Where to get codes flashed without patina an arm and leg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolmaxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where to get codes flashed without paying an arm and leg?

I just finished a few DIYs (rear cam, brake control, and tow mirrors) on my 13 express and need to get several codes flashed. My local stealer ship wants to charge $110 per code. Where have you guys gotten codes flashed and how much? I'll go on a road trip before coughing up $550 for these codes!
Thanks

OP
OP
C

Coolmaxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's suppose to say paying not patina

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My neighbor is a Dodge mechanic. I went with him to put the codes in my truck on his day off. We just pulled my truck right in his work stall. It took.all of ten or fifteen minutes to put three sales codes in my truck. I would check around for a better price. I think the average price I have seen is around a hour labor and they add as many as you want. Might help to let the dealer know you are aware it only takes a few minutes. That price is ridiculous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coolmaxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I need to just befriend a Chrysler mechanic! Lol I will have to start calling even more dealerships.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
$110 PER CODE? That's freaking outrageous. They can do it all in one fell swoop - they don't have to repeat the process for each code they install.

Look around more - I just paid $60 to flash for my trailer brake controller at Ram in Lodi, CA. Not at all convenient for you, but it at least gives you an idea of price points.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, that dealer is saying each flash is a repair order and minimum book is 1 hour per repair order.

I'd get friendly with a Dodge tech. ;)

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, that dealer is saying each flash is a repair order and minimum book is 1 hour per repair order.

I'd get friendly with a Dodge tech. ;)

That's freaking extortion. The fact that we even need to do this for the majority of our mods is stupid - for instance, the fact that for my tow mirror puddle lights and turn markers to work I need to go get a flash is ludicrous. The only reason that should be is that dodge wanted to make more $$ off people who bought lesser equipped trucks.

And don't get me wrong - I have no problem paying for upgrades. But this type of thing, where you're paying a min hour for EACH upload, when they in reality are all done concurrently, is horse****.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
What is even bigger horse**** is the fact that the codes are not just already in the truck so these items would be PNP. If nothing else they could include the software and a way to install it for the truck owners, similar to when you buy a toy for your computer the manufacturer provides the drivers for it at no cost. WTF should we have to pay FIAT for them in the first place?

Forget about the fact that most dealers and techs lack the knowledge or ability to even do it, or look at you like you have three heads because a lot of them are clueless about the whole business.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Forget about the fact that most dealers and techs lack the knowledge or ability to even do it, or look at you like you have three heads because a lot of them are clueless about the whole business.

That's the biggest pain in the ass - I had to look up the code FOR THEM when they did my brake controller. They did it right after that, but the first person I talked to there, who looked to be an old tech, had no damn clue what was happening. Only after a younger guy got asked did anything happen.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I said in my earlier post I watched my neighbor who is a Dodge mechanic put the codes in my truck it literally takes a matter of minutes and several can be done at one time. If they tell you they can't add more than one at a time they are full.of B.S and trying to take your money or just stupid and don't know how to add them..It's funny you had your trailer brake code added in Lodi. I had my codes done in Elk Grove.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As I said in my earlier post I watched my neighbor who is a Dodge mechanic put the codes in my truck it literally takes a matter of minutes and several can be done at one time. If they tell you they can't add more than one at a time they are full.of B.S and trying to take your money or just stupid and don't know how to add them..It's funny you had your trailer brake code added in Lodi. I had my codes done in Elk Grove.

Nor Cal 4 lyfe!

That aside - yeah, I actually bought the truck in EG, but Lodi was WAY easier to get in for a service appointment, and they were cheaper. Plus - Saturday services hours FTW.

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flashing for OEM upgrades is ridiculous on the new gens. I just did the backup cam mod on my 2013. I didn't have time to connect the last purple wire for the Active Guidelines but the camera still worked perfectly without that feature. The interesting part is the Active Guidelines OPTIONS did not display on my 8.4AN setup screen UNTIL I connected that wire. Meaning... the system is smart enough to know 1 single feature is not available so it's not on the setup menu. The Camera Delay option DID display because it recognized the camera was present.

So yeah, it's Chryslers way of making money for their dealerships. ALL non-essential codes could be valid from the factory now that everything is digital. The computers are fast enough to know immediately on start if something is connected or not. And it doesn't take a whole lot of programming to provide fail safes if it senses a system change from one start to the next.

OP
OP
C

Coolmaxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that charging over 100 per code is ridiculous. I did find another dealership that charges 105 for all codes I need so I will use them. I am still aggravated that the closest dealership wants to rip me off. I'll make sure never to use them for anything

C6Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that charging over 100 per code is ridiculous. I did find another dealership that charges 105 for all codes I need so I will use them. I am still aggravated that the closest dealership wants to rip me off. I'll make sure never to use them for anything

I wasn't even going to shop around but when my local dealer said I needed to make an appointment 2 weeks out, I politely questioned the reasoning since a flash is a couple minute procedure. He went on about how it's a long process yada yada yada. Well, the yada yada yada sounded to me like, "it may only be a few minutes but I'm going to charge you out the ***** anyway..."

The next closest dealer said, "Sure, bring it in." I said, but it's Saturday, aren't you too busy? "Yeah, but it won't take too long."

When I drove it in the writer wasn't sure if it could be flashed before the install but was willing to take my word for it. He asked if I knew the code, I said XAC... The mechanic didn't think it would work either but said he didn't have a problem trying anyway. 15 minutes later the writer came out and said he guessed it worked since the screen turned blue in reverse. Paid my $60 and left with a smile.

It's always good to know who's willing to handle the simple things easily because sooner or later you're going to need something big fixed.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I am a former diehard Chevy owner, and I have to admit the main reason I chose Ram this time was styling and price. That said I am finding the Fiat dealership support system absolutely sucks, it is by far worse than Ford or Chevy. Never have I met such clueless, incompetent service people be it the service manager, service writer, parts person and techs.

I will say the Fiat parts system in general is very poorly catalogued so that even seasoned veteran parts guys can't find things. As far as the service department in general, I personally cannot believe they are all as stupid as they pretend to be. I believe a lot of the misinformation they feed us is scripted by Fiat, and some of it is so absurd even they do not believe it. I also believe that they are inadequately trained and lack any type of support network. Then there are the secret agents from "STAR", the service manager talks about them like they are all geniuses who can figure out anything. The reality is these star agents are really just high school gradutes who answer phones and read canned scripts, what a f%%%ng joke.

Bottom line is this is my first and I really like the truck in general, but it may be my last Fiat or if rumors come to fruition Chinese truck.

Yes there are talks in the works with a Chinese group looking to buy FIAT, bad enough these trucks are now made by Fiat, but China. FRIG that
Just my 0.02 cents sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

horn.blower.58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 3.0
I kinda agree with you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk