what are you 4.7 guys/gals doing exhaust wise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlTheKiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a buddy at work that was going to bring in a single chamber flowmaster and a viper muffler to try out on my truck so i pulled the exhaust off in anticipation. it sounds pretty damn good like that but ive been hearing people say itll decrease my fuel economy and that its bad for the motor due to lack of back pressure. so i put the stock exhaust back on since the guy keeps forgetting to bring in the mufflers. is there any truth to what was said about the decrease in mpg and the back pressure thing?

ive only ever had my jeep and its quite a bit different, so im still learning the whole ram thing :crazy:

if i do go with a muffler i was thinking of giving the flowmaster super 40 a try

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
With our 4.7 '09 Dak there were two mufflers and a resonator stock.

We simply removed the lower muffler and left the 1st and resonator in the exhaust flow.

Sounds pretty nummy :)

OP
OP
A

AlTheKiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine seemed to go headers, pipe, cats, pipe, single HUGE muffler, pipe, then a resonator if im not mistaken.

when i took mine off it was after the cats. so it lost the muffler and resonator

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
On our's the resonator was near the tip so it was able to be left in w/o issues. Looking at it it looked almost exactly like an Aero resonator.

Good luck finding a combo you like :)

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Im just running a regular ol FM 40series. I want to replace it sometime soon.... Thinking of going with the Magnaflow y-pipe (the most restrictive part of our exhaust) into a si/do cherry bomb extreme.

From everything Ive heard/read, we do have backpressure issues with our 4-7s, moreso than some other vehicles anyways. If you wanted to run a "true dual" setup, you'd have to run some sort of midpipe to add a little BP to the system.

BAMA BOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liters of fire breathing fury!
mine just has a y pipe ive got a video floating around here somewhere its loud

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
im running a f/m 40 also, plan to replace quite a bit of the exhaust when some funds arrive for it....may head on over to the magnaflow side of things....

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet the 4.7 would sound great with a Borla XR1 muffler. I know I like it on my hemi, and I think the 4.7s sound better than the hemi anyway.

BlackRam_305

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'm running the Flowmaster 40 series on mine right now, but you can talk to Nick with AIRRAM.com, he has a lot of knowledge on the 4.7's, and I've spoke to him down here in South Florida as he got stationed down here.