Where to route cable for power inverter from battery to inside Ram 1500 cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sortinousn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,

I just purchased a 1000 watt power inverter to charge my drone batteries on the road as the DC plug on the dash doesn’t proved enough wattage. I’m looking to have the inverter underneath the passenger seat or sitting on the floor near the center console. I just need to know the best way to route the 4 gauge wires from the battery to the cab without having to drill any holes in the truck if possible. I never installed something like this before so it’s new to me. Thanks!.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a plug on Driver side by steering Colum

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where dilligaf is trying to point you is a clutch blank off plate in the firewall. You would need to order a wire grommet and drill a hole through the plate for a grommet so you can run your wires through it safely. Here’s the one I’m running as well as quite a few other people.
Daystar, Universal Firewall Boot, Single, Accommodates 3/8" to 1" Diameter Wire Bundles, fits any vehicle that needs a wire loom, KU20040BK, Made in America , Black https://a.co/d/dcSSJ6X

zrock

Reaction score
Surprised teh dash plug is not working for you i can charge all my RC batteries off mine

OP
OP
S

Sortinousn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprised teh dash plug is not working for you i can charge all my RC batteries off mine
Yea, it charges 1 battery fine, but I have a 3 bank charger that i need to use to charge multiple batteries at once since I'm usually flying 4 sites a day. I always need access to at least 3 charged batteries that I can continuously rotate out to charge while I'm driving to another site. What i'm more confused about is why they would sell a 250W Power inverter that only connects via car charger when most car charging ports output a max of 125W to 150W. The least they could do was add terminals to the back of the inverter so I can connect it to the battery.

OP
OP
S

Sortinousn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where dilligaf is trying to point you is a clutch blank off plate in the firewall. You would need to order a wire grommet and drill a hole through the plate for a grommet so you can run your wires through it safely. Here’s the one I’m running as well as quite a few other people.
Daystar, Universal Firewall Boot, Single, Accommodates 3/8" to 1" Diameter Wire Bundles, fits any vehicle that needs a wire loom, KU20040BK, Made in America , Black https://a.co/d/dcSSJ6X
Awesome that's very helpful. I saw a video where the guy installed the grommet and ran it thru the passenger side floor and mounted the inverter under the seat and sealed it with some silicone.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you look at the passenger seat
Under the seat cushion, on the seat frame

( when you are sitting in the seat, reach down between your legs )

1664346369027.png
You may have a mounting point

Both my 2009 & my 2016 Rams have small inverter mounted there, it is OEM.

If you look around, either under the passenger seat floor covering or under the door sill plate, you may find unused wiring harness

It may not have power going to it, but it may only need a Fuse

Good Luck

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just need to know the best way to route the 4 gauge wires from the battery to the cab without having to drill any holes in the truck if possible.
As mentioned above the plate covering the hole for where the clutch.
You only need to run the positive wire from the battery, the negative wire can be grounded using one of the seat or seatbelt bolts. Don't forget about fusing the wire by the vehicle battery.

zrock

Reaction score
Yea, it charges 1 battery fine, but I have a 3 bank charger that i need to use to charge multiple batteries at once since I'm usually flying 4 sites a day. I always need access to at least 3 charged batteries that I can continuously rotate out to charge while I'm driving to another site. What i'm more confused about is why they would sell a 250W Power inverter that only connects via car charger when most car charging ports output a max of 125W to 150W. The least they could do was add terminals to the back of the inverter so I can connect it to the battery.
Ok that makes more sense.. Yes those 250 watt invertors are just a gimmick. re member with your new install keep the wires as short as possible, or make sure to follow manufacturer directions and size up the wire if running a longer distance.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 250w inverter I had came with a battery cable and the accessory plug cable so you could swap if you needed the full 250w otherwise it said do not use more than 150w on the accessory cable. You could always cut your leads off and splice on alligator clamps