Turning off horn honking when locking truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signal 20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I just bought my first Dodge acouple weeks ago. Its a 2005 Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4. I got an awesome deal on it especially since it only has 37K miles, looks like it never saw a dirt road and already had a 2" HBS leveling kit and 33s on it.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew of a mod where you can turn off the honk when you lock the doors with the key fob? I work late hours and usually get home around 2-3am from work. I know I can just hit the lock button inside the truck then close the doors. But when I get home tired I have already forgotten acouple times and hit the button, which honked the horn, waking up my 2 kids, which then turned into the wife being mad at me at 3am lol.

If there is a simple fix that someone knows that would be great. Never hurts to ask :cheers:

RamSport13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are the steps that the owners manual have to disable the horn.

1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.
2. Fasten your seat belt (fastening the seat belt will cancel
any chiming that may confuse you during this programming
procedure).
3. Place the key into the ignition.
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position ( Do not start the
engine ).
5. Press and hold the LOCK button on a programmed
(i.e. functional) key fob.
6. Continue to hold the LOCK button, wait at least 4
seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds, then press and
hold the UNLOCK button.
7. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons.
8. Turn the ignition to the OFF position or wait 60
seconds.
9. Test the horn chirp feature by pressing the LOCK
button on the key fob with the ignition in the OFF
position, or the key removed.
10. To reactivate this feature, repeat the above steps.

Hope this helps.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will have to do this too.... Lets see some pics of the truck.

I just got my 04 2500 with 51k miles on it and I thought that was impressive. 37 is awesome!!

OP
OP
S

Signal 20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It worked perfectly and the best part it was easy to do. Thanks again!

little squirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 1500 4x4
Engine
dang, I tried this multiple times with no luck. I'm trying to press and hold the buttons on the key that's in the ignition....is this correct or do I have one in the ignition and use my second to do the buttons? I have a 08 1500, thanks

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are the steps that the owners manual have to disable the horn.

1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.
2. Fasten your seat belt (fastening the seat belt will cancel
any chiming that may confuse you during this programming
procedure).
3. Place the key into the ignition.
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position ( Do not start the
engine ).
5. Press and hold the LOCK button on a programmed
(i.e. functional) key fob.
6. Continue to hold the LOCK button, wait at least 4
seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds, then press and
hold the UNLOCK button.
7. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons.
8. Turn the ignition to the OFF position or wait 60
seconds.
9. Test the horn chirp feature by pressing the LOCK
button on the key fob with the ignition in the OFF
position, or the key removed.
10. To reactivate this feature, repeat the above steps.

Hope this helps.

NECROTHREAD SAVES THE DAY!!!!

I swear I did a search on this forum and could not find this info. Then I did a google search and this thread popped up from here. It is the 3rd time in history I have looked for this info.

I followed like 5 other tutorials and it did not work. Then I followed this one... it is identical to another one I tried EXCEPT FOR the part where you wait a minute before trying it out. Close to the end of the minute you hear a little click like the lock is actuating again. Then press... no freakin stupid out of place crowd head turning baby waking neighbor bugging seizure starting horn!

Thank you
Thank you
My ADHD thanks you.
Jim

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just tried this a few times on my 06 2500 and had no luck. Is there a different procedure for my rig?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just turned it off in my EVIC lol
e5f7d5c0dedf8dc8734f28861e0b935d.jpg

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the setting in the EVIC as well.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks @HemiLonestar , @Badger 13 I’ll look into that. Worst case I’ll have to dig out the Owners Manual....... as soon as I remember where I put it........?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I wish they would outlaw those GD horn functions. Pull into a busy store parking lot and hear horns honking all over the place. Too lazy to hit the lock button on the door? I turned off that feature on all my vehicles as soon as I got them home from the dealer.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an SLT so my EVIC isn’t that fancy....lol! Mine only shows temp, mpg, odo, and a timer of sorts.(??)

I did find my manual and the steps in there are the same as posted. Step 10 (which isn’t posted) says

“If a chime is not heard, program mode was cancelled before the feature could be changed. If necessary, repeat the above procedure.”

I tried 4 or 5 times. Also trying the procedure that unlocks all the doors with one button push. I’ve held the buttons for over a minute and never get a chime. Is there a chance the batteries in my FOB are too weak? That’s really the only thing I can think of for why it won’t go in/ complete the program mode.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish they would outlaw those GD horn functions. Pull into a busy store parking lot and hear horns honking all over the place. Too lazy to hit the lock button on the door? I turned off that feature on all my vehicles as soon as I got them home from the dealer.

I agree! I can hear my locks locking. I don’t need to hear a horn to inform me that I heard my locks lock. Lol!

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Scratch the FOB battery question. I replaced it and it still doesn’t work.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an SLT so my EVIC isn’t that fancy....lol! Mine only shows temp, mpg, odo, and a timer of sorts.(??)

I did find my manual and the steps in there are the same as posted. Step 10 (which isn’t posted) says

“If a chime is not heard, program mode was cancelled before the feature could be changed. If necessary, repeat the above procedure.”

I tried 4 or 5 times. Also trying the procedure that unlocks all the doors with one button push. I’ve held the buttons for over a minute and never get a chime. Is there a chance the batteries in my FOB are too weak? That’s really the only thing I can think of for why it won’t go in/ complete the program mode.
So do I, I just upgraded lol...Amazon still carries them, though not many are left.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I got ya Mr Fancypants :happy175:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@MikeG71 do you know anyone out there with a Starscan or similar? You can go into customer options menu and change it easily there (several things in fact).

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Our previous Jeep Wrangler didn't have the fancy EVIC system in it, but I was able to change most of the settings by following instructions that were listed here and other places. The only thing that I could not change was the headlights coming on with the remote door unlock. Dealer told me that it could not be changed which I thought was BS. After relocating, had the Jeep in for a recall at a different Jeep/Dodge dealer and asked them if they could reprogram that the headlights would not come on when using the remote to unlock the doors. It cost me a little for their time, but they did it with no problems. The next Wrangler we got the EVIC, and it was so much nicer to program what you did or didn't want, just like my truck. I still prefer the "old" ways before everything got so high tech. Good luck with the programming.