What motor oil and oil filter do you use and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2014 exfleet truck with 119K and a ton of idle hours, ticks like mad (but also have broken manifold bolts) so switched to 7.5 qts of 5W30 Redline with RP 20-820 filter as per suggestions on this forum.
Sounds worse now but I know that can happen, only about 400 miles since the switch so fingers crossed. Truck runs great, just noisy.

Please keep us updated, my first redline it was ticking like a sewing machine at 400 miles as well, then a little later the tick just disappeared. Please vote the correct way in the redline thread, give it to 1,000 miles, if it is still ticking vote that way in the poll, all we want is accurate info to get accurate success/failure rates. Burla's fingers crossed for ya...

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
I use Mobile 1 filters and Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w30 in my 2011 1500 with the 5.7L. Seems to like it. Really I think it's a matter of personal opinion and tastes with all the upper level oils and filters. Just as long as you aren't using Fram filters and Citgo oil......

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Yes they do. I am referring to they're standard economy line. No offense meant.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
OP
big daddys house

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hay Adam I've been following your build, I'm using Redline 5w30 full sync with Lube Gard Bio tech 15oz bottle and a SRT filter, I'm hoping to avoid the dreaded Hemi Tick, I run with MDS off at all times, I'm going to use a Wix XP next.
Thanks for the support brother.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Did you ever get photos/video of the original lifters and cam?

Were you guilty of letting the truck idle warm for extended periods and/or going near 8-10k miles before changing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
big daddys house

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever get photos/video of the original lifters and cam?

Were you guilty of letting the truck idle warm for extended periods and/or going near 8-10k miles before changing?
Unfortunately I never could get a hold of any pictures...
I did my oil changes every 6,000 mi and I previously was using Valvoline full synthetic 5W-20.
I do have remote start, so I am guilty of letting the car warm up for 10 minutes almost every single morning......

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
I guess I must be fortunate. I have had 2 5.7 Ram Hemi's, a 2003 and a 2013. Both had over 100,000 mile when the vehicles were replaced.
The 2003 went 7500 miles between oil/filter changes. The 2013 got changed at 10,000 mile intervals. I used Walmart Supertech 5w30 full synthetic oil in both with Supertech oil filters. Never experienced any ticking or any other oil/lubrication related problems with either truck.

I should also note that I tow heavy and frequently averaging about 5-7000 miles per year towing.

I now have a 6.7 Cummins and if Supertech made the proper oil for a Cummins diesel I would consider it.

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm running to Napa in a bit to pick up an oil filter for my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 hemi. I'll run my usual Supertech full synthetic 5w30 in it. I ran that in my pentastar powered Ram 1500 along with Napa full synthetic and Amazon basics.

I haven't decided how often I want to change the oil on the hemi. I'm thinking 5000-ish miles at the moment. LOL. On the pentastar, I couldn't bring myself go go beyond 6-7K miles. Even at that the oil life monitor would still be at like 30% life left.

I have no idea if 5w30 is better or worse for a modern day Hemi vs the 5w20. Having looked over data where people actually run used oil analysis, they both shear down to about the same in the end.

My 2019 was just purchased as an ex-rental w/ 15K miles on it. It hasn't had but 1, maybe 2 oil changes on it at this point. I'm leaning towards 1.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Castrol syn 5w30 and Mopar 399 filter every 8-10k miles I'll let the oil light tell me when. Why? Nothing special really. I like to stick with factory oil filters and Castrol is always cheaper at Walmart compared to AutoZone. :) Truck has almost 90k miles. MDS disabled at around 50k via tuning. Don't have any issues. She has ticked couple of times on cold starts in 2 years.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running to Napa in a bit to pick up an oil filter for my new to me 2019 Ram 1500 hemi. I'll run my usual Supertech full synthetic 5w30 in it. I ran that in my pentastar powered Ram 1500 along with Napa full synthetic and Amazon basics.

I haven't decided how often I want to change the oil on the hemi. I'm thinking 5000-ish miles at the moment. LOL. On the pentastar, I couldn't bring myself go go beyond 6-7K miles. Even at that the oil life monitor would still be at like 30% life left.

I have no idea if 5w30 is better or worse for a modern day Hemi vs the 5w20. Having looked over data where people actually run used oil analysis, they both shear down to about the same in the end.

My 2019 was just purchased as an ex-rental w/ 15K miles on it. It hasn't had but 1, maybe 2 oil changes on it at this point. I'm leaning towards 1.

From what I gather, it’s not so much the weight the oil that makes the 5W-30 better, it’s the supposed fact that the 5W-30 has a lot more molly in it, among a lot more of the other anti-wear additives is why the general consensus of this forum says that 5W-30 is so much better than 5W-20.

Not condemning you at all, but I’m assuming you’re not worried about possible repercussions with your warranty by running that 5W-30 in it instead of the 5W-20?

I’ve got lifetime warranty on mine and even though I’ve been told that I could very easily put 5W-30 in it and just show that I’ve been putting 5W-20 in it being that there’s really not any way for them to verify that you’ve been using the right viscosity of oil but I just figure since it’s got a lifetime warranty, I might as well just put in the required oil weight and call it good.

I may stick with the PUP, but I’m also really interested in that Chrysler-compliant Redline 5W-20 that they have now just because the red bottle Redline is so highly regarded on this forum.

Money’s not an issue when it comes to oil in my truck, even though I do have lifetime warranty because I still would just rather not have to fall victim to the cam and lifter problem that would lead to a new engine in my truck. I’d still rather give it the good stuff even though if anything ever happens to my engine, it’s only gonna cost me about 100 bucks to have it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not condemning you at all, but I’m assuming you’re not worried about possible repercussions with your warranty by running that 5W-30 in it instead of the 5W-20?

No, not in the least.

Like we talk about in these threads, I suppose warranty issues could arise if I had a lubrication related failure within 5yrs/60K miles, but I'm not sure I've ever read of a denial based on 5w30 being used instead of 5w20.

Kinda-sorta related... The cool thing about buying an ex-rental is you have some recourse with the rental company as well. On a Nissan Pathfinder board I frequent, there was a fella with an ex-rental 2017 that had an engine failure. When the dealer opened up the engine they found excessive sludge and denied warranty coverage even though the guy had records of regular oil changes since he owned it. As a last ditch effort he contacted the rental co he bought the vehicle from about it. They paid for the engine replacement thru the Nissan dealer.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, not in the least.

Like we talk about in these threads, I suppose warranty issues could arise if I had a lubrication related failure within 5yrs/60K miles, but I'm not sure I've ever read of a denial based on 5w30 being used instead of 5w20.

I can’t right off hand remember if I have either but that’s just it, you gotta be able to look at it fourth-dimensionally because even though they probably know it themselves that 5W-30 engine oil is not gonna hurt your engine when even when supposedly they say that the MDS system in the 6.4 is pretty much identical to what’s in the smaller 5.7‘s and that they use a 40 weight oil in the 392, it’s all part of the fact that that’s how they set the truck up which means that if there was a way to get out of having to buy you a new engine, that would be a score in their book if they could use you not following the manufactures recommendation against you.

Of course, unless they can prove in a courtroom that 5W-30 engine oil messed your motor up, they really ain’t got a leg to stand on but on the other hand, when you sign that contract, it’s possible they could come back and say well, irregardless of what the scientific mumbo jumbo says, if they say 5W-20 oil is wants to be used then there shouldn’t be anything that would stop them from denying the warranty if they found out to use for something else.

Kinda-sorta related... The cool thing about buying an ex-rental is you have some recourse with the rental company as well. On a Nissan Pathfinder board I frequent, there was a fella with an ex-rental 2017 that had an engine failure. When the dealer opened up the engine they found excessive sludge and denied warranty coverage even though the guy had records of regular oil changes since he owned it. As a last ditch effort he contacted the rental co he bought the vehicle from about it. They paid for the engine replacement thru the Nissan dealer.

That’s nice that that rental company came back and bought his new motor but what’s funny is that if they did all those oil changes when they were supposed to then how come the oil was so sludgy?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s nice that that rental company came back and bought his new motor but what’s funny is that if they did all those oil changes when they were supposed to then how come the oil was so sludgy?

I'm pretty sure that is exactly WHY they bought the new engine. Had the oil been changed at noted intervals, it would not have been sludged up. It would seem someone was pencil whipping the records and not doing the work. They paid to keep the customer happy and quiet I reckon, and good on them. They could have very well said the warranty was not their issue.

As for the OP, I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 and a Wix filter, and I change the oil when the computer says to (around 10k miles). I have towed a trailer once (maybe twice) with this truck in 3 years, so it doesn't exactly get worked regularly. With modern synthetic oils, and modern engines, 10k miles is no issue. No particular reason for brands other than Mobile 1 is good oil and Wix makes good filters. I've used both for years in many different vehicles. 2017 with almost 70k miles on it, and it runs like a top. Only one time when I cranked it, it had what I would categorize as a "tick", and it lasted about 2 seconds. That was months ago, and it's never done it again.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Mobil 1 or Castrol Biosynthetic 5w20 (whichever is available/on sale/etc) and a Mopar oil filter. I have zero start-up tick. No way to tell if those things are related but it's my experience.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

So that's the thing.. The 2017+ Nissan Pathfinders use a new direct injected engine. The VQ35DD. They really blacken the motor oil quickly. I'm talking old diesel engine black. Like within 1000 miles. Nissan says change it every 5000mi, but I can't bring myself to go beyond 3000 with my 2019 Pathfinder because of this.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm pretty sure that is exactly WHY they bought the new engine. Had the oil been changed at noted intervals, it would not have been sludged up. It would seem someone was pencil whipping the records and not doing the work. They paid to keep the customer happy and quiet I reckon, and good on them. They could have very well said the warranty was not their issue.

As for the OP, I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 and a Wix filter, and I change the oil when the computer says to (around 10k miles). I have towed a trailer once (maybe twice) with this truck in 3 years, so it doesn't exactly get worked regularly. With modern synthetic oils, and modern engines, 10k miles is no issue. No particular reason for brands other than Mobile 1 is good oil and Wix makes good filters. I've used both for years in many different vehicles. 2017 with almost 70k miles on it, and it runs like a top. Only one time when I cranked it, it had what I would categorize as a "tick", and it lasted about 2 seconds. That was months ago, and it's never done it again.
While Mobil 1 is an excellent oil it doesn't list the FCA MS - 6395 spec. I don't know if they would try to hold that against you if you had engine issues under the powertrain warranty.

mrOAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've put about 500 miles on the recent oil change of Redline 5w30 and the RP filter. It sounds smoother now than before from what I can tell. I'm not a mechanic so my laymans ears is telling me so :)

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 exfleet truck with 119K and a ton of idle hours, ticks like mad (but also have broken manifold bolts) so switched to 7.5 qts of 5W30 Redline with RP 20-820 filter as per suggestions on this forum.
Sounds worse now but I know that can happen, only about 400 miles since the switch so fingers crossed. Truck runs great, just noisy.
That’s the norm with Redline, gets quieter as you go.