Uconnect screen delamination issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveb63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2019 this past July. My screen is delaminating, also. No issues with how it functions, yet.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Well just got back from the dealership for them to "diagnose" my delaminating 8.4 unconnect screen ...

I got there they said pull the truck up so it can get checked in, I pull up kid walks up to my truck and says "I need you to step out of your truck" ...WTF! are you a cop? ... lol...

I told him, all you have to do is take a look at how my screen is acting up, I can't use it to do anything, it's just going crazy by itself, wanting to switch stations, going from ac/heater to pairing a device and everything in between, look at the screen you can clearly see it delaminated, glue is coming out of the bottom.

He then says, I still need to get in there , so I told him "this is the 2nd time, watch how you talk to me kid" he apologizes, I step out of my truck and he goes to connect a scanner to my OBD2 port, I said "WOAH WOAH! what are you doing?" ...

he says ... "I am checking your truck in and need to scan for codes" ....

im like "Why do you need to scan for codes, why do you even have to connect to my OBD2, my radio delaminating has nothing to do with the OBD2 port" ....

he says "this is how we check vehicles in and I "need" to scan for codes"

I say "no you don't, all you have to do is look at the screen to see how it's delaminating and how I can't even press anything on the screen, I can't switch my ac/heater on or off, switch radio stations, access anything in the radio settings ... that's all you have to confirm, that my radio is indeed delaminating and not functioning" ..

The kid literally walks away while saying "ok, well see, I'll get someone to fix this" ...

A couple minutes later he comes out with some other guy following him ..

Other guy "Hey what seems to be the problem"

I said "look man I am sorry but I am not going to allow you guys to take my truck into your service bay or connect anything to the OBD2 port, the radio delaminating has nothing to do with any codes or the OBD2 port, I just need you guys to confirm that it's delaminating and it's not functioning at all" ...

he asked if he could take a look and I told him of course ... he gets in my truck looks at it and says "damn this thing is just moving all over by itself" lol

The first kid walks away for a few minutes and while he is away I am talking to this guy who finally introduces himself as the shop foreman, he asked me why I didn't allow the kid to scan for codes or to take my truck into their shop bay and I told him because the last dealerships have done damage to my truck from scratching my wheels to stealing my engine bay cover, scratching my interior radio bezel, staining my driver side seat, leaving grease all over my steering wheel, I can go on an on about all the bs I have gone through with the other dealerships, so that is why I wanted to present while you guys "diagnosed" the radio screen...

He laughed and then said "I can understand and relate man" ... then I asked him "have you seen these screens delaminating?"

He says, "yes, my wifes challenger is begining to delaminate and it's a 2019, we just saw some brand new 2021 and 22 Rams with the same issue, it's happening left and right" ...

So I say "then you know what is going on then, it sucks man because this is being reported on forums all over and nothing is being done, customers are having to go jump through hoops to even get this looked at"

We talked a bit more about all the bs my original dealership has put me through, how they could of had this fixed a long time ago but they said they didn't even have radios in stock nationwide, then I finally get a hold of someone and they said my warranty is up so nothing we can do.

How I called Uconnect directly and finally I get assigned a case manager who has been doing great so far in getting my radio looked at ..

After about 5 minutes the kid comes out with an invoice, he says to me that he has noted that the screen is indeed delaminating, not functioning and that it was not scanned for any codes at the customer's request ... lol ..

There was absolutely no reason for a scanner to be hooked up to my truck for codes, the radio delaminating doesn't cause any codes, I have checked myself with ALFAOBD and a full scanner .... The last time they hooked up their "scanner" to my truck, they reset all my ALFAOBD settings I had changed because of a electrical system wiring recall where they needed to supposedly reflash the truck ... never even mentioned it to me when they did it and that is when they added the truck going into park when in reverse lol .. my truck didn't have it when I first bought it ...

They then did another reflash when they did the first oil change and again reset my ALFAOBD custom settings and screwed up the sound of the radio ....

I wanted to be present while they "diagnosed" the radio, I wanted them to admit that the radio was delmaniting and not functioning, I didn't want them to say they couldn't replicate the problem lol ... seems to always be that they can't replicate anything ... The shop manager "Mark" was super cool unlike the kid at the beginning

Anyways, below is the invoice of them confirming the radio is "F u B a R" and not functioning, now I have to wait for my case manager and hopefully they replace the radio or screen for free which is what my case manager was saying usually happens ...

Don't let them do whatever they want you guys, it's our vehicles, know how things work, don't be afraid to say no you are not doing this or that, this issue was the radio screen delaminating and not something that will cause any error codes so no reason to hook up a scanner lol ....

20221116_084344.jpg

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well just got back from the dealership for them to "diagnose" my delaminating 8.4 unconnect screen ...

I got there they said pull the truck up so it can get checked in, I pull up kid walks up to my truck and says "I need you to step out of your truck" ...WTF! are you a cop? ... lol...

I told him, all you have to do is take a look at how my screen is acting up, I can't use it to do anything, it's just going crazy by itself, wanting to switch stations, going from ac/heater to pairing a device and everything in between, look at the screen you can clearly see it delaminated, glue is coming out of the bottom.

He then says, I still need to get in there , so I told him "this is the 2nd time, watch how you talk to me kid" he apologizes, I step out of my truck and he goes to connect a scanner to my OBD2 port, I said "WOAH WOAH! what are you doing?" ...

he says ... "I am checking your truck in and need to scan for codes" ....

im like "Why do you need to scan for codes, why do you even have to connect to my OBD2, my radio delaminating has nothing to do with the OBD2 port" ....

he says "this is how we check vehicles in and I "need" to scan for codes"

I say "no you don't, all you have to do is look at the screen to see how it's delaminating and how I can't even press anything on the screen, I can't switch my ac/heater on or off, switch radio stations, access anything in the radio settings ... that's all you have to confirm, that my radio is indeed delaminating and not functioning" ..

The kid literally walks away while saying "ok, well see, I'll get someone to fix this" ...

A couple minutes later he comes out with some other guy following him ..

Other guy "Hey what seems to be the problem"

I said "look man I am sorry but I am not going to allow you guys to take my truck into your service bay or connect anything to the OBD2 port, the radio delaminating has nothing to do with any codes or the OBD2 port, I just need you guys to confirm that it's delaminating and it's not functioning at all" ...

he asked if he could take a look and I told him of course ... he gets in my truck looks at it and says "damn this thing is just moving all over by itself" lol

The first kid walks away for a few minutes and while he is away I am talking to this guy who finally introduces himself as the shop foreman, he asked me why I didn't allow the kid to scan for codes or to take my truck into their shop bay and I told him because the last dealerships have done damage to my truck from scratching my wheels to stealing my engine bay cover, scratching my interior radio bezel, staining my driver side seat, leaving grease all over my steering wheel, I can go on an on about all the bs I have gone through with the other dealerships, so that is why I wanted to present while you guys "diagnosed" the radio screen...

He laughed and then said "I can understand and relate man" ... then I asked him "have you seen these screens delaminating?"

He says, "yes, my wifes challenger is begining to delaminate and it's a 2019, we just saw some brand new 2021 and 22 Rams with the same issue, it's happening left and right" ...

So I say "then you know what is going on then, it sucks man because this is being reported on forums all over and nothing is being done, customers are having to go jump through hoops to even get this looked at"

We talked a bit more about all the bs my original dealership has put me through, how they could of had this fixed a long time ago but they said they didn't even have radios in stock nationwide, then I finally get a hold of someone and they said my warranty is up so nothing we can do.

How I called Uconnect directly and finally I get assigned a case manager who has been doing great so far in getting my radio looked at ..

After about 5 minutes the kid comes out with an invoice, he says to me that he has noted that the screen is indeed delaminating, not functioning and that it was not scanned for any codes at the customer's request ... lol ..

There was absolutely no reason for a scanner to be hooked up to my truck for codes, the radio delaminating doesn't cause any codes, I have checked myself with ALFAOBD and a full scanner .... The last time they hooked up their "scanner" to my truck, they reset all my ALFAOBD settings I had changed because of a electrical system wiring recall where they needed to supposedly reflash the truck ... never even mentioned it to me when they did it and that is when they added the truck going into park when in reverse lol .. my truck didn't have it when I first bought it ...

They then did another reflash when they did the first oil change and again reset my ALFAOBD custom settings and screwed up the sound of the radio ....

I wanted to be present while they "diagnosed" the radio, I wanted them to admit that the radio was delmaniting and not functioning, I didn't want them to say they couldn't replicate the problem lol ... seems to always be that they can't replicate anything ... The shop manager "Mark" was super cool unlike the kid at the beginning

Anyways, below is the invoice of them confirming the radio is "F u B a R" and not functioning, now I have to wait for my case manager and hopefully they replace the radio or screen for free which is what my case manager was saying usually happens ...

Don't let them do whatever they want you guys, it's our vehicles, know how things work, don't be afraid to say no you are not doing this or that, this issue was the radio screen delaminating and not something that will cause any error codes so no reason to hook up a scanner lol ....

View attachment 507014

Lmao, boy you told them….

RamCares, deny it and send a bill for diagnostics.

Roonie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 big horn. My screen started the delam about at year 2. That was the only problem for a while. Then it occasionally will not come on until I am several miles down the road. In the last month, it has started randomly switching over to Sirius radio (which I do not have a subscription). It has only happened sporadically to date but guessing I am going to be replacing this thing before long. How much does this cost to he replaced? Is the dealership the only place that can do this? Just curious if there is such a thing as an aftermarket replacement for the Uconnect and if they are any better? With interest rates and prices on vehicles right now, I am going to be in this truck for a LONG time.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 big horn. My screen started the delam about at year 2. That was the only problem for a while. Then it occasionally will not come on until I am several miles down the road. In the last month, it has started randomly switching over to Sirius radio (which I do not have a subscription). It has only happened sporadically to date but guessing I am going to be replacing this thing before long. How much does this cost to he replaced? Is the dealership the only place that can do this? Just curious if there is such a thing as an aftermarket replacement for the Uconnect and if they are any better? With interest rates and prices on vehicles right now, I am going to be in this truck for a LONG time.
You can buy a new screen and swap it, it’s roughly $100 on Amazon. You can get an aftermarket head unit, couple hundred.

TwistedTechie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
This thread is a little old but I thought I'd add that it is possible to change out the digitizer yourself and save a few bucks, I did it for my 2018 Big Horn. It's been over a year since I bought the digitizer on eBay and when I clicked on the listing the price has went up significantly. Anyway, it's fairly easy to remove the old digitizer, just make sure you have plenty of rubbing alcohol and wipes to clean the mess the old one leaves on the screen. There's also some YouTube videos that will give you an idea what is involved. It's been working fine since the swap other than the normal uConnect glitches.

image_2023-01-11_085707647.png

Bmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Anyone have a fix for the "ghost touch" issue. My screen does this a lot and is very irritating.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anyone have a fix for the "ghost touch" issue. My screen does this a lot and is very irritating.
Screen replacement. If it's not constantly doing it yet you may be able to improve the cooling of the radio and it "might" fix it.

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's a major issue with all FCA 2018 Vehicles, you should be able to found Ram to replace the screen.
I had mine replaced under warranty even though it was out of warranty, contact Ram Customer Service and ask Jesus said ask and you will receive.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
My 8.4 was delaminating and I reached out to RamCares, they contacted Uconnect who opened a case for me. Uconnect then called me within a day and worked with my dealer to have it replaced at no cost. It was done a couple of weeks ago and the new one is working great :)

I am still working on the ABS/HCU issue as my ABS and traction control lights are on. The dealer told me they tried to order the HCU, but the order was not accepted and they are not even permitted to submit another order until 3/24/2023. I sent a note to RamCares to see if they could get the part expedited.

RamCares has always been very helpful for me, I'm not sure why others are experiencing issues. They expedited a drag link replacement order for that recall. They have expedited the 8.4 order and replacement. I'm hoping they can get the ABS HCU expedited. I hope those of you that still have issues can get them resolved :confused:

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 8.4 was delaminating and I reached out to RamCares, they contacted Uconnect who opened a case for me. Uconnect then called me within a day and worked with my dealer to have it replaced at no cost. It was done a couple of weeks ago and the new one is working great :)

I am still working on the ABS/HCU issue as my ABS and traction control lights are on. The dealer told me they tried to order the HCU, but the order was not accepted and they are not even permitted to submit another order until 3/24/2023. I sent a note to RamCares to see if they could get the part expedited.

RamCares has always been very helpful for me, I'm not sure why others are experiencing issues. They expedited a drag link replacement order for that recall. They have expedited the 8.4 order and replacement. I'm hoping they can get the ABS HCU expedited. I hope those of you that still have issues can get them resolved :confused:

I've got screen delamination on my 2018 RAM 1500 UConnect 8.4 and it's starting to have ghosting issues now. What's the easiest way to contact @RamCares these days? Are they still on this forum? If so, hopefully they will reach out to me for this issue. I'm obviously outside of the std manufacturer's warranty period now.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've got screen delamination on my 2018 RAM 1500 UConnect 8.4 and it's starting to have ghosting issues now. What's the easiest way to contact @RamCares these days? Are they still on this forum? If so, hopefully they will reach out to me for this issue. I'm obviously outside of the std manufacturer's warranty period now.
What you just posted usually does the trick but you can also PM @RamCares directly.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi there, HitchHiker,

Feel welcome to PM us and we're happy to check this out for you.

Steph
Ram Cares

LittleEagle22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram is replacing mine but the dealer wants me to stop by to get codes. They tried to run this before Ram agreed to cover it. Would have been over $100 I would have had to pay so I didn’t do it then. Didn’t see how it was necessary.
Did anyone have to take it in for a scan to get the radio codes before they would order?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ram is replacing mine but the dealer wants me to stop by to get codes. They tried to run this before Ram agreed to cover it. Would have been over $100 I would have had to pay so I didn’t do it then. Didn’t see how it was necessary.
Did anyone have to take it in for a scan to get the radio codes before they would order?
There are no trouble codes for this mechanical failure. Unless they are referring to part numbers for the radio. But they can pull that from your VIN. I could be wrong, but it sounds like they want billable time to me...

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like BS to me. All they need to do is look at the radio and confirm it's delaminating and write it up that way. I had mine replaced and discussed the process in several threads. Not once did anyone mention codes to me.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced mine, after taking it to a dealer, that on the phone confirmed I needed to bring it in, and it would be covered by RAM (I told her point blank I was out of warranty.) The on site tech said basically "Lol, nope. You're screwed, it's $1,300, out of pocket, and backordered."

I bought the screen off fleabay for like $290, for an SL(03) NiB.

LittleEagle22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I emailed my Ram Cares person, twice, asking about having to take it in for that and she hasn’t responded.

It’s a 3 hour round trip!

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes @RamCares doesn't respond right away. Have patience and it'll work out for you. Hopefully another RamCares individual will see your post and can help push this to a resolution. Good luck.