Well that was unexpected ! Lifter gone 52,000 miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because of the OP's concerns/issues, I use this religiously along with PUP 5w-20 and Genuine Mopar 5038041AA Oil Filter (used on Viper etc.) This is also one of the reasons why I still have stock exhaust-so I can HEAR any "ticking". My motto is "if it's not broke don't fix it" but later down the line a supercharged 6.2 is going in my Ram (no MDS lifters) if it's last thing I do! But for now I'll keep babying this one.

Every oil change! Like feeding a deer corn!
View attachment 488112

View attachment 488113
Would it be of any benefit to add this maybe half way thru the oil change interval instead of at the oil change?

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
have a buddy with 220,000 miles on a 09 sport changed the oil between 10 and 15,000 miles, runs the cheapest 87 gas he can find and has always left mds on- runs perfect engine is still silent

it’s luck of the draw
forgot to add its a hemi

Octane

Reaction score
I remember the service writer at the dealer telling me the 5.7 hemi was a bullet proof engine.
Sounds to me it's not the bullets,it's the lifters!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I remember the service writer at the dealer telling me the 5.7 hemi was a bullet proof engine.
Sounds to me it's not the bullets,it's the lifters!

It certainly isn't lifter proof. It is the one fatal flaw in the Gen III Hemi, which is a shame as the rest of the engine is good.
I don't mention breaking exhaust manifold bolts because that's mostly an annoyance that doesn't leave you stranded.

Octane

Reaction score
It certainly isn't lifter proof. It is the one fatal flaw in the Gen III Hemi, which is a shame as the rest of the engine is good.
I don't mention breaking exhaust manifold bolts because that's mostly an annoyance that doesn't leave you stranded.
A mechanic friend always swore that the only thing wrong with Chrysler and hemis were cheap raw materials.He said he'd drive a Ford before he'd own a Chrysler product.....that's pretty bad I think.YMMV

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A mechanic friend always swore that the only thing wrong with Chrysler and hemis were cheap raw materials.He said he'd drive a Ford before he'd own a Chrysler product.....that's pretty bad I think.YMMV
That's funny. i have a couple of GM auto technician friends that say the very same thing about Fords.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 066288 miles.

Octane

Reaction score
That's funny. i have a couple of GM auto technician friends that say the very same thing about Fords.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 066288 miles.
Yep.About all of them.He also said they were all built cheap cheap.He would run his till they just quit in the road.lol. He hated to spend anything other than oil changes on anything.He would say the rest can just go to crap.Then you have other people that seem to spend every nickel on their cars and seem to like it

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There's a reason contractors buy Fords. And it ain't smooth ride, durability, or reliability. And Ford knows exactly what it is. I know a bunch of contractors around here.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
have a buddy with 220,000 miles on a 09 sport changed the oil between 10 and 15,000 miles, runs the cheapest 87 gas he can find and has always left mds on- runs perfect engine is still silent

it’s luck of the draw

That is good to hear! Exactly what I have 09 Sport 5.7 Hemi. Hope mine makes it that far still running that good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
we had a 454 ss camaro, the vega was just faster in the 1/4 mile. Like I said it was blown with nitrous or something along those lines. He had everything going for it as well, great gearing great tire set up beefy rears, and it was straight hooked to the ground. Personally the 454 camaro was my favorite car of all time and still is, maybe tied with a 350 camaro these days I'm less about power, but this vega was untouchable, not even the Judge could tough it. I spent a couple runs in that Judge as well, it was a neck snapper. Mind you this, this town is where they filmed american graffitii just a few years before I graduated high school. Everyone had a muscle car, I had a 69 chevele but my first car was an early version a souped up 4 banger, a capri, don't laugh that thing had kick.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Guess no one ram a Chevelle 454 SS against that Vega.

Had one of those back in the day. 1970 Chevelle SS 454. Red with black stripes, black vinyl top, and black interior. ****** headers, Edelbrock Tarantula intake with a Holley 850 double pumper, Crane cam, 4:56 gears, ladder bars, Turbo 400 with shift kit and 3000 stall converter. Car would run, but well set up Vega's with a small block were nasty...a lot of weight difference to overcome.

Last edited:

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
we had a 454 ss camaro, the vega was just faster in the 1/4 mile. Like I said it was blown with nitrous or something along those lines. He had everything going for it as well, great gearing great tire set up beefy rears, and it was straight hooked to the ground. Personally the 454 camaro was my favorite car of all time and still is, maybe tied with a 350 camaro these days I'm less about power, but this vega was untouchable, not even the Judge could tough it. I spent a couple runs in that Judge as well, it was a neck snapper. Mind you this, this town is where they filmed american graffitii just a few years before I graduated high school. Everyone had a muscle car, I had a 69 chevele but my first car was an early version a souped up 4 banger, a capri, don't laugh that thing had kick.
Also had a GTO Judge back in the day. 1969 Carousel Red (orange) with a black interior, Ram Air IV 400, 4 speed, all stock...very fast car! Paid $1100 for it back in 1973. Good God, I had so many bad*** cars back then. What they would be worth today!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My Buddies was silver if I remember correctly it had the black hard top, and I can tell you from first hand knowledge it took a 1/4 tank every time we raced. To make it worse, I was usually in the back seat, I literally don't know what the hell I was thinking, lol. Every time a race was offered, the question was always can we all pitch in enough for the gas.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My Buddies was silver if I remember correctly it had the black hard top, and I can tell you from first hand knowledge it took a 1/4 tank every time we raced. To make it worse, I was usually in the back seat, I literally don't know what the hell I was thinking, lol. Every time a race was offered, the question was always can we all pitch in enough for the gas.
You always wanted the big guy in the back seat on the pass side,lol