what speed am i going?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
there it is.... my every day hot rod.. no mods.. every thing stock... ill time the mile markers this saturday and fill everyone in

OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
Did @BWL response not cover the issue? Is the cluster reading not the speed that it is set at vs. an actual live reading?
all i know is that when i am driving on the highway and the speedo shows me going 60 mph and i set the cruise control, the indicator light comes on and says set at 57 mph.. i would think that it would set at 60 if that is the speed the speedo shows

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like the 57 is a setting and the 60 is a fluctuation. I don't know, you should be able to see fluctuations occurring though with hills, wind, etc. If no such conditions exist, sounds like something else is up.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have the premium 7” cluster screen? If so pull up the digital speedometer and see if that jives with your regular speedometer. Otherwise, like BWL and MarshRam said, you’ve got your set “Target” cruise control speed, then fluctuations for hills and wind

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
mine does the same but it shows the speed that it is set at.. ill try to snap a pic of it when im cruising down the highway this weekend

I looked thru the 2014 owners manual and didn't see mention of it. MY 2012 manual calls it the same thing...'cruise indicator light".

To check for variations due to wind/hills etc, get the speedo doing 60, set the cruise, which per your post will say 57, then bump it up 1 mph at a time by holding the resume button for 1 sec, and see if the speedo goes up each time like the 'set' speed does.

If it does, you know your speedo is off or your cruise is for some reason setting it low.

I know I have checked my truck via GPS several different ways (phone, separate H/H GPS, etc), and if the cruise is set to 60 mph, that is what I am doing.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity does your speedo dial match your digital speedo in the cluster? I'm not sure if the dial is fed information differently than the cluster one. Meaning a speedo gear or digital pick up off transmission vs a GPS tracking. If the 2 differ that may cause the discrepancy. Anybody running 37s who hasn't calibrated should know the answer to this. It still may be normal, but perhaps not.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Out of curiosity does your speedo dial match your digital speedo in the cluster? I'm not sure if the dial is fed information differently than the cluster one. Meaning a speedo gear or digital pick up off transmission vs a GPS tracking. If the 2 differ that may cause the discrepancy. Anybody running 37s who hasn't calibrated should know the answer to this. It still may be normal, but perhaps not.
They are all fed their information from the same source, which is actually the ABS wheel speed sensors, not the transmission. So, if it end up his dial is ACTUALLY reading different than the digital speedometer, and there are no fault codes stored, then I would say the dial is off.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have navigation on your truck? If so, go to nav and click on information then click trip computer. It'll use gps to show you're actual speed. I used a Hypertech speedo calibrator after I added a lift and 35s and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
Do you have navigation on your truck? If so, go to nav and click on information then click trip computer. It'll use gps to show you're actual speed. I used a Hypertech speedo calibrator after I added a lift and 35s and it worked perfectly.
no navigation in the truck.. im gonna check the digital speedometer tomorrow also when i go for a drive like "jimmy07" suggests

OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
OK, here we go.... first off i wrote it up opposite of what is happening... cruise set at 60 mph and speedo reading 57 mph as per picture.. cruise control set at 65 speedo reading about 61-62 mph.... the digita speed is right.. i timed the mile markers on the highway at digital setting of 60 mph and went 1 mile in 60 seconds... so, the dial speedo is the one that is off... any suggestions on what to do (if anything)
sorry for the blurred pictures

speedo 1.jpg

speedo 3.jpg

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leave the digital speedo function up and completely ignore the analog speedo... I haven't looked at the analog speedo since my first truck with the digital in the center. Where the analog is positioned in the cluster, it's not really the most convenient to look at anyway.