what speed am i going?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
hi, new to the forum and first post... i bought a used 2014 ram 1500 sport... 33k miles... truck runs great... when im on the highway at 60 mph (according to the speedometer) and put the cruise control on, the cruise indicator on dash says im going 57 mph...which one is right? anyone have this problem and what can i do about it?

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I can think of is go to get your speedometer calibrated or have the dealership look at it to see what isnt connecting to match. This is a very broad form of an answer and others will have way more info but this is at least something you can look into in the time being.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any mods on the truck? I haven't heard anyone mention this issue yet. I would think calibrated or not they would both read the same. But if mods could play a role, someone who may know the answer might want to know if there are mods, if tires are calibrated and maybe what was used to calibrate.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Next time you're on the interstate, set your cruise control. It doesn't matter what speed but 60 mph is an easy one to calculate.

With the CC set, have a passenger pull up the stop watch app on their phone. (Old school way is to use a watch second hand.) Have them time the seconds between two Mile Markers. If you set the CC at 60 mph, it should take you exactly 60 second or a mile a min.

If you set the CC at 60 mph and they mark the time between markers as say 55 seconds, here's the math to figure your "Real" speed.

3600 / 55 = 65.45 (If your speedometer said 60, it's 5.45 mph off.)

Divide 3600 (Seconds in 1 hour) by your time in seconds between MM's.

You can do this at any speed, you just need a set flat speed and a one mile run you can time.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"cruise indicator light"

Ok....I have a 2012....and on mine, there is a speedo, and a cruise indicator down by the odometer that looks similar to a speedo.........but the cruise indicator ONLY indicates that the cruise is engaged...it DOES NOT indicate speed.

If cruise is engaged, the arrow points to the speedo looking symbol. (cruise set)..if not, the speedo looking symbol is there, but no arrow (cruise ready).

I can see no reason why the cruise & speedo wouldn't use the same exact signal from the transmission.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The cruise speed indicator is your set speed that you choose, but it'll vary a bit going down and up hills for example. The speedo is your actual speed. This of course assumes your speedo is calibrated, but you'll see a difference between set and actually speed regardless.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Must be new then, as mine doesn't show set speed....only speedo speed.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know what year they added it. My 2017 has it. My 2011 does not

OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
Next time you're on the interstate, set your cruise control. It doesn't matter what speed but 60 mph is an easy one to calculate.

With the CC set, have a passenger pull up the stop watch app on their phone. (Old school way is to use a watch second hand.) Have them time the seconds between two Mile Markers. If you set the CC at 60 mph, it should take you exactly 60 second or a mile a min.

If you set the CC at 60 mph and they mark the time between markers as say 55 seconds, here's the math to figure your "Real" speed.

3600 / 55 = 65.45 (If your speedometer said 60, it's 5.45 mph off.)

Divide 3600 (Seconds in 1 hour) by your time in seconds between MM's.

You can do this at any speed, you just need a set flat speed and a one mile run you can time.
i did think of that and was gonna do it this weedend with my wife in the truck with her stop watch on her phone and time the mile markers for one mile... i should know witch on is tell the truth at that point

OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
Do you have any mods on the truck? I haven't heard anyone mention this issue yet. I would think calibrated or not they would both read the same. But if mods could play a role, someone who may know the answer might want to know if there are mods, if tires are calibrated and maybe what was used to calibrate.
no mods on the truck.. ill try to post pics of truck.

OP
OP
len gallagher

len gallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V-8
Ok....I have a 2012....and on mine, there is a speedo, and a cruise indicator down by the odometer that looks similar to a speedo.........but the cruise indicator ONLY indicates that the cruise is engaged...it DOES NOT indicate speed.

If cruise is engaged, the arrow points to the speedo looking symbol. (cruise set)..if not, the speedo looking symbol is there, but no arrow (cruise ready).

I can see no reason why the cruise & speedo wouldn't use the same exact signal from the transmission.
mine does the same but it shows the speed that it is set at.. ill try to snap a pic of it when im cruising down the highway this weekend