Using Homelink buttons, not on garage doors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey,

ive heard a couple guys using the homelink buttons to turn on light bars and such... how the heck do you do that?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You have to use AlphaOBD to change settings in the BCM to do it. I read it somewhere but don’t remember how it was done. If you’re going to use those buttons for something else other than garage doors, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS 100% and don’t deviate from them!!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope......get a remote operated relay and sync remote to homelink.
I ran that setup for 8-10 months waaaay b4 obd came out. Works great!!

Screenshot_20191130-203436_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20191130-203456_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey,

ive heard a couple guys using the homelink buttons to turn on light bars and such... how the heck do you do that?

Oh, and I installed the relay under the dash because I already had wiring run to the cab but it would work just fine under hood in a secure/waterproof area

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Oh, and I installed the relay under the dash because I already had wiring run to the cab but it would work just fine under hood in a secure/waterproof area

ITS YOU! Haha i was reading something on FB and you replied this lol. I’m new to the homelink thing. I’m guessing you put the Homelink in pairing mode and the Relay in a pairing mode and they connect to eachother??

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The relay there is nothing to do to it. You use the remote and go thru the process in owners manual of holding the appropriate button down on the remote AND the homelink.
They are set so homelink is push button 1 once is on, push again its off. The relay is really kinda cool and works well, I just needed more switchs so swapped to 4th gen Ram aftermarket auxiliary switchs

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ITS YOU! Haha i was reading something on FB and you replied this lol. I’m new to the homelink thing. I’m guessing you put the Homelink in pairing mode and the Relay in a pairing mode and they connect to eachother??

See above post, I 4got to hit quote...lol

dustin68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Melife relay, and the instructions are just no good. Does anyone have a video or simple set of instructions? i understand running power to the relay itself, its more so about running from the relay to the light. Each relay has 3 output slots and i dont quite know what to do about connecting the lights to there.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any wireless relay running 433MHz will work with the homelink.

Each relay has 3 output slots and i dont quite know what to do about connecting the lights to there.

Sounds like a multi-channel relay, if you want to send me a PM so we're not hijacking his thread, I might be able to assist you.

LOL Just realized how OLD this thread is. @dustin68 - you can still PM me if you want/need too :)

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Any wireless relay running 433MHz will work with the homelink.

Sounds like a multi-channel relay, if you want to send me a PM so we're not hijacking his thread, I might be able to assist you.

LOL Just realized how OLD this thread is. @dustin68 - you can still PM me if you want/need too :)

I hooked up a remote relay under the hood so I didn't have to run wires thru firewall and all over. "Thought" I paired the remote to homelink button II. Sorta kinda tried to work. Was able to turn lights on once but not off, then nothing at all. Linked it to switch III, same thing. Moved the relay onto the firewall thinking the engine block may be interfering with signal but not any better?

Can't figure out how to try and relearn the remote?

Might just ire dash switches to the relay remote and go that way?? The set up is a simple once on/once off set up too
https://www.amazon.com/eMylo-Channe...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The relearn would be the same procedure as the 1st learn.

That relay appears to have three different functions. You're sure you have it set to the "latched" function, yes?

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
The relearn would be the same procedure as the 1st learn.

That relay appears to have three different functions. You're sure you have it set to the "latched" function, yes?
yes It works fine using the hand remote. Default was 1 click latches always on, next click releases and opens the relay (lights off)

Trying to remember since notes are in garage but the learn feature was just press/hold until "learning" was displayed on dash, continue holding it
and then press relay remote and release them both? I tried to repeat on switch II but couldn't get the "learning" message again so I went to III to see if new relay location worked. On SW III i got learning message but same results? I think holding I & III resets the entire console? But my garage function works fine so didn't want to mess with that lol