Well that was unexpected ! Lifter gone 52,000 miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
How about the chevy Vaga, aluminum block with pressed in cylinder cast iron sleeves, when the block got hot the aluminum expanded and the sleaves would float, they were big time oil burners so much that the oil pressure sending unit would control the electric fuel pump in the tank, low oil pressure would shut the fuel pump down so no start.
Only thing a Vega was ever good for was a V8 and a run down the track.lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
the fastest car in our high school was a v8 vega, blown or some cht I cant remember the details, dude was unbeatable.

Octane

Reaction score
Lot of small novas and Chevy II's in the the 60s and the Vega and Monzas in the 70's we're good with v8's.Most were wrecked trying to handle the things.I had a 67 shoebox Nova,327 350hp and a stick.It survived till it was sold and the next guy wrecked,put the right front wheel almost under the passenger floorboards! Wiped out that entire front end. Hot *d*o*gg*in it and skidding off the highway into the trees will do it every time usually.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Chevy Chevelle SuperSport. Fastest Car in town - wouldn't reveal all he did to it. Painted pumpkin orange.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That was my second car, but it was a dog, the smaller engine and all stock. Sold it to my friend when I went into the army, he blew it up doing over 100 the first day he got it, the fool. Maybe 120-130, who knows I wasnt there. 69 chevelle, it was a great high school car, man cars had so much room in those days as well.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
my 2013 durango hemi with 135k miles had the tick to start and I heard it ... "its making a noise" then it threw misfire on cylinder 7. the mechanic looked at it and its a bad lifter, which dug out the cam and i guess threw metal into the VVT screen too, punching a big hole and now he (& others) are saying the engine is toast since it has so much metal through it now. esshh was just going to sell it before this happened. i got an estimate for $12k for remanuf engine (engine & labor....unk ETA because company for engine is so far behind...)
I would throw the BS flag on its toast due to metal shavings. Engine blocks are full of metal shavings when manufactured due all the machining. They are cleaned and then assembled. Now the metal shavings may have scored some bearings but the oil filter usually catches almost all of it. The metal shavings produced by the lifter failure are mostly swept into the oil pan by the mist of oil flowing around the lifter valley / crankcase.

We always used Tide to wash down freshly machined blocks, cranks, etc. Flushed out the oil galleries with it pushed by compressed air. Used compressed air to dry and followed it up compressed air / oil mixture.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Dodge has had issues with valve train ticking for years. Last hemi I owned was 04 1500, it developed Tick around 30k. I used Penzoil for ever and never experienced engine failure. That truck had 187k on it with all original parts. Oil industry has many standards as indicated on container. It’s always best to stick with the factory recommendations. Everyone has stories and successes as well as lemon trucks. Just because you have a tick isn’t alarm for overhaul. Keep changing the oil and if concerned add some STP oil treatment every other oil change. My experience with treatments though may cause more issues down the road. Many people do not pay attention to API and SAE rating, and believe they know more then the engineers that develop oil and engines. Manufactures spend millions testing engines under all conditions. In the end they select oil ratings that provide the best results for that particular build. Bottom line, if it works for you stick with it.

wcg1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Currently overseas and my wife sends me a video of her 2016 Ram 5.7 with only 52,000 miles on it and it's making a racket. She said she was driving home and suddenly heard a loud tick sound and the truck lost a little power. She drove it the additional 5 miles to the house and parked it. Never had a lifter tick before. Mobil one 5-30 and the same Mopar factory filters and Mobil 1 filters I use on my Scat Pack Challenger. I have changed the oil and filter regularly in the truck 12 times. I'm obsessive and keep great records. I even changed it once because I was bored! No mods. It's my wife's truck and she drives like a normal human being. I can only figure defective part . its about 3 months out of warranty. I guess I'll tear into it when I get home in 30 days. I know it's a tired subject but I think mine is a little different in that it was driven only 52,000 miles. I'd enjoy hear everyone's thoughts on a 52,000 mile truck that wiped a lifter. Have you seen a low mileage truck wipe one out like this before?

https://youtu.be/B80dpi4wSlY
I have a 2003 5.7 hemi that dropped a lifter spring when i had 30,000. miles on it had it replaced and now i have 176,000 miles on it. Sometimes you get a bad spring in the bach they make. I don't think it will be that bad of a job to fix. I don't think your oil had anything to do with it.

tsawyer1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine started at 57k started out as a squeaking noise only thing I can think of is the needle bearing seizing very frustrated as I have maintained this motor meticulously.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does Mobil 1 even meet Chrysler spec? I didn't think it did, so I did not use it. Using PUP.
For the .6.4 hemi it did NOT meet the Former ms#12633 which is now superseded by #A0921 standard. Only oil that did was Pennzoil Ultra Plat NOT the euro addition. Look on back of bottle for Chrysler standards. Wondering if the 5.7 is using same oil?

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
I use PUP 5w20 every 5000 miles ALONG with Tech-Moly (Germany). Have to find it but there’s a video on YT explaining exactly how the oil reaches lifter bearings. In the Hemi’s. Always wondered why Ram says 20 weight and it’s because it’s supposedly the only way it can reach certain areas.

CJSRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Stock Big Horn currently at 61,500. It always made some low noise knocks here and there reminded me of forged pistons in a way. Also would get an occaisional tap on cold starts. Long story short the truck was running fine but I figured I'm getting up there near the 60K mark might as well have it looked at. The dealer told me they couldnt look at it for another 2 weeks but to bring it in and they will open up a ticket so it is under warranty, I got it in @ 59,744. I was debating bringing it in good thing I did they confirmed cylinder 3&5 had lifter failure and also the other bank was making noise. They replaced the cam and all lifters and gaskets and 2 exhaust maifold bolts. I asked to get all the exhaust bolts fixed but they only replaced what was broken. I always used Penzoil UP and filter was either OEM or Fram UG. The only time the engine got non synthetic is when the delaership did the "free" oil change. While I take care of the truck as best as possible the only thing perhpas I did wrong is to change the oil when the computer told me to. Synthetic should be fine for 6-8 K mile intervals but I'm going to stick to 5K intervals from now on with this engine. Makes me wonder how much longer it would have lasted as the noise was very easy to miss and I'm sure most would. Perhaps this is why so many don't notice until it gets worse? Bottom line I think no matter what you do short of not using correct oil and not changing within the specified interval , it's gonna happen if you have a bad lifter. Does anyone know if the lifters and cams used for the repairs are a new part or same ol' S .... My service managr told me they were redesigned the technician said it's the same!!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have a 2017 Stock Big Horn currently at 61,500. It always made some low noise knocks here and there reminded me of forged pistons in a way. Also would get an occaisional tap on cold starts. Long story short the truck was running fine but I figured I'm getting up there near the 60K mark might as well have it looked at. The dealer told me they couldnt look at it for another 2 weeks but to bring it in and they will open up a ticket so it is under warranty, I got it in @ 59,744. I was debating bringing it in good thing I did they confirmed cylinder 3&5 had lifter failure and also the other bank was making noise. They replaced the cam and all lifters and gaskets and 2 exhaust maifold bolts. I asked to get all the exhaust bolts fixed but they only replaced what was broken. I always used Penzoil UP and filter was either OEM or Fram UG. The only time the engine got non synthetic is when the delaership did the "free" oil change. While I take care of the truck as best as possible the only thing perhpas I did wrong is to change the oil when the computer told me to. Synthetic should be fine for 6-8 K mile intervals but I'm going to stick to 5K intervals from now on with this engine. Makes me wonder how much longer it would have lasted as the noise was very easy to miss and I'm sure most would. Perhaps this is why so many don't notice until it gets worse? Bottom line I think no matter what you do short of not using correct oil and not changing within the specified interval , it's gonna happen if you have a bad lifter. Does anyone know if the lifters and cams used for the repairs are a new part or same ol' S .... My service managr told me they were redesigned the technician said it's the same!!

Wow, that's interesting. Suggest spiking your PUP with Lubegard to get the moly additive up, or changing straight out to Red Line.

What I recall about ALLPAR announcements was 2017 model year trucks received valve lifters from a new vendor with upgraded design intended to reduce failures. Obviously your truck didn't care! I have heard of no lifter changes since.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How about the chevy Vaga, aluminum block with pressed in cylinder cast iron sleeves, when the block got hot the aluminum expanded and the sleaves would float, they were big time oil burners so much that the oil pressure sending unit would control the electric fuel pump in the tank, low oil pressure would shut the fuel pump down so no start.
Actually, the Vega engine had no sleeves. The cylinder walls were impregnated with a form of silicone. If the engine overheated at all, the silicone would disperse, and the rings would be sliding on bare aluminum.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 066009 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From all the research I've done, I'm confident it's a lack of lubrication on the roller of the lifter. This really became an issue when they raised the camshaft in the Gen IV's, with no additional lubrication to support. This push-rod engine is a very old design, using ultra modern low Moly oils like Mobil-1 will speed up this issue. I believe most people that use older or higher moly based oils are having more success (Redline, etc). Oils that have higher wetability (Thicker) will most likely also help. What I don't understand is why FCA doesn't just place some oil injection up there. I'm guessing by the latest vehicle sales, they have no incentive to fix it. I'm wiling to wager a bet the next generation will have oil injection directly on the camshaft.
Moly is harder to hold in suspension, which is why many packaged motor oils rely on Zinc dithiophosphate. Moly tends to settle and on cold starts isn't available in the flow for awhile.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 066009 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Moly is harder to hold in suspension, which is why many packaged motor oils rely on Zinc dithiophosphate. Moly tends to settle and on cold starts isn't available in the flow for awhile.

Regards,
Dusty

There's technical detail on this in the Synthetic Oil Thread. Moly for solution is not the dry form MoS2, it is MoDTC. This does go into solution and is reformed into MoS2 dry film lubricant under stress and heat, i.e. - @ boundary lubrication surfaces such as cam and lifter. I takes a while for this action to plate enough out. ZDDP zinc additive is also triggered by boundary lubrication heat, but is an interstitial that very slowly eats at the surface as a sacrificial layer. Similar to the sulfur / chlorine / phosphorous EP additive in gear oil, but milder and slower.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
@CJSRAM It is so nice to hear of a positive dealer experience from time to time. You did well!! I mean.. How sweet is that? Did they charge you for anything? You almost never hear of anyone getting exhaust manifold bolts covered, even if the truck is still under the 5yr/60K power-train warranty.

I have a felling if I rolled into any of my local Ram/Jeep dealers at ~59K miles with my 2019 Ram 1500 classic with no blatantly obvious issues, I'd simply be sent on my way. I'm just shy of 50K miles already on my 2019 too. I do change my oil when the oil life monitor gets to ~50%, which is about 5000 miles for me. If I rode the OLM right down to 0% life remaining, I'd have about 10K miles on my oil/filter.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Because of the OP's concerns/issues, I use this religiously along with PUP 5w-20 and Genuine Mopar 5038041AA Oil Filter (used on Viper etc.) This is also one of the reasons why I still have stock exhaust-so I can HEAR any "ticking". My motto is "if it's not broke don't fix it" but later down the line a supercharged 6.2 is going in my Ram (no MDS lifters) if it's last thing I do! But for now I'll keep babying this one.

Every oil change! Like feeding a deer corn!
Liqui-Moly_.jpg

6-2_hemi.jpg