Victim of leak 3rd brake light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it downpours here about 3 inches in an hour a d went to truck and head liner rear driver side wet.
Right under the antenna. Now would this be 3rd brake light or antenna? Hoping 3rd break light as I have the dang me stuff on order suppose to be here end of week..too bad it didnt come sooner if it is the brake light. I took the light out and didnt see any water in the whole at all not even a drip but the gasket was all damp.

Hopefully photo works I'm doing this on phone.6dce6fe41bb4bf649deb104f1e35dbfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
My money says it's the 3rd brake light.

Easy fix, just takes a little patience and a beer or two.

Good luck!

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make or buy a new gasket.

Oem will have adhesive on both sides. Their attempt to correct a design issue.

Dozens of YouTubers make some shotty ones that might work. Many use closed cell foam. I looked at all kinds of closed cell, but all absorb water. Oem foam does not. Hard to explain.

I went with a homemade one and so far so good. I do have a Detroit Muscle gasket on standby. Its a bit thin so im in no hurry to swap them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Dozens of YouTubers make some shotty ones that might work. Many use closed cell foam. I looked at all kinds of closed cell, but all absorb water. Oem foam does not. Hard to explain.

I went with a homemade one and so far so good. I do have a Detroit Muscle gasket on standby. Its a bit thin so im in no hurry to swap them.

I purchased the md weather strip stuff that others were said they used. I'm thinking I maY drive to dealer tomorrow and buy a gasket instead if this dang rain keeps happening. Another 20mm in 30 minutes just happened and there calling for another down poor tomorrow.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the dealer gasket thicker then the original one that's there? Or just Sticky on both sides?

Last edited:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think people are saying they dont sell just a gasket..u have buy a whole new light.I cant confirm.

ebay is loaded with double stickies, but so hard to trust.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good suggestions to remove the staining? Unfortunately a bunch of car wash soap came through on mine so I've got a blue edge to it. Looks pretty terrible.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I discovered this (3rd brake light) leak on my 2017 Ram 1500 in 2018, it was raining non-stop and I couldn't fix it for a few days. I applied blue painter's tape around the gaps on the outside of the 3rd brake light as a temporary fix. That works.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Goof off, wd40, car polish.....many more.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I bought the Gasket from Detroit as a stand by but i used this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1QHA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ yes that is the same stuff in post above as well, one time it's fixed for good.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is advice from an old man engineer/shade tree mechanic, take it as you wish.

Siliconeing something to fix a leak causes more problems. There are times and places for silicone, but this isn't one.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use the @Burla method linked above, I did mine as a preventative measure before mine leaked and after 3 years it's still holding.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is advice from an old man engineer/shade tree mechanic, take it as you wish.

Siliconeing something to fix a leak causes more problems. There are times and places for silicone, but this isn't one.

Absolutely agree. Should you ever need body work done where silicone adhesive was used, it's about impossible to remove all the silicone adhesive and if you don't get it all off, you can't do body/paint work in that area.. Or so I've been told.

Some schmuck used a white latex type calk around the 3rd BL on my BLACK 2017 Ram 1500 express. That was fun.