Where and what to buy, Red Line oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bit off subject but since we did bring them up as a site vendor here providing the Redline...

Shout out to the crew at GotExhaust.com .

Ordered Redline and it showed up within 48 hours, and a bit less than current Amazon pricing. Had auto-email alerts on the order status along the way.

Thanks for packaging up the RAM offerings and the great service!

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We all should be on the same team, trying to find answers for the hole fca put us in with these hemis and hemi tick and cam/lifters. There are some real answers for this as we have proven for a decade right here and only here our own ram forum. 100's of guys who have tested many things, let's accept the results of so many who took the time and energy to share their results. If one oil makes your truck tick and one keeps the tick away, use that oil whatever it is. One oil is sitting on the top of the heep, and it isn't hype but rather it is science.

Redline oil is the one oil that uses line 2 and 5 of chart below for their base oils paired with a sick level of molybdenum and zinc. As it turns out the difference between the base oils and levels of moly compared to other oils that use average moly and group 3 oil surely makes a difference in most hemi's. For those who actually want to know more there are plenty of threads on the matter. One guy can lie or skew info, but we are way past that, this is a ram forum thing, together thanks to massive testing, we came up real answers for hemi tick.

edca8_Images_ML31106_1234x694_02182019_extra_large.jpg
Does the mds have to be deleted in order to run the redline 5w30 in my ram 1500???

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A large % of ram forum use 30 weight or higher in mds hemi with no issues, here is the poll.
I'm having issues running the redline with the mds on but when I turn it off it runs perfect...with it on it turns my traction control off on its on and check engine light came on...what should I do?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Change to PUP 5w20 and see if it still happens, might want to toss some poor man's redline (lubegard biotech) to get moly up, and that product viscosity is a little lower then 5w20 so you should have no viscosity issues if that is what is going on.

Or run in tow haul all the time, or tune off mds.

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Change to PUP 5w20 and see if it still happens, might want to toss some poor man's redline (lubegard biotech) to get moly up, and that product viscosity is a little lower then 5w20 so you should have no viscosity issues if that is what is going on.

Or run in tow haul all the time, or tune off mds.
Ok im running it in mds off right now it drives fine but now I have a check engine light on...what is pup? I will scan the code soon as i make it home

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, or alternatively PP is Pennzoil Platinum. FCA's preferred oil and 5w20 their preferred weight.

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, or alternatively PP is Pennzoil Platinum. FCA's preferred oil and 5w20 their preferred weight.
Ok thank u im fairly new to this stuff

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bit off subject but since we did bring them up as a site vendor here providing the Redline...

Shout out to the crew at GotExhaust.com .

Ordered Redline and it showed up within 48 hours, and a bit less than current Amazon pricing. Had auto-email alerts on the order status along the way.

Thanks for packaging up the RAM offerings and the great service!

Thank you for the shout out. We appreciate the feedback and kind words.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Pennzoil just as good. Why must we have to track more expensive oil down. I don’t know but when you get rid of old Betsy, was it really worth it?? JMO

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pennzoil just as good. Why must we have to track more expensive oil down. I don’t know but when you get rid of old Betsy, was it really worth it?? JMO

Pennzoil is a fine oil. Have you read the results of the poll in my sig on redline? There is another poll about lube gard biotech as well, with similar results, not quite as good % of hemi with hemi tick that had that tick killed with that formula, but still very good results.

So bottom line as ram forum has tested these products kill hemi tick and a very high success rate. It really has nothing to do with price, but formula that is high esters which survive heat better, pao base oil as well, paired with a large amount of extreme pressure additives.

So I agree with you 100%, absent hemi tick PUP is the best choice for the hemi. Maybe not the best choice for cold starts, but the best general oil for the hemi. However, if it comes to having hemi tick or not having hemi tick, use the formula that kills it whatever that may be. If you are running PUP, by all means first try dumping in some cheap lubegard biotech and see if that kills the tick, most of the time it does. If you like to know more read the thread of 100 ram forum members contributed in and read their experience.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
image.jpg I called red lines tech help and he recommended 5-30 over the 5-20 they call for so I stuck with amsoil,the last 5-20 I used was on my wife’s Honda,so I’ll go along with it but still use an additive,Archoil and hope it lasts till I am ready to upgrade my cam and rockers/ lifters,and probably but not hopefully the springs

BillyNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't seen any data referring to mileage between oil changes. Does anyone want to reply with how long they normally change either their Redline or Amsoil? The price seems high unless I'm changing oil less frequently.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We all should be on the same team, trying to find answers for the hole fca put us in with these hemis and hemi tick and cam/lifters. There are some real answers for this as we have proven for a decade right here and only here our own ram forum. 100's of guys who have tested many things, let's accept the results of so many who took the time and energy to share their results. If one oil makes your truck tick and one keeps the tick away, use that oil whatever it is. One oil is sitting on the top of the heep, and it isn't hype but rather it is science.

Redline oil is the one oil that uses line 2 and 5 of chart below for their base oils paired with a sick level of molybdenum and zinc. As it turns out the difference between the base oils and levels of moly compared to other oils that use average moly and group 3 oil surely makes a difference in most hemi's. For those who actually want to know more there are plenty of threads on the matter. One guy can lie or skew info, but we are way past that, this is a ram forum thing, together thanks to massive testing, we came up real answers for hemi tick.

edca8_Images_ML31106_1234x694_02182019_extra_large.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started using bestline with nano diamond technology and low and behold,no more tick! I use 2 12oz bottles and pennzoil platinum. Fram TG filter. Im effin happy! See!

Jim Elliott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use pennsoil platinum synthetic with a bottle of liquid moly. I hear the lifters for about 10-15 seconds in the morning, then it smooths out and hums all day. I get the Pennsoil at Walmart and order the liquid moly from Amazon, the filter is the factory filter also from Walmart. Total cost is less than $50.00.
I am on my second engine. I took the first one to a mechanic with a shop at his home to save money. He made a mistake with the timing and sucked a valve. He said he replaced the valve and had scratched a piston on the top. I let it slide and drove the truck less than 50 miles and it scattered. The piston had a crack not a scratch from hitting the valve. The piston disintegrated, not even in the cylinder anymore. The block was ruined. I bought a 2015 engine and had him install it. It runs fine. Did not let him open the engine. At any rate, Long route to get to the liquid moly combined with Pennsoil Platinum. Should have used a licensed mechanic to avoid the engine having to be replaced.

Terry1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I have a 2005 Ram 5.7 with 44k miles, it is like new. I haven't frequented the forum very often, and don't think I have ever posted. I say this because I am about to post a link from a mechanical engineer that studies automotive lubricants. The site is not sponsored and he does not sell anything, so I don't think I am breaking any posting rules. There is a huge amount of information, and he tests a huge number of oils/weights with some surprising results.
You guys may already be familiar with it, if so, I would like to hear your thoughts.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/