will work however all of my torx bits including the T 40 are in 3/8” drive. I’ve got to wait until the wife comes home later so I can go to Harbor freight and get an adapter set. One of them converts 1/4” female to 3/8” drive male. This way I can use my T-40 torx bit with the 1/4” drive torque wrench.

By the way PPE says anywhere between 8 and 10 foot pounds on their pan. So I’m going to split it in the middle at 9 foot pounds. The quarter inch drive torque wrench is an inch pounds. So that’s 108 inch pounds, correct?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should these transmission bolts be going back in dry? Anti-seize or no anti-seize? I’m going to clean them up on the bench grinder wire wheel
I used new hex head bolts from Fastenal for my install as I have the black finish PPE pan. I cleaned the mounting holes with a tap and used a tiny amount of nickel antiseize on the bolts.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning,

Once I get the original pan off I’m going to check the transmission surfaces for level again. I’m going to see if I can get access to the drain plug to avoid too much of a mess. Otherwise I’m just going to have to remove the bolts and let it leak out. Then I’m going to remove the bolts and spacers and install them in the new PPE pan.

Have you guys had good results with the Valvoline max life in the ZF transmission? Right now I have 7 quarts of the lifeguard 8 fluid plus three gallons of the Valvoline MaxLife (which I picked up yesterday).
I plan on using the Valvoline fluid my next fluid change as I’ll be out of the CPO powertrain warranty. I’ve heard good things about the Valvoline and it’s cheap.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I used new hex head bolts from Fastenal for my install as I have the black finish PPE pan. I cleaned the mounting holes with a tap and used a tiny amount of nickel antiseize on the bolts.
Would you happen to have a link for the new transmission bolts? I’ll probably change them the next time around. Thanks!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you happen to have a link for the new transmission bolts? I’ll probably change them the next time around. Thanks!
I do not have a link for them. I took an old bolt with me to the local store and the gentleman measured it and showed me what they had in stock. I could have purchased stainless steel but the guy behind the counter said it may not be the best choice as the transmission mounting is aluminum. I’m not up to speed on that kind of stuff so I went with their recommendation and used a bit of antisieze as they recommended. So far it’s held up well but I do not live in the rust belt.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good morning,

I got a set of socket adapters so I can use my 1/4” torque wrench on the transmission pan bolts. PPE says between 8 & 10 foot pounds. Once I get the new pan in and torqued. I will
tighten those three transmission mounting bolts. Is there a required torque spec on that?

I have an Amsoil brand bottle hand pump. I realized that it only fits the Amsoil bottles. So I cleaned out an empty Amsoil bottle and plan on using that to fill the transmission. I’m working under jackstands. Is there a better pressurized hand pump to fill
transmissions, differentials, etc? Something that can hold a gallon or more? Thanks

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good morning,

I got a set of socket adapters so I can use my 1/4” torque wrench on the transmission pan bolts. PPE says between 8 & 10 foot pounds. Once I get the new pan in and torqued. I will
tighten those three transmission mounting bolts. Is there a required torque spec on that?

I have an Amsoil brand bottle hand pump. I realized that it only fits the Amsoil bottles. So I cleaned out an empty Amsoil bottle and plan on using that to fill the transmission. I’m working under jackstands. Is there a better pressurized hand pump to fill
transmissions, differentials, etc? Something that can hold a gallon or more? Thanks
Home Depot Sprayer I use one of these garden sprayers but remove the wand and attach a foot or two of clear tubing, I think 5/16th fit mine. Works awesome for a one person job. Just did my differentials last night and used it on my transmission. Makes working around the hot exhaust pipe a lot better. 75-140 flows very slowly through it is the only downside.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just ordered something on Amazon that holds 3 L and has good reviews. Right now I just got about 4 1/2 quarts of the max life ATF into the new PPE pan. That’s what it started dripping out so I put the plug-in hand tight.

I’m getting ready to start it up and put it through the gear changes that we’re posted on that green photo instructions

I’m figuring it’s going to take at least another 2 quarts. I measured what came out and that was about 5 quarts because it was draining overnight

So I’m figuring with the new PPE pan that’s got to be at least 6 quarts and maybe more? How much more fluid are these things supposed to hold?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m figuring with the new PPE pan that’s got to be at least 6 quarts and maybe more? How much more fluid are these things supposed to hold?
I used 6 1/2 quarts with my PPE pan. I don’t technically have an 8HP70 Transmission as I have a V6 so it’s an 845RE don’t know if that means it holds less or more than an actual 8HP. It’s the Chrysler built version of the 8HP. Keep in mind that it was 6 1/2 quarts but that includes waste at the bottom of bottles that never made it into the transmission and the excess that runs back out.
Let us know how the Valvoline max life works out for you as I’m planning on using that next time.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I used 6 1/2 quarts with my PPE pan. I don’t technically have an 8HP70 Transmission as I have a V6 so it’s an 845RE don’t know if that means it holds less or more than an actual 8HP. It’s the Chrysler built version of the 8HP. Keep in mind that it was 6 1/2 quarts but that includes waste at the bottom of bottles that never made it into the transmission and the excess that runs back out.
Let us know how the Valvoline max life works out for you as I’m planning on using that next time.
Will do.

I’m actually down in Florida right now. When I turned the ignition to “run” to check the transmission temperature it was already at 86°F. I disabled the traction control and did the proscribed gear changes (on that green instructions photo). Then got back under the vehicle to top off the levels. I probably put a bit too much in because it started trickling out. I was watching the transmission temperature getting close to 120° At that point the trickle had diminished quite a bit. When I got to 122° I put the plug back in and tightened it

I’m waiting for the transmission to cool down. I may go through the gear changes again tonight. Then check the fluid level again. I still have it up on the rear jackstands.

I have one more question. Ideally I’d like to keep draining fluid from the new PPE drain plug. Then refilling it with fresh fluid again. How many times does it take to get almost new fluid throughout the transmission? Two times, three or more?

And can it be done while the vehicle is on the jackstands? Or does it require that the vehicle needs to be driven and then jacked up again, transmission leveled and then the process repeated again?

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful information. There’s a wealth of knowledge here!

I’ve got the new PPE transmission pan in and torqued to 110 inch pounds. I’ve got the fluid level correct. I’m going to drive it around tonight. Then jack up the rear wheels again 9”, drain more fluid and refill again. Then repeat a third time. Hopefully that will be enough to exchange out any remaining old transmission fluid.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful information. There’s a wealth of knowledge here!

I’ve got the new PPE transmission pan in and torqued to 110 inch pounds. I’ve got the fluid level correct. I’m going to drive it around tonight. Then jack up the rear wheels again 9”, drain more fluid and refill again. Then repeat a third time. Hopefully that will be enough to exchange out any remaining old transmission fluid.
The only experience I have with trying to get most of the old fluid out is with my daughters civic. The Honda tech told me that their standard DYI procedure is three consecutive drain and fills after driving it about 20-50 miles between drains. It worked as she has over 200k on it now. I totally agree that this site is invaluable for owner information. I’ve learned a great deal about my truck and vehicles in general from the members here. Good luck with you truck and glad it all worked out.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did about 25 miles this evening. I have it the rear end jacked up again. Tomorrow that 3 liter pump bottle will arrive. I got a couple more gallons of the MaxLife MV ATF today.

I will drain the pan and refill again. Then drive another 30 miles or so and repeat a couple more times.

By the way I left my transmission temperature reading on my digital display. It got up to 186 degrees at one point but most of the time it was in the 180° to 183° range. I’m assuming that’s normal operating temperature. Is that correct?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By the way I left my transmission temperature reading on my digital display. It got up to 186 degrees at one point but most of the time it was in the 180° to 183° range. I’m assuming that’s normal operating temperature. Is that correct?
IMHO that is what I’d expect your temps to be. I think you said you’re in FL, I’m in coastal VA and it’s been in the 90’s the past few days. My transmission temps are mid to high 170’s. I’d expect FL to be a little warmer so 180’s sounds about right. I’ve noticed slightly lower temps with the PPE pan. Not sure if that is because the heat dissipates faster with an aluminum pan or if the increased fluid capacity translates to slightly lower temps. Either way the PPE is a nice pan and affords a little more flexibility with filter replacement and durability. I’m interested in the Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the ZF. I have two college kids so cost savings matter. My one daughters Hyundai is Maxlife compatible as is my wife’s Escape. I’d love to be able to use one ATF in all the vehicles for simplicity and cost. Unfortunately the Honda is a DW1 Honda fluid only and at present the ZF uses the very expensive magic potion.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@HangmanNY, your temps are good. I did a run to get mine full hot as well, then let her cool overnight, and rechecked in the AM.

My full-hot trans temps are right about 190, so you should be good to go.

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that 3 drain and fills will get you around 90% fluid swap.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Depending on how ambitious you guys are,you can seperate the cooler hoses from the cooler by the rad,and blow out the cooler,using a good old syphon gun wash nozzle,stuck into a bottle of the fluid you want to use.When i replaced my 8 speed i flushed and back flushed the cooler,till i had new fluid coming out of it.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@HangmanNY, your temps are good. I did a run to get mine full hot as well, then let her cool overnight, and rechecked in the AM.

My full-hot trans temps are right about 190, so you should be good to go.

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that 3 drain and fills will get you around 90% fluid swap.
I just did a transmission drain first thing in the morning and then filled it again (according to those specifications instructions that were posted.)

I really like this new PPE pan. The fact that they moved the drain plug over is very good. I called the company a couple of days ago and was questioning why they had one magnet. He told me that the magnet that they use is extra strong.

The only thing I still have to be careful with is when I’m filling the transmission with a pump tube. I have gloves on and have to be careful to keep the fill tube away from the hot exhaust pipes. The trick about loosening the three transmission mount bolts made a huge difference in getting that new PPE pan in place.

When you say three drain and fills does that include the first fill or does that mean three more in addition to that?

Apparently ZF has approved the Valvoline Max Guard for their 8 & 9 speed transmissions.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If'n ya use good oil and filters, get rid of the oil heater (thermostat), and change at reasonable intervals, it's really overkill to crack & drain trans elements other than the sump (cooler lines, torque converter).

I changed @ 36k miles with MOPAR Group III ATF synthetic and removed the thermostat at the same time. Probably change @ 70k miles, this time with Red Line ATF.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93