Water Tank - under body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point about the 1/2 full tanks.We used to haul water for the farm when i was a kid,and a 1/2 full 500 gallon water tank in the back of a 3 ton grain truck,would move the truck around on the highway a fair bit if the water started to slosh around.It wouldn't be as noticable with only a 1/2 dozen galloms of water,but it still might be noticable on a high speed off ramp etc.
Point of Order: Whether pulling fuel, loaded water, wateva: Either full or empty. That 1/2 full stuff, especially say a couple 100 gallons, remembering that water is a lil over 6 Lbs a gallon, that is a recipe for an ole chit moment, and if on wet/slippery/icy roads, may be a biotch to recover from. Fill water tanks at last place prior to going to an area, or run full, neva 1/2. But alas, free country, OP or anybody do what makes U happy.

POST LATER: shows water at 8.1 lbs. Where did I get the 6 from, thinking aviation fuel, LOL. My bad, too many years on flightline.

ADDED: I used to run gas station. And every tanker guy I talked to said: No friggin way would they do a divided load because of above. Either dump all, or if divided, next stop best be down the street. Just too friggin dangerous. And the way PPL are now driving distracted: Not paying attention: Got phones plugged into their ears, Bass systems booming, vehicles so noise deafened just not pay attention. Just saying and all IMHO.....

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Point of Order: Whether pulling fuel, loaded water, wateva: Either full or empty. That 1/2 full stuff, especially say a couple 100 gallons, remembering that water is a lil over 6 Lbs a gallon, that is a recipe for an ole chit moment, and if on wet/slippery/icy roads, may be a biotch to recover from. Fill water tanks at last place prior to going to an area, or run full, neva 1/2. But alas, free country, OP or anybody do what makes U happy.

ADDED: I used to run gas station. And every tanker guy I talked to said: No friggin way would they do a divided load because of above. Either dump all, or if divided, next stop best be down the street. Just too friggin dangerous. And the way PPL are now driving distracted: Not paying attention: Got phones plugged into their ears, Bass systems booming, vehicles so noise deafened just not pay attention. Just saying and all IMHO.....
Those were the days when us Canucks were still using the Imperial gallon (4.54 litres),so it was closer to 10lbs for every gallon of water,lol

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those were the days when us Canucks were still using the Imperial gallon (4.54 litres),so it was closer to 10lbs for every gallon of water,lol
SUH, not my fault U guys were confused, roflmao. As opposed to 3.8L, huh. I have to think ref Klicks and Liters. Not been in a European country since 1994.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah our mpg was really great with imperial gallons!
Spent a lot of years up and down the autobahn. But alas, been "home" enuf now have to think hard and hurt myself on conversions, LOL. It was always funny to go into a German Hardware store and tell em I need (3) 8' 2' X 4's, the looks were priceless.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah our mpg was really great with imperial gallons!
My wifes old 2016 Challenger showed all 3 mileges,Imperial / SAE and metric mileges,and to screw with some of the guys on the Challenger boards,i post up the Imperial milege numbers,lol.

Attachments

• DSCN4054.JPG
    DSCN4054.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4055 (2).JPG
    DSCN4055 (2).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4056 (2).JPG
    DSCN4056 (2).JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I would be mounting the pipe lengths waysso sloshing from side to side probably won’t be a problem but front to back might be

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The weight is a consideration mounting it low will help. That’s one of the reasons I think plastic pipe works on my truck it would be protected by the skid plates and the rock sliders I built

OP
OP
Z

Zubicon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would be mounting the pipe lengths waysso sloshing from side to side probably won’t be a problem but front to back might be
My thoughts exactly or simply drain everything on the return trip hitting the Hwy. Having per say three 4” tubes should have less sloshing effect than say two 6”. Kind of like a waveless waterbed….man, I miss mine. BTW, a gal of water since I’ve been alive has always been 8.3 pounds at room temp.

OP
OP
Z

Zubicon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. Now if I can just get the winch installed first

Gussers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this very same idea. Abs scud 40 pipe i would mount it between the rock sliders I built and the body for pressure I was going to use either a small submersible bilge pump or air pressure.
Old post, I know. I already posted some tips but just noticed this statement and thought I'd chime in. Look to the boating/camper world for pumps. There are water pumps with built in pressure switches that automatically turn on when the tap is opened and shut off when the pressure builds to a certain point. If you install one, I suggest using an accumulator tank (there are different sizes) to make the whole thing run smoother. A pump like this, without some kind of buffer, gets noisy and there can be a lot of shock on the system when the water is turned off suddenly. See an example here: https://www.westmarine.com/west-advisor/Pressurized-Freshwater-Systems.html

The good news is all the components are 12v already since that's most common in RVs and boats.