What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Anybody on here put in a Transgo tfod-hd2 shift kit? I'm kinda worried about the kit turning my transmission into a manual shift which I don't want and I can't find anything on this subject. I'm a little anxious right now and tomorrow isn't here fast enough to call Transgo.

Nope you're good.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Drove it to school today, pulled into the parking lot and heard a ding. Looked down, check gauges light was on and then went off. Checked oil level after school and there was hardly any on the dip stick. So, since my last oil change around 1500ish miles ago, the truck burned or leaked all its oil.
I did have the plenum fixed by a shop, I would say around 6 months ago. Rough estimate.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? I know it's possible that the plenum failed again..but before I go up and drop it off for them to check it I wanna see if there's other things I should check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Drove it to school today, pulled into the parking lot and heard a ding. Looked down, check gauges light was on and then went off. Checked oil level after school and there was hardly any on the dip stick. So, since my last oil change around 1500ish miles ago, the truck burned or leaked all its oil.
I did have the plenum fixed by a shop, I would say around 6 months ago. Rough estimate.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? I know it's possible that the plenum failed again..but before I go up and drop it off for them to check it I wanna see if there's other things I should check.

No visible leaks I assume? Is there any sign of oil in your coolant?

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
No visible leaks. Will check the coolant when I get home I'm at the store buying oil. Has anyone found a certain oil works best in these trucks? Had valvoline in it before. 10w30 mix

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No visible leaks. Will check the coolant when I get home I'm at the store buying oil. Has anyone found a certain oil works best in these trucks? Had valvoline in it before. 10w30 mix

DD94 and I, possibly more, run Rotella diesel oil in ours. Higher zinc count is good for flat tappet cams. I used to run Penzoil yellow bottle when I ran conventional. Mobil 1 synth is good too. There's plenty of good oils. 10-30 is a good round viscosity. 10-40 would be fine too if you're in a warmer climate.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
DD94 and I, possibly more, run Rotella diesel oil in ours. Higher zinc count is good for flat tappet cams. I used to run Penzoil yellow bottle when I ran conventional. Mobil 1 synth is good too. There's plenty of good oils. 10-30 is a good round viscosity. 10-40 would be fine too if you're in a warmer climate.

Me too. Does the rotella have higher zinc then? I was thinking we had hydraulic roller lifter cams

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
There doesn't appear to be any oil in the coolant

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Truck took about 3 quarts to fill it to a little less than the full line

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
We're his guinea pigs! I bought some lights hes looking at, so I can give him a review lol

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Which lights were those? I remember he was really interested in the round lights on my truck
Seems I'm one of the few free of his control.
I think he's only influenced me on my oil and filter choice. I think..
Truck took about 3 quarts to fill it to a little less than the full line

That.. doesn't sound ideal. Lol. How many miles on your engine..? Any smoke?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum

I'm running Rotella T5 only because I got it $1 cheaper than PYB. Bought a few jugs so when I run out I'll probably switch back to PYB unless its on sale again. No difference noted.

Me too. Does the rotella have higher zinc then? I was thinking we had hydraulic roller lifter cams

Any diesel oil does I believe. And I thought we had flat tappet cams. Someone somewhere told me we did. I'll look though

Yes hydraulic roller tappet

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Which lights were those? I remember he was really interested in the round lights on my truck

I think he's only influenced me on my oil and filter choice. I think..

That.. doesn't sound ideal. Lol. How many miles on your engine..? Any smoke?

Just under 151k. And actually, when we were working with it and it was on an incline there was some white smoke out the tailpipe. After the engine got cold and we started it again it's gone now.
I might have to look into selling it unfortunately

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum