V6 or hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wareagle32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
V6 or hemi. Don’t tow a trailer but everyone and then. Mainly looking for daily driver with 4 wheel drive and good fuel mileage

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If fuel mileage is your number 1 requirement go with the V6 or even the diesel. I suggest you test drive the hemi and the V6 if you already haven't then make a decision.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The New Hemi Engines are just 1 sexy but with the eco enabled you can get awesome gas mileage. In the city I get only 250 or so a tank but Highway no kidding shoots over 470 a tank. All I can say it is sometimes better have more power available then need it and not have it. I love my Truck and this is coming from a GMC Terrain i-4 getting 30+ miles a gallon regardless of city/highway lol. Plus you can always get the Hemi and buy a SuperChips Tuner or whatever brand and cycle it down for eco mode and probably get way better gas mileage then I do. You just sacrifice the power of course. Again, it would be there if you needed it! Good luck!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi, Hemi, Hemi

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll chime in from the other side. I had a Hemi 4x2 RCSB for over 5 years and loved it. Problem was I never felt it ran great on reg. gas so I was running mid-grade or premium most of the time. Mileage for 40K averaged below 16mpg(hand figured every tank). This summer I made the jump to a 4x4 Laramie CC with the Pentastar. I could't be happier. Having both a small utility trailer and a 14x7 cargo trailer, I still get the same mileage towing, but get 20+(hand figured) since I bought it. Do I miss the "Hemi-pep?" Sometimes, but not having to pay a premium for fuel, hauling 5/6 people and having 4-wheel drive while still getting 20+ average for the first 2000 miles is OK by me. For those that want a Hemi I understand, but I am one that is totally happy with my choice. Good luck whatever you decide. Make sure you drive both and crunch the numbers. Check out Fuelly on the Net and see some comparisons between the 5.7 & the 3.6.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Pentastar is an awesome engine, but I chose the hemi for the fun factor.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Hemi, and wish I could have afforded the V6. For my use, it would have been a better choice. As it is, I spend way too much time and effort trying to keep the truck in Fuel Saver mode. testing a PC in Eco mode at the moment to see if that helps.

Ramjet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the Hemi because, dude....It's a Hemi!

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I bought the V6. I get about 550 miles to a tank. The only thing I pull is my 17' bass boat. It has no issues.

Just wish I would have bought the 4x4 model.

OP
OP
Wareagle32

Wareagle32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 hemi crew cab now. But I drive a v6 Buick to work. Looking to possibly just have 1 vehicle for me. Get tired of putting gas in 2 vehicles and moving vehicles in my driveway. I hear a lot about these v6s how good they are. I don’t tow anything. It’s just hard to picture a full-size truck with a v6 being any good. But if it’s really good I mite buy one. Thoughts?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Hemi....have to think of resale someday possibly too

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I got the 4x4 hemi for the truck but I also got an avenger with the 3.6 pentastar. the 3.6 is an awesome lil engine for the avenger, it is quick and powerful. With that said it would feel sluggish and in no way fuel efficient on the truck. on the avenger I get decent highway 27 mpg but horrible on streets 18 mpg. probably not as bad as my truck but when you factor in the size/weight difference there is no way it can be more fuel efficient especially while on 4wd. To put it in perspective On my brother's caravan the 3.6 only netted him about 21mpg on the highway... only way I can see these folks getting g the MPG they claim is if they are testing it going down hill and eventually flying off a cliff.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think the difference is enough to make the v6 worth it. I planned on buying the v6 originally but knowing I'd want bigger tires and to lift later it would be a horrible idea. I test drove both, and while v6 does have decent power I only got 1 mpg better on average on my test drives. My Hemi gets better mileage than my v6 06 Dakota did.

I took my Hemi on a trip recently and got 21mpg at 80mph on the freeway. On the high way section before the interstate I reset the meter and drove about 60 miles, when I pulled in for gas I was at 28mpg which was easily the highest I've seen it over that far of a distance. It was a mix of some small hills, seemed mostly flat, but I'm guess it was slightly down most of the way to get that though.

My last truck was an 06 silverado 5.3 with a lift. It was lucky to get 14 mpg at best and got between 12-14 whether city or highway. So to me 16-20+ is amazing for a truck.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I have a 2015 hemi crew cab now. But I drive a v6 Buick to work. Looking to possibly just have 1 vehicle for me. Get tired of putting gas in 2 vehicles and moving vehicles in my driveway. I hear a lot about these v6s how good they are. I don’t tow anything. It’s just hard to picture a full-size truck with a v6 being any good. But if it’s really good I mite buy one. Thoughts?

I was in a similar position you are now in. I had two 6 cylinder vehicles. I hated the "driveway shuffle!" One was a 2006 cadillac sts and a supercharged Bonneville ssei. The caddy was my daily driver and I used the Bonneville as a work vehicle when needed as it had a trailer hitch to tow a 5 x 8 trailer. I got rid of both of them and got the 2016 -1500 Laramie crew cab with the 6 cylinder Pentastar. There is also a 6 cylinder 3.0 diesel. When you do the math, unless you are driving 40k miles a year, the deisel wasn't worth the initial additional cost and ongoing maintenance costs.

I am more than pleased with my truck's comfort, power and economy. No it's not a Hemi but I don't need that ball busing power, towing capacity and acceleration off the line. Never do I feel it is under powered. On the highway i get 22-23.5 mpg all day long. Combination (which varies depending on ratio of highwy/city) I get 16-19 mpg, all day long. When I first got it, I played a game with the truck to see how poor gas mileage I could get. Using winter blend, for a week I drove as inefficiently as i possibly could. Jack rabbit starts, very little coasting to a stop, etc. If I remember, I got it down to 14.5 mpg.

The guys who drive hemi's will, of course, swear by them. The guys who drive Pentastars, of course, will swear by them. Test drive the Pentastar engine and give it a work-out! Whatever decision you go with will be the correct decision! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, I got the 4x4 hemi for the truck but I also got an avenger with the 3.6 pentastar. the 3.6 is an awesome lil engine for the avenger, it is quick and powerful. With that said it would feel sluggish and in no way fuel efficient on the truck. on the avenger I get decent highway 27 mpg but horrible on streets 18 mpg. probably not as bad as my truck but when you factor in the size/weight difference there is no way it can be more fuel efficient especially while on 4wd. To put it in perspective On my brother's caravan the 3.6 only netted him about 21mpg on the highway... only way I can see these folks getting g the MPG they claim is if they are testing it going down hill and eventually flying off a cliff.

It all comes down to what you want and how you drive. I have a friend with a QC Hemi who gets at best 14+. With my CC 4x4 Laramie, I'm averaging 20+ since I drove off the dealer's lot. My friend has a heavy foot while I try my best to squeeze as much as possible out of each gallon. The trip/mpg evil is not as accurate as hand figuring each tank from my experience.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i had a 2014 Hemi rcsb with the 8spd and got about 21-22 mpg in the truck with a Hwy/Cty driving, i have a 2013 rcsb 3.6l with the 8spd and i get 24-25mpg all day long and it gets higher on straight Hwy driving, that being said its only a couple miles per gallon, when it comes down to it, id buy a hemi just because its a hemi lol, the cant beat the sound of it, but the V6 has not left me wanting more in any way, it has plenty of power, alot of pep in it, and getting 24+ mpg out of a full size truck is pretty damn good too, i bought my 4th gen to be my work truck, i dont tow with it so i have not one complaint about it, if i was going to be towing on any kind of regular basis i would get a hemi but just for daily driving, you wont be unhappy with a v6....

ill add that my 3.6 has almost 160k on it and still gets great mileage and runs perfectly

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
It all comes down to what you want and how you drive. I have a friend with a QC Hemi who gets at best 14+. With my CC 4x4 Laramie, I'm averaging 20+ since I drove off the dealer's lot. My friend has a heavy foot while I try my best to squeeze as much as possible out of each gallon. The trip/mpg evil is not as accurate as hand figuring each tank from my experience.

^^^ this right here is all there is to say about it ^^^

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first Ram was an 09 4x4 with the 4.7. I tried out one of the V6 Rams when they came out in '13 (I think), and honestly it felt the same. But it also had the 8spd vs the 5sp in my 09. I found one V6 in my price range, but not only was it a stripped model, but it had a few other minor issues, and the seller wasn't willing to deal. So I have the 09 with the Hemi and lots of gadgets. If I had it to do over...

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

We have a Durango with the 3.6 in it & it has a lot of power. It wouldn't be as heavy as a 1500 but sure it weighs 500-1,000 more than the Avenger. It is all wheel drive & I have gotten as good as 28mpg on the highway & get 20-22mpg driving around town. It is stock except for a CAI & a performance chip.