What does this mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
915860AD-D5BA-452E-8DB1-6EFE2C6387F1.jpeg

Had a vibration at around 60mph. Could feel it in my seat and center console. Not the steering wheel. When I left the dealer couldn’t get up to speed to check it, but figured I would do so today. Last night while I was filing away paperwork I saw that on second page. Guy at dealer told me they balanced out perfectly but I will confirm that today. My question is, what does that line that reads “Road Force balancer identifies the tire and rim contributions to radial - force vibration”?

Is that their way of saying they did the best they could but the machine is saying it’s not perfect because of my tire and wheel combination? I have my stock 20’s on the truck with 33x12.5x20 General ATX’s.

I was gonna call the dealer, but I figured I would throw it up on the forum instead. I trust you guys a lot more than I do them.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just means they have good equipment as most don't have a road force balancer. the road force balancer has you move the tire on the rim to get proper balance not just add weights.

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Interesting. Ok. Thanks. Heading to the highway today. That will be the real test. Will post back how good road force was or wasn’t.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I had a similar problem on my 454ss with the goodyear eagle radials. The tires were out - of -round from the factory. It got to the point that I had to change out the tire sets 3 times before I found a brand that knew how to make round tires. I'm surprised to read that your having this problem today, 30 years later with what appears to be the same condition. You can check this yourself. Jack up the rear axle (both wheels) and put it in drive. watch the tires turning and check the edge of the tread. If that tire is out of round you will see it. Front is a little harder you need to spin the front tires to check. I'll never forget the looks I got when I was trying fix this. When I asked the tire dealer if their tires were round they thought I was nuts until I explained the problem. Good luck!

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The road force balance was definitely worth it. Got rid of that vibration at around 60mph completely.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very true...Not al wheels or tires are truly round , wheels have a tolerance that is allowed and the same with tires. All manufactured parts have a min/max tolerance. Changing the position of the tire on the wheel can solve some problems with vibration that is caused by being out of round not out of balance.. Glad to hear they knew what to look for and got it solved..