Water Tank - under body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zubicon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone installed a water tank somewhere betwee the frame rails underneath the body? Seems a search only brought up tanks in trailers, tanks in beds, coolant tanks. Running a 2020 5th Gen 1500 Big Horn.

Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone installed a water tank somewhere betwee the frame rails underneath the body? Seems a search only brought up tanks in trailers, tanks in beds, coolant tanks. Running a 2020 5th Gen 1500 Big Horn.

Thanks
A good welding shop could probably make a tank that'd fit between the frame rail and outer box side.Used to be a local welding shop that built extra fuel tanks for the 70's Ford pick-ups that went between the frame rail and the outer box skin,on both sides of the trucks.They went ahead of the rear tires,and ran up to the back of the cab,and you filled them up just ahead of the rear tires,only downside was filling them up,after you'd drove down a muddy road,you had to wipe the mud off the filler nozzle,before opening the gas caps on them,i used to get that pleasure,as i'd be the one sent out to fill the truck in the rain,lol.My Dad had them on his old 75 F-150 (before everybody started worrying about exploding Pintos,and 70's Chevy pick-ups,that had the fuel tanks outside the frame rail,lol),and each tank was good for 17 gallons of fuel.I don't see why you couldn't build a water tank to fit in the same spot,either ahead of or behind the rear tires,but i'm like Zoe "why",lol

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was debating on using 4” or 6” pvc tubes to make water tanks in whatever length I need and can use a threaded fitting to connect a 12v rv water pump to it. Was debating on passenger side or spare tire location but leaning towards passenger side if I ever get around to it to counter the fuel tank weight. As for the why? Off-roading and camping in the wilderness or even hunting. It’s good for cleaning or even showering if wanted.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, get U a bed tank/system you can put in and fill up when U get the Camping bug, that U can take out and store when not in use, IMHO.....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you are not go to use it for drinking water.

Pick up one 10' or 12' by 6" diameter Schedule 40 PVC.
two 6" End Caps, not threaded
two PVC Clean Out Plugs
Two PVC Adaptors, 1 side will slip into the 6" tube, the other part is threaded, so that the clean out plug will screw into it.

That will give you two 6" tanks by the length of the bed, each tank will have a clean out.
The other end is sealed shut.
At which ever end of the PVC pipe, that you chose, install a fitting for a hose connection. one fitting for each tube.

Lay 1 pipe on each side of the bed, over the inner fenders, then build 2 mounts for each side of the bed

it will be similar to this

1697861812769.png
i need a beer, too much thinking

Doing my job, at times i have to measure things like clearances of bridges & tunnels.
I carry the measuring tool in a similar PVC Tube

OP
OP
Z

Zubicon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are bed racks and water systems for what the OP wants.

But I think the OP is a bit off to figure it all out.
Well versed at fabrication. Don’t want anything in the bed and don’t want to run a rack. Was just seeing if there was somewhere who already did the R & D that I could piggy back on. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zubicon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was debating on using 4” or 6” pvc tubes to make water tanks in whatever length I need and can use a threaded fitting to connect a 12v rv water pump to it. Was debating on passenger side or spare tire location but leaning towards passenger side if I ever get around to it to counter the fuel tank weight. As for the why? Off-roading and camping in the wilderness or even hunting. It’s good for cleaning or even showering if wanted.
Was thinking that route at one point. 2 x 6’ x 6” would yield 17.62 gals. That’s plenty

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also tossed around the idea of using the onboard air with a regulator set to 30 psi to pressurize the water tank so no need for a 12v water pump. Saves wiring

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I have this very same idea. Abs scud 40 pipe i would mount it between the rock sliders I built and the body for pressure I was going to use either a small submersible bilge pump or air pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 14

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A 6" X 6ft piece of PCV pipe will only hold roughly 8.8 gallons of water. To get a usable amount of water you'd want to probably run at least 1 or 2 on each side of the truck,and plumb them together

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
9 gallons is quite a bit it would weigh about 80lbs. But I would be carrying it low. I was thinking 2 4 inch x6 ft. It’s mostly drinking and doing dishes. Fuel tank where the spare tire was is on the list too.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The ops question I believe was can you install a water tank under the truck. It’s totally doable you just have to crawl under the truck and figure it out. I have been working on my truck and I come up with all sorts of ideas not all good though lol. But I like to build it rather than buy it

Gussers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was suggested might work for you. A couple lengths of sch 40 PVC pipe would give you around 10 gallons of water. You could adjust the length or the number of pipes to get to the gallons you require. You can also go to 6" pipe to increase capacity. As for what others have said - You can drink water from modern sch 40 PVC pipe as long as it's NSF rated. You can also pressurize it well over 100 psi if all your connections are sound. If you already have an on board compressor, you could use that with a regulator to pressurize the system and not worry about venting or pumps. Bear in mind the additional weight as well as the effect of 80-150lbs sloshing when your tanks aren't totally full. You'll also need a way to fill them easily - which may require some kind of venting. Perhaps you can disconnect the compressor and use the air line?

It should work. Also bear in mind PVC must be de-rated for pressure as temp increases. It'll also break down under UV light, so should be OK in the shade, under the vehicle. There's quite a bit of space under there - especially if you get an aftermarket muffler.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What was suggested might work for you. A couple lengths of sch 40 PVC pipe would give you around 10 gallons of water. You could adjust the length or the number of pipes to get to the gallons you require. You can also go to 6" pipe to increase capacity. As for what others have said - You can drink water from modern sch 40 PVC pipe as long as it's NSF rated. You can also pressurize it well over 100 psi if all your connections are sound. If you already have an on board compressor, you could use that with a regulator to pressurize the system and not worry about venting or pumps. Bear in mind the additional weight as well as the effect of 80-150lbs sloshing when your tanks aren't totally full. You'll also need a way to fill them easily - which may require some kind of venting. Perhaps you can disconnect the compressor and use the air line?

It should work. Also bear in mind PVC must be de-rated for pressure as temp increases. It'll also break down under UV light, so should be OK in the shade, under the vehicle. There's quite a bit of space under there - especially if you get an aftermarket muffler.
Good point about the 1/2 full tanks.We used to haul water for the farm when i was a kid,and a 1/2 full 500 gallon water tank in the back of a 3 ton grain truck,would move the truck around on the highway a fair bit if the water started to slosh around.It wouldn't be as noticable with only a 1/2 dozen galloms of water,but it still might be noticable on a high speed off ramp etc.