Well, half the camshaft battle...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had that happen to my wifes 2011 RAM 1500 5.7......#5 Intake Roller Lifter seized up, grinding the lobe completely down on the camshaft. Strange thing is, the ECM throws a "MISFIRE CODE" when this issue occurs. You never get a KNOCK CODE or any other code.

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hell, I just had a similar problem on my KTM790R motorcycle! Camshaft was not hardened properly. I am assuming that this has been ruled out as the cause for these cam/lifter problems?

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Had an old 1968 Chevy 327 ruin a cam lobe---we called it a "Flat Cam" in those days. I changed the cam and lifters, the timing chain and gears, also changed the oil and filter, then placed 2 large magnets on the oil pan (shoulda dropped it and cleaned it). Ran it for years afterwards, no problem. Hope it works for you too.

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
right after i started getting the ROLLER ROCKER ticking, i went ahead and replaced ALL the ROLLER ROCKERS as well as ALL the Lifters, themselves.....figured i'd cover all the bases. not too expensive all Melling parts from ROCKAUTO..........oil soaked all the parts days prior till all the bubbles were out of the parts. found two ROLLER ROCKERS with bad roller bearings...........

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hell, I just had a similar problem on my KTM790R motorcycle! Camshaft was not hardened properly. I am assuming that this has been ruled out as the cause for these cam/lifter problems?

Yes - at least one member had his failed cam checked for hardness and it had been hardened properly. Even a hard cam will get wiped by a seized roller turned sideways in the lifter bore. The seizure is the first ticking sound we hear when a lifter roller is failing. It means do something soon before it seizes completely and wipes the cam. If metal parts get in the engine, the engine is trashed. Otherwise it can be saved by a cam and lifter rebuild for half the cost of a new engine, which will have the same risk.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Out of the millions of trucks and cars sold with the Hemi,the percentages of cam failures are very small in comparision Ed.You only hear about the ones with the failure,you never hear about the millions that don't have a failure
A point often missed. There have been at least two surveys of 5.7 Eagle lifter failures which indicate a failure rate 0f 5% or less. Also, lifter failures include engines that were not maintained correctly.

The Fatal Flaw of the 5.7L Eagle Hemi V8 Engine Fully Explained (2009+ Lifters and Camshaft Failure) - YouTube

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 75156 miles