Water Damage - Dodge claims no warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cconthecc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My son has a 2015 1500 Bighorn Crewcab. Purchased from Huntington Beach. Had the same issue with the third brake light gasket. The dealership repaired the leak and interior damage under warranty.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First, thank you for your service. I agree that you should take your deployment papers and ask them for a Goodwill response to your problem. I had a somewhat similar frustrating occurrence with my wife's van, the seal around the driver window went bad after only a couple years. Still was under the extended warranty that she had bought but they said it was not a covered item, that gaskets and such were not included. I continue to move up the chain until I finally got somebody to understand that while the part may be thought of as a seal, the actual part name did not include any of that nomenclature and that it was a guide track for the window. The bottom line of my story is that the original people that you talk to on whether or not it's covered are in the financial part of the company and they have a mission to limit the amount of money that goes out on these things. You need to get to the actual customer service part and work with them to get the issue corrected for you. Good luck on it.

DanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone needs to file a complaint with
NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION
Clearly this is a heath and safety issue since the water can cause mold and mildew. It could cause an electrical shock or short.
It could cause seat belts to rust and not work correctly.
It could cause air bag sensors not work.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Clearly this is a heath and safety issue since the water can cause mold and mildew. It could cause an electrical shock or short.
Yeep I agree, but no one ever wants to get together and actually file the paperwork and then wait even if it means 6 months or a year for it to be seen in a court and then the follow ups ..

In 1990 my parents bought a house out here in Perris California, 12 years later someone finally got a hearing and won the class action lawsuit because the home builders didn't put the correct type of windows in peoples new homes, a new track home community and it costed home owners thousands of dollars in electricity ... when my parents got the letter in the mail asking them if they wanted to be a part of the class action lawsuit, they just simply brushed it off ... 1 year after that letter the neighbors showed my parents a check for $10k due to the class action law suit that they decided to be a part of ..

Most class action lawsuits are started by one or a couple, few individuals and then you are sent a letter if you might be affected ....

It's a matter of patience and just following through ....

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
My 2018 dose the exact same thing. I went to the dodge house I bought it from and told them and all they said was it’s common with these model trucks and there is nothing they can do. It’s irritating as hell I’ve changed the gasket still leaking changed the whole housing still leaks I’ve given up all I can do is tape it up with frog tape before it rains. So basically I have to drive around with green tape all around my third break light every time it looks like rain. First and last Ram for me I totally regret trading my Tahoe.
Having repaired many water leaks over my years @Ford, have you tried cleaning the area & drying it with compressed air? Then apply clear silicone over the area... especially the exterior. You want to stop the water before it gets inside.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Ram actually emailed me this morning asking how my purchase was and how I’m enjoying my truck lol i spent over two hours telling them exactly how I feel about there crappy vehicles and the hwy robbery the dealer did to me for over $4,500.

O yeah watch your tailgate when you hit bumps they tend to just pop open sounding like a car just hit you. It’s common ram knows won’t do squat about it.
I have no tailgate popping open issues but I had issues trying to open as a door. Very very tight!!! Went back to dealer with an appointment I made wuth them. Hour & a half later it sits where I parked it. I asked if they intended to get it in today as the clock was getting close to closing. She says 'Soon". I said why did i make an appointment if you're not looking at it. She says, "That's when we make time for you to talk to us." My head was spinning... I worked 17 years @Ford... never did I see such incompetence in my life & dis-regard to a customer. $75,000 Ram & they are treating me like I bought a rusty a Schwinn. Anyway they got it in, changed the oil (left the oil menu up on the dash I knew not about)... as they're resetting the dash I said did you fix the tailgate? No he says. I said FORGET IT! When I got home I lubed the strikers, latches & tension bumpers. Problem solved! I call to caomplain... finally the service writer says how you fix the tailgate? I said "Wouldn't you like to know." "Is this a job offer?" So I want to thank Scranton Dodge for being the bunch of ignorant losers that they are & my salesman for ignoring my 6 phone calls. You made the deal so now you write me off. Whata loser you are Jim.

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Having repaired many water leaks over my years @Ford, have you tried cleaning the area & drying it with compressed air? Then apply clear silicone over the area... especially the exterior. You want to stop the water before it gets inside.
I quit messing with it I’m honestly thinking about just selling the truck and just getting a gmc 2500

Jerid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Custom
Engine
5.7L Hemi Etorque
Hey everyone,

I have a 2018 6.7L crew cab 4x4. purchased brand new in 2017 from Clovis Dodge out of CA. Had a terrible experience buying from them so I ended up taking my truck to the dealership across town (owned by the same company). September 2021 I was deployed and I returned to my vehicle Jan 10 2022. Opened my door and a foul odor of mold and mildew hit me. There was water dripping from the oh **** handles and from the visors, the carpet was completely soaked front of cab to beneath the rear seats, and mold can be seen throughout the cab. I dropped my truck off at Fresno Dodge in CA. Was told that the gasket on the third brake light was bad and was leaking. I asked if that would be covered under my extended 6 year 100k mile warranty along with the obvious damage to my roof cab liner, carpet, seat, dash, radio. I was informed that the gasket is not covered and all the damage due to the leaking gasket is not covered.

Kind of at a loss for words with this dealership, if anyone has any advice on what to do please contact me. I have contacted my insurance company but I feel as if this factory defect should be covered along with the obvious damage to my truck.

Firstly, thank you for your service.
Second, I would contact Stellantis or Ram directly. I purchased a 2021 Ram Limited custom built. I showed up, it had 4 miles, and the 3rd break light was already leaking off the truck. Mind you, this was March 2021 so we were still dealing with Snow storms in Michigan. But, the dealership wanted no part of the repair. So I refused delivery, and that is when Stellantis reached out directly. It was fixed at the dealership and did not cost a penny. Now mind you, I have a tan interior so it showed up immediately. No issues since! Only other thing they did was credit back funds as my order said no chrome, yet i have chrome rims, mirrors, and grill accents. All of which go against my purchase request. But for 10K off I won't complain.

Ram Cares is the same as Stellantis at this point. But, they really do and ill bet they will help. They might ask for a copy of your deployment order but that should not be an issue.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put it in on your insurance and let them go after FCA.

Tonysr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I quit messing with it I’m honestly thinking about just selling the truck and just getting a gmc 2500
I solved mine by using 1/4 x1/4 inch closed foam tape like you use on doors, etc. that you get from Home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes. It hasn't leaked since I did that in 2014 even through car washes, etc. The problem I found is that the light itself deforms from sunlight heat and the gasket they use doesnt expand so the leak. I had an 95 Ford Ranger that did the same thing and a friend told me to use the foam tape.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Cremeens Law Group PLLC. He files cases under the Federal law. Try them, its free. I did twice and it work for me.

Tonysr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
NHTSA wont do anything about a leaking 3rd light fixture. Here are what they cover:

Examples of defects considered safety-related​

• Steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.
  • Problems with fuel system components, particularly in their susceptibility to crash damage, that result in leakage of fuel and possibly cause vehicle fires.
  • Accelerator controls that may break or stick.
  • Wheels that crack or break, resulting in loss of vehicle control.
  • Engine cooling fan blades that break unexpectedly causing injury to persons working on a vehicle.
  • Windshield wiper assemblies that fail to operate properly.
  • Seats and/or seat backs that fail unexpectedly during normal use.
  • Critical vehicle components that break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle, causing potential loss of vehicle control or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle.
  • Wiring system problems that result in a fire or loss of lighting.
  • Car ramps or jacks that may collapse and cause injury to someone working on a vehicle.
  • Air bags that deploy under conditions for which they are not intended to deploy.
  • Child safety seats that contain defective safety belts, buckles, or components that create a risk of injury, not only in a vehicle crash but also in non-operational safety of a motor vehicle.
  • Examples of defects NOT considered safety-related:​

• Air conditioners and radios that do not operate properly.
    • Ordinary wear of equipment that has to be inspected, maintained and replaced periodically. Such equipment includes shock absorbers, batteries, brake pads and shoes, and exhaust systems.
    • Nonstructural or body panel rust.
    • Quality of paint or cosmetic blemishes.
    • Excessive oil consumption.

sleboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chrysler Corp (or whatever they are called now) will do everything they can to not honor their extended warranties. They just flat out cancelled mine without any notice. I will NEVER get another extended warranty..........EVER. They are nothing but ripoffs.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Chrysler Corp (or whatever they are called now) will do everything they can to not honor their extended warranties. They just flat out cancelled mine without any notice. I will NEVER get another extended warranty..........EVER. They are nothing but ripoffs.
Did they refund for the time left on it.

MikeBrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t help you with your warranty but I can give you some advice. I had the same leak. Tried dill the internet fixes for other problems. I finally got to the too cab light on back. Easy fix. But getting smell out isn’t. I had water filling the storage spaces below the back seat. Thoroughly dried the car. Put industrial pan back there. It was bone dry. Used charcoal and pounds of baking soda. No hood. I finally took out the carpet which lines the storage bins below below rear seat. All the insulation and heat shields were thoroughly spoken. Took them out. Dried them. Cleaned out inside with Clorox and dimple green. Put cleaned carpets back. Put those dry x boxes with replaceable bags in there. Took out all smell. No matter how much you dry it. I guarantee it will be wet underneath. Good luck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ram actually emailed me this morning asking how my purchase was and how I’m enjoying my truck lol i spent over two hours telling them exactly how I feel about there crappy vehicles and the hwy robbery the dealer did to me for over $4,500.

O yeah watch your tailgate when you hit bumps they tend to just pop open sounding like a car just hit you. It’s common ram knows won’t do squat about it.
Isn't there a recall for the talegate.?

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
I have no tailgate popping open issues but I had issues trying to open as a door. Very very tight!!! Went back to dealer with an appointment I made wuth them. Hour & a half later it sits where I parked it. I asked if they intended to get it in today as the clock was getting close to closing. She says 'Soon". I said why did i make an appointment if you're not looking at it. She says, "That's when we make time for you to talk to us." My head was spinning... I worked 17 years @Ford... never did I see such incompetence in my life & dis-regard to a customer. $75,000 Ram & they are treating me like I bought a rusty a Schwinn. Anyway they got it in, changed the oil (left the oil menu up on the dash I knew not about)... as they're resetting the dash I said did you fix the tailgate? No he says. I said FORGET IT! When I got home I lubed the strikers, latches & tension bumpers. Problem solved! I call to caomplain... finally the service writer says how you fix the tailgate? I said "Wouldn't you like to know." "Is this a job offer?" So I want to thank Scranton Dodge for being the bunch of ignorant losers that they are & my salesman for ignoring my 6 phone calls. You made the deal so now you write me off. Whata loser you are Jim.
Yes, be wary of Scranton Dodge in PA. No wonder dealers get bad raps… they deserve it. Took weeks for the owner to call back, service mgr never did

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
I can’t help you with your warranty but I can give you some advice. I had the same leak. Tried dill the internet fixes for other problems. I finally got to the too cab light on back. Easy fix. But getting smell out isn’t. I had water filling the storage spaces below the back seat. Thoroughly dried the car. Put industrial pan back there. It was bone dry. Used charcoal and pounds of baking soda. No hood. I finally took out the carpet which lines the storage bins below below rear seat. All the insulation and heat shields were thoroughly spoken. Took them out. Dried them. Cleaned out inside with Clorox and dimple green. Put cleaned carpets back. Put those dry x boxes with replaceable bags in there. Took out all smell. No matter how much you dry it. I guarantee it will be wet underneath. Good luck.
In order to dry an interior it has to be totally removed…. seats, rug, panels, etc. no short cuts

DanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NHTSA wont do anything about a leaking 3rd light fixture. Here are what they cover:

Examples of defects considered safety-related​

• Steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.
  • Problems with fuel system components, particularly in their susceptibility to crash damage, that result in leakage of fuel and possibly cause vehicle fires.
  • Accelerator controls that may break or stick.
  • Wheels that crack or break, resulting in loss of vehicle control.
  • Engine cooling fan blades that break unexpectedly causing injury to persons working on a vehicle.
  • Windshield wiper assemblies that fail to operate properly.
  • Seats and/or seat backs that fail unexpectedly during normal use.
  • Critical vehicle components that break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle, causing potential loss of vehicle control or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle.
  • Wiring system problems that result in a fire or loss of lighting.
  • Car ramps or jacks that may collapse and cause injury to someone working on a vehicle.
  • Air bags that deploy under conditions for which they are not intended to deploy.
  • Child safety seats that contain defective safety belts, buckles, or components that create a risk of injury, not only in a vehicle crash but also in non-operational safety of a motor vehicle.
  • Examples of defects NOT considered safety-related:​

• Air conditioners and radios that do not operate properly.
    • Ordinary wear of equipment that has to be inspected, maintained and replaced periodically. Such equipment includes shock absorbers, batteries, brake pads and shoes, and exhaust systems.
    • Nonstructural or body panel rust.
    • Quality of paint or cosmetic blemishes.
    • Excessive oil consumption.
I agree, but these things that could happen. Thats why they need to start an investigation. Seat belts and air bags are being effected by water. Electric could cause an electric shock or possible loss of power. So i hate to disagree with you. Also base on your examples, i had an engineer call me from National highway about my ford explorer rear window exploding because of an appliqué below the window that cracks due to water freeze in winter. My window didn't explode but they wanted my opinion which i thought was pretty cool.