Transmission won’t engage after fluid change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordZarkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did a transmission fluid change out on my 2004 ram 1500 four-wheel-drive. I also installed a new transmission pan that had a drain in it for this particular purpose. The truck has 162,000 miles on it. I added 6 quarts of transmission fluid, and started the truck. However after letting it sit and get warm now, when it’s put in gear it does nothing. The truck will not move forward or reverse. Do I have to cycle the ignition a certain number of times to reset the computer, or what has happened? I replaced both filters when I did the swap, and the transmission pan is a stock pan with the exception of having a drain.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just did a transmission fluid change out on my 2004 ram 1500 four-wheel-drive. I also installed a new transmission pan that had a drain in it for this particular purpose. The truck has 162,000 miles on it. I added 6 quarts of transmission fluid, and started the truck. However after letting it sit and get warm now, when it’s put in gear it does nothing. The truck will not move forward or reverse. Do I have to cycle the ignition a certain number of times to reset the computer, or what has happened? I replaced both filters when I did the swap, and the transmission pan is a stock pan with the exception of having a drain.
No, you do not have to cycle the ignition after installing a new transmission oil pan. I am betting that you either do not have enough fluid in the transmission or that your sump filter fell down. Did you install the new seal for the sump filter that you have to drive into the case?

Which sump filter did you install?

OP
OP
L

LordZarkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had both the can and the flat one. The new flat filter tube was about 1/8 of an inch short, and wouldn’t fit back into the orifice, so I drained and rinsed the old one. But even then it fit loosely. So that may be the problem? No check engine or other warning lights showing, either.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when you remove the old filter the little ring that goes around the tube (that holds the filter in place)will stay inside the hole, did you make sure it came out with filter? I usually have to dig them out. You might have also messed up that plastic tube getting it out and that could be why it didn’t fit tightly too.

OP
OP
L

LordZarkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill check it tomorrow when I drop the pan again. Glad I have the pan w/ a drain. I did pull out the ring, I'll look for distortion of the tube. My pan magnet only had a little fine metal powder stuck to it, which made me happy.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill check it tomorrow when I drop the pan again. Glad I have the pan w/ a drain. I did pull out the ring, I'll look for distortion of the tube. My pan magnet only had a little fine metal powder stuck to it, which made me happy.
That actually happened to me the first time I ever did a fluid/filter change on an automatic transmission. I did all that work got everything buttoned up and went to crank it up to move it off the ramps and it was dead in the water. Dropped the pan again and sure enough the filter was sitting in the pan. If I were you I would go ahead and get another filter since you're going back into it again.

OP
OP
L

LordZarkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry I didn't update this at the time. The kit had the wrong filter, I went to the local parts store and brought along the original. My kit had a filter neck 1/8" too long, and it wouldn't seat properly.