Want to get another ram. V6 or Eco Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I loved my 2016 ram with a hemi and now i want to get another ram. However, i am just using it for grocery hauling and gas mileage is the priority. I would like to get a crew cab 4x4. Is it worth getting an Eco Diesel or should i stick with a v6?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont have a problem with either. The 3.6 is a great motor. Its reliable and gets good mpg. The problem I would see with the V6 would be if you wanted more options which the eco diesel would offer more. Also the cost of diesel currently vs gas.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Short trip driving go with the pentastar.

The diesel has a regen feature with a particulate filter that can clog. You need some hwy driving to regen properly. Filter replacement is a 3000.00 replacement cost. Check out the cost of oil change and fuel filter replacement. This being said, if your driving habits can support the the EPA tech, you will be happy with the eco diesel.

Also, if you scroll down on the home page, there is an eco diesel thread. Owners can tell you more.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If just local running and GG getting, and not working the Diesel hard, V6 Pentastar for sure. If You gonna work the Diesel like a Truck, then that may work. The ED U looking at is a 3rd Gen, I had a 2nd Gen and PPL had issues but FCA allegedly moved the EGR and stuff, and dealt with the issues. Do your diligent research and then decide and not let ne one on Internet sway U either way. All IMHO...

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Short trip driving go with the pentastar.

The diesel has a regen feature with a particulate filter that can clog. You need some hwy driving to regen properly. Filter replacement is a 3000.00 replacement cost. Check out the cost of oil change and fuel filter replacement. This being said, if your driving habits can support the the EPA tech, you will be happy the eco diesel.

Also, if you scroll down on the home page, there is an eco diesel thread. Owners can tell you more.
I have been hearing the same also about short driving with the eco, Have to get them up to temp with decent drives.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure on 5th gen pentastars (which all come with E-torque), but 4th gens with crew cabs are hard to find with pentastars. Most of them are quad cabs. CCs are out there though, but you're going to pay hemi prices anyway.

Having owned a 2017 Ram 1500 QC, 4x4 w/ pentastar and my current 2019 classic crew cab 4x4 hemi, the fuel economy for my usage didn't change much. I'd average 23mpg tank to tank with my pentastar and I average 21mpg tank to tank with my hemi. Both were great trucks.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even with experiencing 5 broken exhaust mani bolts AND lifter failure, I'd still recommend a hemi. Gas mileage on a stock truck really isn't bad, and if properly maintained and not idled to death, they'll last a long time and have fun doing it.
OTOH, I loved the V6 in my Dakota, not a direct comparison of course, but it had 225K and still going strong with 0 problems, the trans was the weak point.
I only have indirect experience with diesels, so my opinion is only worth what it cost ya, but I'd avoid one unless I really needed it and then Cummins all the way.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
As others have stated, unless your use case (setting MPG aside) will benefit from the diesel, your TCO over the long term will likely be less with the Pentastar.

I daily drove a TDI New Beetle for over twelve years, and averaged 45 MPG (hand calculated). My TCO ended up being a wash with my wife's minivans (that averaged in the mid-20s) due to higher diesel prices and maintenance costs over the long term.

(TCO = total cost of ownership)

es

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You will never recoup your money on a diesel with short trips. Ever.

Elvira

Reaction score
The v-6 is definitely the way to go for your excursions. Phenomenal on fuel and obviously a less expensive truck to buy. At 300 hp, it has more than enough get up and go for what ever you may like to do. Unless you're going to be towing or need the torque, gas in a v-6 is the best scenario. I would of done the v-6 also, but i am loving the rumble of dual exhaust and the extra hp is no slouch in my little truck with the 5.7 hemi.

OP
OP
GMcD

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
99% of my trips is highway/interstate for Atleast 30 mins.

Hysteria77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Similar to my drive. On my 2nd ecodiesel and love them but I also do all of my own maintenance I know dealers can charge alot just for an oil change. I also have a 2018 Durango with thr pentastar the ****** really has some horse for a v-6.

I take multiple 5 hour+ drives to the cabin throughout the summer is where my Eco pays off. If you can pay attention to regens and make sure it does complete burns I wouldn’t ever be scared of the diesel but I also drive semi for a living. I couldn’t talk my dad into one still thinks they are the 1980’s GM 6.2L or something.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I loved my 2016 ram with a hemi and now i want to get another ram. However, i am just using it for grocery hauling and gas mileage is the priority. I would like to get a crew cab 4x4. Is it worth getting an Eco Diesel or should i stick with a v6?

My feelings on the trade offs between the three engines in the 2021 new body Ram are below. Given the slight cost difference, and increased performance, I would not consider either of the gas engines without Etorque.

o V6 Pentastar Etorque = Best of 3 for short trips, low speed stop & go traffic, low cost maintenance, payload (weight), reliability. 2nd best MPGs. 3rd best towing.

o EcoDiesel = Best of 3 for long trips, high speed low traffic, towing, torque, MPG, longest range, quietest under load. 2nd best for reliability (tied with 5.7 hemi).

o 5.7 Etorque: 2nd best for short trips, cargo (weight), maintenance cost, reliability, towing. 3rd for MPGs. 2nd best for reliability (tied with ED).

If looking at Ram Classic, there are the 2 gas engines, no Etorque. The V6 will give you better reliability and more cargo weight capacity at the cost of power and tow capacity. i'd get the Classic with the V6 if I needed the cheapest possible choice for urban grocery hauling.

moodyism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 TD
I have an Ecodiesel and love it. However, I don't take it on short trips when I can avoid it. The good news is you just can't go wrong with a Ram. I think you said 99% 30 min hwy you would love the eco. Five miles back and forth to the grocery store and you will hate it.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
If you live like me, you are in a rural area and a "short drive" to the closest BigMart is 20+ miles. If so, just stop playing on the internets and get thee to the nearest Ram dealer to place an order for the Gen 3 EcoDiesel. The only must have option (besides the Gen 3 ecodiesel) you must have? Well, that is the 33 gallon tank.

Today was store and chores day. 60 miles of driving to make 4 stops. 25 miles to WeallyBigMart, 5 to iron and welding shop, 3 miles to fuel station, 3 miles to pick up dinner at local fish fry, then home. Since last refuel the "Big Red Twuck" went 850 miles on 30 gallons of diesel and refill today was $3.50 a gal). At nearly 30 MPGs, I am happy. Just for grins, the price for regular unleaded was $3.40. Gas may be a bit cheaper here, but not that much cheaper. I do 90% rural roads and highway.

Last edited:

Brman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel

Brman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
I have an Ecodiesel and love it. However, I don't take it on short trips when I can avoid it. The good news is you just can't go wrong with a Ram. I think you said 99% 30 min hwy you would love the eco. Five miles back and forth to the grocery store and you will hate it.
My 2500 2019 Diesel gets 20 around town 23 on the road. Not bad for big 4 wheel drive.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So? Unless your truck is troublesome or you plan on giving it as a gift to your family, it’s worth more to you than a new diesel,6 or jet. My 2016 Hemi 4wd crew cab with 90k miles just averaged 20.5 mpg on a 8831 mile trip around the US. It’s paid for. It used not a drop of oil. The diesel is not the truck to have for local grocery hailing. The 6 may get you 2-3 mpg better, tops. You can buy lots of gas for the price of admission to a new truck less your trade. You’ll never justify the move unless you have other compelling reasons.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I just bought a 3.6 v6 big horn. Driving around town, it is as good as a hemi. At 75, it is a little winded but still has some oomf left it it. It will down shift at 75 between 7th and 8th but not noticable. Gas mileage is a big difference. I had 2 ecodiesels and had engine problems with both. I really do not see for short distances where a diesel can pay for itself. Our gas at Flying J is 299.9 and Diesel is 3.81. So the better mileage is ofset by the additional cost of fuel.

When I traded in my Hemi, the used car manager said "If you drive a hemi, you have to feed a Hemi". There is a lot of truth in that. The 3.6 does everything I need and do not miss the Hemi. I will haul 20 boxes of paper 2 times a month about 120 mi. and go to Dallas to pick up computers and parts. I am disabled and put a bed slider in the truck and had the bed sprayed. The bed slider is a life saver as you can load it and slide it back into the truck.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. I always say my opinion and a dollar will by you a senior cup of coffee at McD's. I wish you well but really look at the bed slider if you get a chance.