Water puddle under D/S rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
This is the second time in a year I've found a puddle of water under the seat.

I haven't found any evidence of how the water got there but I'm guessing it's probably the rear window. I'm no expert on window seals but nothing stands out to me as the point of failure so I figure I should see if anyone else has encountered this beforec25693be915e58ac0d0977eabbc2ae1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would redo the seal on the 3rd brake light. Thats most likely the culprit and can be fixed in probably 20 minutes and for 10 bucks. This is the video that i followed and have been leak free for 3 weeks (we have had some heavy rains to test this). I got the weather seal at home depot.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I would redo the seal on the 3rd brake light. Thats most likely the culprit and can be fixed in probably 20 minutes and for 10 bucks. This is the video that i followed and have been leak free for 3 weeks (we have had some heavy rains to test this). I got the weather seal at home depot.

If the 3rd brake light can leak into the cab then I know exactly what it is. The previous owner installed a cell booster and drilled a 3/4 hole right about the 3BL to install the antenna. I had the system 90% removed before I realized the gaping hole.

I'll check the 3BL seal as well too. Thank you for the info

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it's the factory glass, this is almost certainly the 3rd brake light like said above. Once you pop that baby out and and see all the nice leak paths water can take, you'll will want to slap the FCA bean counters responsible for making this design a thing.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
If it's the factory glass, this is almost certainly the 3rd brake light like said above. Once you pop that baby out and and see all the nice leak paths water can take, you'll will want to slap the FCA bean counters responsible for making this design a thing.
Lol. I also just remembered I replaced the 3bl bulbs like a week ago. Before I put the housing back on I cleaned around the sealing base. There was green slime past the seal surface. At the time, I wasent aware that the space behind the light leads directly to the cab. It makes sense then

3bl seal it is then!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Dipped my hand in a puddle again while reaching for a tie down

Old
20181230_150839.jpg

New
20181230_153924.jpg

Considerably thicker. hopefully this was the problem

Gas Burner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemin
Ya the dreaded 3 break light leak !
Mine leaked also .
I used window seal comes in a roll . They use it on RV a lot . A sticky flexible sealer not a caulking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep. Pretty much any stick on weather stripping that will fit this application is better than what FCA calls a gasket on these 3rd brake lights.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I just used the same stuff from the video

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine leaked. I ran a silicone bead around the top of the light and sides. Never had an issue, but did have those same water puddles. Now that you think you have it fixed, take it through a high powered automatic car wash. Get someone else to drive if its a quad or crew and sit in the back seat and pay attention to the rear glass. You'll see it dripping if it leaks.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Usually if it's the 3rd brake light, you won't see water run down the rear glass because of the channeling stamped into the roof assembly. I know with mine, water would run down the rear glass, because the replacement glass wasn't sealed properly. I spent a lot of time and resources fiddling with the 3rd light, only to find out it was probably the light AND my rear glass. Good times...

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
On my '15 there was a retrofit kit from the factory for the rear powered sliding glass to stop the leaks. Have not had the CHMSL (3rd brake light) leak.