Video - Camshaft/Lifter failure explained

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi

I usually don’t watch videos this long , but I thought this was a pretty detailed explanation

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know the mods are moving this to garage section, but I hope they let this one stay in engine and performance section. Important info here. I think a lot of guys appreciate this video's explanation of our lifter design.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I think it's a very well and explained video. I'm tempted to have my wife watch it (she would rather watch paint dry) so she can see why I won't idle my truck. She says she understands, but I think deep down she thinks I'm full of it. She has never once thought twice about idling a vehicle. I know I'm wearing on her, but this video shows it.

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Makes alot of sense. Anyone with half a mechanical brain can see how this **** poor design could be a problem. I think FCA's marketing department had more say in the design of the hemi then engineering did. The old 318/360 family didn't have this problem. These new V8's with the sealed intake valley is most of the problem. No oil dripping on the cam lobes. The heads being what they are because "ITS A HEMI"! Sort of...... marketing strikes again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
since this is across generations, Smiley made this a sticky in garage section.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so what is the answer to try to prolong the engine life if any may be using oil with hi molly to lubricate the cam so the small amount of oil that gets to the cam will stick to the cam and lifters and of course do not idle the engine my 2 cents

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The explanation in the vid makes sense to me. Back in '83, when Honda came out with their V4 motorcycle engines, they had (double overhead) cam wipe out problems due to lack of oil. A few guys went so far as to run an external oil line to the heads. Honda eventually cured the problem with design modifications.

I'd like to know what it would take to get at the root of the design flaw.

The 5.7 "Hemi" is in my opinion an example of something being "good enough".

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I just saw this video this morning and was going to post on the forum, glad someone else did! Really does explain some things, like why the lifters that get 'worn out' tend to go sideways and then really crater the cams. When I did my lifter/cam upgrade and installed hardened pushrods I wish I had compared the size of the oil feed hole to the stock rods, wonder if the holes were bigger.

kathyricks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Does anyone know if this lubrication design flaw was fixed in the later model year hemi's? Like say the 2017's on up?